Photo

larger faux barrel in proximity barrel?

5 replies to this topic

#1 scruffynerfherder

scruffynerfherder

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 11:30 AM

Hey guys I am wondering if any of you have replaced the small diameter faux barrel in the proximity barrel in exchange for a larger diameter faux barrel.

I just got a proximity barrel for my stryfe and I looove the way it looks but I feel like my darts are grabbing it since it has the smaller diameter faux barrel. I want to put a larger diameter peice in there but would really like to see if/how others have done it before I tear it apart.

Anyone done it? Seen other that did it? Suggestions?

#2 Arrowstorm360

Arrowstorm360

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 10:24 PM

As far as I'm aware, I don't think anyone has done that yet. But there's good reason behind it.

If you've taken a good look at the attachment, you may notice there are no screw ports, and with it, no screws. This thing is solvent welded shut. Your best bet as to getting in is with a saw or a rotary tool, for example, a Dremel. After that, just carve out the inner shell for the larger diameter faux barrel.

Even if you got that far, you may have a rather hard time getting it back together. Remember, no screws to keep it shut. You could go about making screw ports, which I assume will be time consuming, but will allow you to take it apart later.

There is also the option of solvent welding it shut again, provided that your skills with a saw/rotary tool are decent and you haven't destroyed the barrel whilst cutting it open and carving out bits and bobs for the faux barrel. Nerf blasters (and whatever else Hasbro decides to make for the line) are primarily made up of ABS plastic, so there is plenty of solvent welds out there for that purpose. Here's a list of solvent welds by Zorn's Lemma, read up on it, and look up the solvent welds usable with ABS.

#3 GensoNerf

GensoNerf

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 01:55 PM

Personally, I would use a rotary tool to create a larger diameter barrel without taking it apart and then once its big enough, slot in some thin wall 3/4 in PVC to keep the dart from snagging on any rough edges from boring out the barrel.  you then wouldn't need to cut it open or re-attatch anything, but you would need to make sure your hole was at least mostly straight.  

If your making an extended barrel or enlarging the barrel diameter on anything, I recommend using 3/4 in. thin wall PVC, its outer diameter is a little bit bigger than the inner diameter of an N-Strike barrel attachment point, and with a little bit of sanding, will friction fit nicely into any barrel attachment.  the only problem is that if you use only the friction fit, it can spin a bit sometimes.  This isn't a problem if you integrate an actual barrel attachment onto the pipe though.

Hope this helps, and whatever you end up doing, I wish you luck.

#4 scruffynerfherder

scruffynerfherder

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 08:53 PM

Well I ended up usinf a small thin flathead and needlenose pliers to rip the small diameter "rifled barrel" out of the proximity barrel attachment, then used a stepped drill bit and cone shaped grinding stone bit to bore out the opening until I could barely fit a chunk of 3/4" copper or brass tubing inside.

The 3/4" pipe fits pretty nice over the small barrel inside the muzzle on thhe stryfe and helps keep the attachment from moving as much as it originally did. And the darts fly much more consistent than they did originally. I still need to trim the pipe a little so it doesn't stick out past the orange plastic. Pics are terrible, but better than no pics.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20170708_214411.jpg
  • IMG_20170708_214501.jpg
  • IMG_20170708_214151.jpg

#5 GensoNerf

GensoNerf

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 04:18 PM

Cool!  That's not how I would have done it but thats one of the best parts of the hobby, seeing how other people solve the same problem differently.  

#6 scruffynerfherder

scruffynerfherder

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 04:40 PM

I still get a few darts coming in contact with the larger "barrel" but not as many as it did with the smaller oe "barrel". I'm still not fully happy but it is better than it was. I might need to use a 3/4"-1" adapter and 1" tubing but I don't know. Probably should have tried to find some nice smooth plastic or aluminum instead of a random chunk of pipe I had laying around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users