Photo

Flywheel ammo length?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Xhosant

Xhosant

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 08:35 AM

So, I was thinking: stefans are shorter than standard darts, right?

A longer dart gives more time for the flywheel to speed up the shot.

But, since it ends up pushing the back, it might cause the dart to flip out of control.

So what's the ideal flywheel dart length?

#2 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Contributors
  • 881 posts
  • State:Washington
  • u/MeakerVI on Reddit

Posted 05 October 2017 - 09:49 AM

Full-length darts do fine out of flywheel blasters up to speeds that would cause darts that length to whirlybird anyway. Short darts (1/2 length, 1/3) tend to get less velocity from the wheels, unless using systems like Turok's Hycon, OFP's new Eclipse setup, or other big-wheel or high envelopment setups. Then, just like in springer nerf, the shorter darts should be more stable and similar velocity, though the system might still put more energy into a long dart.

#3 Xhosant

Xhosant

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 10:56 AM

Let me get this, Eclipse squishes the dart to avoid slip and maximise push-age? Or spin the wheels faster than would be practical with less friction?

And what's HyCon's thing?

#4 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Contributors
  • 881 posts
  • State:Washington
  • u/MeakerVI on Reddit

Posted 05 October 2017 - 12:17 PM

Both Eclipse and Hycon do the same thing. Or rather, they do similar things in slightly different ways. Hycon requires a brushless motor setup with a custom build, Eclipse will be run off standard super-stock brushed motors and should fit into stock blasters.

Both have flywheels with a substantial "C" shaped concave outer edge. The purpose is to have maximum contact between the dart and the flywheels. Higher contact means more possible friction. Another way to achieve higher friction is increased crush ("squish") on the dart. The crush is actually pretty minor on either of these wheel designs as I understand it, but because the dart is being fed through an essentially circular channel, it has a similar effect to a pretty high-crush setup without the damage to the darts such a setup can cause.

FPS for both setups appears to be ~180 FPS depending on the exact setup. High-crush setups have been getting higher and higher numbers, but I don't know if I've seen higher than 160-170 FPS out of a high crush system, and as I mentioned, that kind of setup usually destroys darts.

#5 ToadBrews

ToadBrews

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • State:Ohio
  • Andrew Nagy on Youtube

Posted Today, 12:48 AM

High concavity, standard crush setups should also be able to fire harder tipped darts like FVJ's, which high crush setups struggle with, right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users