Photo

star wars kyn erso blaster imr upgrade?

6 replies to this topic

#1 scruffynerfherder

scruffynerfherder

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 02:55 PM

Hey everyone. My buddy just picked up a nerf jyn erso flywheel blaster (both big star wars fans!) And I got to thinking about batteries and upgrades.

First thought was, simple, better batteries! But then started thinking imr batteries should still help with shooting darts faster like most flywheel nerf blasters, but very worried they would burn up the the other electronics in the blaster like the sound effect, lights on barrel and the "firefly" light that makes the darts glow.

Will throwing 2-3 imr batteries in there improve dart shooting ability without destroying the lights and sounds?

If no, is there a way to upgrade the jyn erso flywheel blaster without destroying the lights and sound?

If not for being big star wars fans we would likely get rid of all the lights and sounds and upgrade it as if it were a stryfe. Being star wars fans, we want to keep the lights and sound, but hopefully upgrade the shooting aspect if possible.

Ideas? Suggestions?

#2 Silly

Silly

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:44 PM

Re wire to run on separate battery trays. One for flywheels, one for effects.

Co-Owner of the History of Nerf Modding research project, moderator of r/Nerf, owner of BlasterWiki, maker of 3d printed blasters (GitHub/Thingi) and Nerfy art.

#3 Eightdotno

Eightdotno

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:31 AM

You could do what drac did and put a bunch of resistors befor the lights and sounds.

#4 Lasagna

Lasagna

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:44 AM

Maybe you could also do some cool stuff with a microcontroller for the LEDs and stuff. I do a bunch of Arduino stuff, and you could probably wire up the lights to do some pattern, I've done some stuff like that.

#5 scruffynerfherder

scruffynerfherder

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:22 PM

I sadly am not too good with electronics.

I am much better with mechanical things. I've worked the past ten years as an auto technician with some construction here and there. I could basically build you a car and put it in a house I built, but always need an "electrical genius" to do all the wiring and ecu's etc lol.

I feel comfortable doing minor electrical stuff, but a lot of it is a little over my head.

Does anyone know if 2 imr batteries and 2 dummie cells would destroy the lights and sound effects in this blaster? Neither of us really want to rewire it, add resistors, replace switches etc. We just want to up the voltage a tad but do NOT want to destroy the light/sound effects as we are both big star wars fans....

#6 scruffynerfherder

scruffynerfherder

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:09 PM

Is this an instance where solarbotics rm2 motors could come in handy using 4 nimh rechargable aa's?

My friend (owner of blaster) isn't too hardcore into nerf and doesn't feel like doing a rewire, resistors for lights/sound fx, seperate batteries for motors and light/sound fx, lipo or nimh packs, nor is he looking for top tier performance. Neither of us want to mess up or mess with the light/sound fx either.

All he really wants its a little better dart velocity (fps and range). not too worried about wind-up or re-wind up between shots. Just single shot velocity.

So as far as I know, that leaves us with using 2 imr's and 2 dummie cells with stock motors (hoping the little extra voltage won't destoy the lights/sound fx), OR using different motors that can deliver higher dart velocity (only single shot fps, not follow up shot/windup/rewind up) using stock 4.8 volts from 4 nimh aa's.

I know rhino's or 180's and lipo with full rewire is the best way to go and what everyone will suggest, but neither of us want to deal with the extra lights/sounds in the blaster since we are both big star wars fans....

So, out of the two combinations (2 imr 2 dummie aa stock motors /or/ 4 nimh aa and rm2 motors) we are considering, which would be best for single shot fps? Stock motors at 7.4v via 2 imr's, or rm2 motors at 4.8v via 4 nimh aa's?

We are thinking that the light/sound effects would prefer the 4.8volt rm2 setup more than the 7.4volt imr setup but not sure which would provide higher single shot fps (again not worried about windup, follow up shots, rewindup, just single shot velocity)

So tell me what you think.

#7 dangman4ever

dangman4ever

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:52 AM

Is this an instance where solarbotics rm2 motors could come in handy using 4 nimh rechargable aa's?

My friend (owner of blaster) isn't too hardcore into nerf and doesn't feel like doing a rewire, resistors for lights/sound fx, seperate batteries for motors and light/sound fx, lipo or nimh packs, nor is he looking for top tier performance. Neither of us want to mess up or mess with the light/sound fx either.

All he really wants its a little better dart velocity (fps and range). not too worried about wind-up or re-wind up between shots. Just single shot velocity.

So as far as I know, that leaves us with using 2 imr's and 2 dummie cells with stock motors (hoping the little extra voltage won't destoy the lights/sound fx), OR using different motors that can deliver higher dart velocity (only single shot fps, not follow up shot/windup/rewind up) using stock 4.8 volts from 4 nimh aa's.

I know rhino's or 180's and lipo with full rewire is the best way to go and what everyone will suggest, but neither of us want to deal with the extra lights/sounds in the blaster since we are both big star wars fans....

So, out of the two combinations (2 imr 2 dummie aa stock motors /or/ 4 nimh aa and rm2 motors) we are considering, which would be best for single shot fps? Stock motors at 7.4v via 2 imr's, or rm2 motors at 4.8v via 4 nimh aa's?

We are thinking that the light/sound effects would prefer the 4.8volt rm2 setup more than the 7.4volt imr setup but not sure which would provide higher single shot fps (again not worried about windup, follow up shots, rewindup, just single shot velocity)

So tell me what you think.

The RM2 route would technically have slightly higher performance than stock motors at 4.8v. However, their lifespan are ridiculously short. Some people have reported their RM2 just surviving no more than one nerf battle. In terms of raw performance and overall reliability, IMR is your best bet. Only go with the RM2 if you're willing to open up the blaster and replace (not swap) the motors after every fight. Yes, they're that terrible. 

Also, note that the Captain Cassian Deluxe blaster is already being discounted/set to clearance at many Target stores around the US. They're ranging in price from  $25 to $40 (a lot less than the $80 MSRP). So if you're that worried about ruining a one of a kind blaster, you can get a better replacement now. 

Edited by dangman4ever, 20 July 2017 - 02:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users