Alternate SNAP triggers?

homemades

4 replies to this topic

#1 SirDudenstein

SirDudenstein

• FNG1 
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:02 PM

A friend of mine has recently built a SNAP.He let me fire it a few times and as you know the SNAP has a clothespin as a trigger/catch.It felt like it would break at any moment when I was firing it.Wondering if there is anything more durable then a wood or plastic clothespin.Has anyone made a different design then the regular clothespin or is this the only way so far and no alternative

#2 Spud Spudoni

Spud Spudoni

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:45 PM

I've seen people use two pieces of polycarbonate instead of the clothespin body, with the original spring from the clothespin connecting the two pieces. But at that rate, it'd be more beneficial and more durable to just make the leap to a rainbow variant catch style.

industrial designer

#3 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:31 AM

I haven't found anything more durable or convenient in the eleven years I've been building them. Mostly because it doesn't need to be more durable.

A clothespin is just a lever with a built-in return spring, so you can use pretty much anything that serves the same function, and any kind of spring. All the clothespin has to do is lift the nail, and then return it after firing. Keep in mind though, that the clothespin should have pretty much zero stress on it during firing and cocking. All the work of resisting the spring is done by the nail and the PVC wall.

In most every case I've seen where people complain of a "wimpy clothespin", it's been because the nailhole was drilled too big, transferring far too much motion and stress to the clothespin, causing binding. The SNAP has its share of faults, but the clothespin being too weak for its necessary function isn't one of them.

Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#4 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:54 AM

Carbon has you covered - barring building a Rainbow you're stuck with the clothespin since it's the cheapest easiest way to get the desired motion. However, you've reminded me of something I've been cooking up and meaning to post; watch this space.

Here you go, if you have a 3d printer this is easier to build than a snap and no more expensive.

Edited by Meaker VI, 18 July 2017 - 06:34 PM.

#5 Snoop Doggy doge

Snoop Doggy doge

Fig you, Van

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:50 PM

one of these, lol

http://nerfhaven.com... +sear +carbine

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: homemades

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users