Questions about improving my Rayven

Rayven battery voltage underbarrel

4 replies to this topic

#1 Hardly Ideal

Hardly Ideal

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 07:29 PM

I love my Rayven, but I hate to admit it isn't doing as well as it should. Its range could be better, and an underbarrel add-on would help keep me safe during reloads. But last I checked, the blaster's been discontinued, so I thought I'd ask before doing something drastic and/or irreversible.

1) I understand that a voltage increase is a quick and easy way to get more range and speed. From what I understand, the most common solutions are higher voltage AAs (i.e. TrustFire 3.7v with dummy cells), or a dedicated 12v battery pack. Are there any alternatives I'm missing?
1a) I wonder if there's a way to use more conventional 1.5v batteries to reach 12 volts, like adding a second pack on the side somewhere. I'm just a little reluctant to buy a whole new charger just for a Nerf gun.

2) As far as underbarrel blasters go, there's almost too many to choose from. I'm leaning towards one of those Barrel Strikes but I have no idea if it'd fit onto the Rayven's mounting lug. Has anyone put those two together? If that won't work, I'll probably go with a Recon Barrel with something attached with 3D-printed rail-to-rail adapters; it'd give me an excuse to get a Rough Cut, at least.

...are you sure this thing is on?

#2 Maniacal Coyote

Maniacal Coyote

• Members
  • 355 posts
  • State:California
  • u/Maniacal_coyote on Reddit

Posted 10 November 2017 - 08:50 PM

1) No, you've covered the two options: Stronger AA-size cells or a dedicated power cell

2) The Barrelstrike could work, or a Recon/Retaliator barrel with Roughcut underneath. Or, if you want to have compact firepower, you could slap an XBZ on top, and rig up an absolver barrel for it that you can swap out for a grenade launcher or pipe barrel for longer-range potshots. Need a shotgun blast while reloading? Just slap the big, orange button.

I know how to help you because I have broken every rule in the book.

USER WAS BANNED FOR BEING A HEARTLESS PORRIDGE WOG.

#3 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Contributors
  • 900 posts
  • State:Washington
  • u/MeakerVI on Reddit

Posted 10 November 2017 - 09:52 PM

ugh. Just lost a big post.

TLDR (because the internet deleted it for you):

Dont use ***fires
Hobby/rc/airsoft packs in 2-3s (~6-14v) configurations are typical, but there are other options: big bricks o batteries are basically just packs without wrappers and drill/power tool batteries should be capable of supplying the demand we have.
Dont forget that voltage mods should also include new wires, motors, and switches; look up MTBs stryfe modguide
The Rayvans barrel lug is the same standard since the LS as far as I can tell, most accessories should work with it just fine.

#4 Hardly Ideal

Hardly Ideal

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:53 PM

2) The Barrelstrike could work, or a Recon/Retaliator barrel with Roughcut underneath. Or, if you want to have compact firepower, you could slap an XBZ on top, and rig up an absolver barrel for it that you can swap out for a grenade launcher or pipe barrel for longer-range potshots. Need a shotgun blast while reloading? Just slap the big, orange button.

Adding a Roughcut seems to be a pretty popular option, which I might spring for if I get access to a 3D printer again. I've already got a rail-to-rail adapter model ready.

But I notice that pretty much everyone cuts the handle off theirs when they use it as an underbarrel. Is it not possible to keep it intact?

Dont use ***fires
Hobby/rc/airsoft packs in 2-3s (~6-14v) configurations are typical, but there are other options: big bricks o batteries are basically just packs without wrappers and drill/power tool batteries should be capable of supplying the demand we have.
Dont forget that voltage mods should also include new wires, motors, and switches; look up MTBs stryfe modguide
The Rayvans barrel lug is the same standard since the LS as far as I can tell, most accessories should work with it just fine.

I would like to give it an overhaul someday, but I'd like to take it slow. That's a lot of stuff to do, and I'm a bit short on time and electronics skill to just dive in.

...are you sure this thing is on?

#5 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Contributors
  • 900 posts
  • State:Washington
  • u/MeakerVI on Reddit

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:43 PM

I would like to give it an overhaul someday, but I'd like to take it slow. That's a lot of stuff to do, and I'm a bit short on time and electronics skill to just dive in.

Just don't use ***Fires, they may actually set the blaster on fire. Use IMR's if you must use cells like that.

Do you have, or have a friend/relative/school who has, a soldering iron? My first rewire was my Strayvan, Nerf soldering is really about as easy to do as it gets. Watch MTB's video and IIRC FDS has a video on soldering; if not find one.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Rayven, battery, voltage, underbarrel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users