Painting Images or Personal Logos

7 replies to this topic

#1 Byron

Byron

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 05:59 PM

Hello,
So I have just finished some internal mods on some blasters and wanted to paint them. I also wanted to put a personal logo on them as well. Due to the circular nature of my logo and how intricate it is, a stencil is out of the picture, as is painting it by hand. I was wondering if any of you had an ideas about some ways that I could paint them on.
Thanks guys.

#2 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 06:24 PM

You can do a stencil for part of the design or only use the stencil as a layout template for that design. I've made these out of cardstock of thin sheets of plastic to transfer design outlines. You don't have to make a stencil for the entire linework, but just for the majority of the areas.

I forget the Italian word for it since it's been decade since I took Art History, but you can print out the design you want to transfer then use a thumbstack to stab a bunch of holes into the linework. You can use the pinholes to add a bunch of points through the paper onto the item you want to transfer it to. This traditionally was done with chalk or graphite.

The other lazier alternative is to get your design made as a vinyl cut decal and just apply it. Or use a projector to project you image onto the item you are painting.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#3 Spud Spudoni

Spud Spudoni

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 06:32 PM

I forget the Italian word for it since it's been decade since I took Art History, but you can print out the design you want to transfer then use a thumbstack to stab a bunch of holes into the linework. You can use the pinholes to add a bunch of points through the paper onto the item you want to transfer it to. This traditionally was done with chalk or graphite.

I don't know about an Italian word, but this sounds doing a "prick and pounce". Very similar concept if not.

Otherwise, you can always try outsourcing your logo to someone that makes custom rub on decals. It'll make your exact image, and you rub it onto your surface and peel the protective out of foil. If the logo has any negative space, there won't be any excess clear decal, giving a more professional look. 

After applying it, you can always clear coat over it and your paint and the decal will be apart of the overall paint of the blaster.

industrial designer

#4 Byron

Byron

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:09 AM

The symbol I want to paint is the same as my profile picture. So making a stencil would be rather difficult as the lines are so thin. Getting a rub on decal sounds like it would work. I don't particulary want to use a sticker, as I think it would look tacky and cheap, plus it might peel off over time.
Regardless, thanks heaps for your input on the matter.

#5 Spud Spudoni

Spud Spudoni

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 04:35 PM

I don't particulary want to use a sticker, as I think it would look tacky and cheap, plus it might peel off over time.

That's why you clear coat over it.

industrial designer

#6 Byron

Byron

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 04:47 PM

But wouldn't putting a clear coat over the sticker still leave a bit of a bump around the edges?

#7 Spud Spudoni

Spud Spudoni

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 05:14 PM

Not really. A few coats will do it. Vinyl stickers are very thin. 

I'd recommend doing more research on this subject anyway.

Edited by Spud Spudoni, 28 June 2017 - 05:16 PM.

industrial designer

#8 Vim Fuego

Vim Fuego

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 06:13 PM

You could try this stuff too: http://www.ebay.com/itm/360806527098

You can use it with your home inkjet/laser printers. It outputs as water-slide decals, just like the ones you get in kitset models.

They're a lot thinner than vinyl stickers, but not as hard-wearing. You'll definitely need a thin coat of varnish over the top of them to give them a bit of longevity...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users