Photo

Flywheel and Cage Questions

12 replies to this topic

#1 EricTzH

EricTzH

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 07:45 PM

I wish to get a battery cage and flywheel for my stryfe but i some questions that Google couldn't answer me:

1. What is the meaning of "Brushless" cage or motor? Is that okay to use brushless cage for non-brushless motor? 
(mine is Meishel 2.0 motor, which I believe its not a brushless motor)

2. How to choose a flywheel to buy?
( I saw there's many brand of flywheel in etsy,  each brands has different type of flywheel too, while I saw worker produced metal flywheel which looks cool but not sure if thats practical.. is there any way to check their specs/any judging methods besides of using the "more expensive means better performance" approach?)

Edited by EricTzH, 29 June 2017 - 07:49 PM.

#2 Speedr117

Speedr117

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:12 PM

1. I don't know much about brushless motors, but they are infinitely more complex and require ecs and other fancy electronics to work. They are also a different shape and lots more torque so cages are custom made for them.
2. Flywheels don't matter as much as the cage, motors and battery. Holligan wheels, worker plastic, and artifact plastic work best.

If you have setup correctly, you are running a 2s lipo with meishel motors. I would recommend a medium crush OpenFlywheelProject cage with worker or artifact plastic wheels. Don't get a high crush cage or metal flywheels as meishels, while more than most 130s, don't have enough torque.

#3 NerfGeek416

NerfGeek416

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:37 PM

POPULAR

Your Meishels limit you to a 43mm setup, maybe a 42mm if you run smaller diameter wheels like worker. I designed the OFP cages, and second them as an excellent budget option. Metal wheels should always, always be avoided. 

#4 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 11:08 PM

1. Brushless motors don't have the metal/carbon brushes that traditional brushed motors have. Most aftermarket cages are designed to accommodate stock-geometry (traditional) motors, and thus cannot accommodate brushless motors. Your Meishel motors are brushed and will fit in most any cage. You don't want a canted cage, those impart spin which hasn't been shown to improve anything about the dart trajectory.
  2. Hooligan or Containment Crew are the current top performers IIRC, with worker and artifact being solid choices. I've seen reports of overtight fit from hooligan. You don't want metal or toothed wheels.

Make sure your battery is up to running Meishels - they're Amp hogs, stalling at more than double the amps a Rhino does each. You need two motors, so you're talking ~37 amps at stall (vs. ~16 for rhinos).

#5 EricTzH

EricTzH

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 03:04 AM

1. Brushless motors don't have the metal/carbon brushes that traditional brushed motors have. Most aftermarket cages are designed to accommodate stock-geometry (traditional) motors, and thus cannot accommodate brushless motors. Your Meishel motors are brushed and will fit in most any cage. You don't want a canted cage, those impart spin which hasn't been shown to improve anything about the dart trajectory.
  2. Hooligan or Containment Crew are the current top performers IIRC, with worker and artifact being solid choices. I've seen reports of overtight fit from hooligan. You don't want metal or toothed wheels.

Make sure your battery is up to running Meishels - they're Amp hogs, stalling at more than double the amps a Rhino does each. You need two motors, so you're talking ~37 amps at stall (vs. ~16 for rhinos).

due to im using it on a Rapid Red, i choose a smaller battery: https://hobbyking.co...?___store=en_us . Not sure if it will works well. may i know is that 37 amps is refer to constant or burst?

Specs:

Capacity: 950mAh
Voltage: 2S1P / 2 Cell / 7.4V
Discharge: 25C Constant / 50C Burst

Edited by EricTzH, 30 June 2017 - 03:20 AM.

#6 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:11 AM

POPULAR

due to im using it on a Rapid Red, i choose a smaller battery: https://hobbyking.co...?___store=en_us . Not sure if it will works well. may i know is that 37 amps is refer to constant or burst?

Specs:
Capacity: 950mAh
Voltage: 2S1P / 2 Cell / 7.4V
Discharge: 25C Constant / 50C Burst

Its *probably* fine, that's stall amperage so it should be short. And you usually don't hold the rev trigger down for longer than "burst" anyway.

#7 Mistr-MADness

Mistr-MADness

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:36 AM

1. I don't know much about brushless motors, but they are infinitely more complex and require ecs and other fancy electronics to work. They are also a different shape and lots more torque so cages are custom made for them.

You can run brushless motors in normal SSS cages. Torukmakto's T17 uses two brushless motors in an AR cage: http://torukmakto4.b...-continued.html.

2. Flywheels don't matter as much as the cage, motors and battery. Holligan wheels, worker plastic, and artifact plastic work best.

Your flywheels matter a way more than the cage you use. Two balanced flywheels are the key to improving vibration and precision in your build.

#8 shandsgator8

shandsgator8

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 09:43 AM

What affect do flywheels and cages have on precision and accuracy of the darts?

#9 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 10:57 AM

They shouldn't really have any effect at all, but the diehard flywheelers insist they do.

[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#10 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 02:01 PM

They shouldn't really have any effect at all, but the diehard flywheelers insist they do.

Yeah, flywheel balance and trueness is super important. Stryfe wheels are usually OK as-is, but I tried some Blasterparts wheels (don't use them, they're undersized) and that thing was silent. Your cage being "better" just means higher tolerances and stiffer materials so it doesn't flex and darts enter the same way every time. If you've designed the setup for high-crush, that'll boost FPS at the expense of dart longevity.

#11 shandsgator8

shandsgator8

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 03:50 PM

And by "high crush," that means less space b/w the flywheels, so the dart gets deformed more as it passes through the flywheels?

#12 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 04:14 PM

And by "high crush," that means less space b/w the flywheels, so the dart gets deformed more as it passes through the flywheels?

Yes, exactly.

[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#13 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:04 PM

To add/clarify, high crush cages generally get higher FPS. Up until it's too tight for the darts to physically fit and/or for the motors to be able to maintain speed, anyway.

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users