Photo

Recon and Retaliator - how similar are they?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Vim Fuego

Vim Fuego

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:26 PM

I bought the OMW stage 1 & 2 Retaliator kits because they were on special, but I don't have a Retaliator to put them in yet. But then I got to wondering, how similar are the internals of the Recon to the Retaliator?

Has anyone here swapped parts from one to the other, if it's even possible? Would the kit go into a Recon?

Any info would be good info - thanks :)

#2 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 09:15 PM

They're pretty similar, people frequently make 'retalicons', taking the cooler-looking (old) transparent recon shells and dropping retaliator innards in. I've not tried it, so I'm not sure how similar they are, but I've seen enough builds that it can't be difficult.

Unless you mean the Recon II, which is supposed to be identical on the inside.

#3 IAmAPenguin

IAmAPenguin

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 10:03 PM

The main internal difference Between the two is the plunger system. The recon housed an old-school 'reverse plunger' system similar to that found in a LSFG, barrel break, raider ect. This is a two piece plunger system that features a breech piece and a plunger tube with the catch notch built into it. The boltsled is attached to the breech piece and that pushes the plunger tube back so it can engage with the catch. This system inherently has a large amount of dead space and your choice of spring is limited to what can slide over the tube in most cases (although this was fixed in a way with the so called 'power stock' mod).
The retaliator features a modern, elite style 'direct plunger' system which is a much more reliable and efficient setup. This is a 3 piece system where the actual plunger tube is stationary in the blaster and the breech piece pushes back on a plunger rod with the catch notch on it. Thie rod then engages with the catch and the breech can slide forward again to chamber a dart. This system is more expensive to produce but it was required to achieve the improved elite velocities (~65fps with elite darts). Long story short, the only interchangerble parts of the kit are the trigger and the boltsled. The recon internals can be switched with retaliator internals but not without some pretty respectable shell modifications.
Plus, there really isn't any point in doing that if you have to buy a retaliator anyway, unless you have a sonic or clear series shell.
Hope you could understand all of that, thanks.
"If this shit breaks, im'a sue physics." - Me everytime i make something.

#4 Bubba Longshot

Bubba Longshot

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 10:05 PM

I bought the OMW stage 1 & 2 Retaliator kits because they were on special, but I don't have a Retaliator to put them in yet. But then I got to wondering, how similar are the internals of the Recon to the Retaliator?

Has anyone here swapped parts from one to the other, if it's even possible? Would the kit go into a Recon?

Any info would be good info - thanks :)

No, the Retaliator OMW kits will not work in the Recon. The Recon uses a reverse plunger, whereas the Retaliator uses a more efficient direct-plunger. Due to that, the parts are not cross compatable. I think the boltsleds are identical along with the spring reinforcement plate, but other then that, no cross compatibility. The OMW kits are designed for the Retaliator and the Retaliator only (the kits will fit in the Recon Mk II too).
Solution: Buy a Retaliator or Recon Mk II

EDIT: Basically what IAmAPenguin said.

Edited by Bubba Longshot, 01 September 2017 - 10:07 PM.

"The only thing that sucks about Nerf modification is the anxiety that something will break... That's why we reinforce a whole lot!" -Me

#5 Vim Fuego

Vim Fuego

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 11:05 PM

Thanks for the replies, guys. Exactly what I needed to know.

Back to the hunt for a Retaliator!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users