Quick catch mechanism question

Catch

4 replies to this topic

#1 Bubba Longshot

Bubba Longshot

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:04 AM

Ok, so I've recently upgraded my Longshot to a ~6.5-8kg spring. To handle the increase in spring power, I added two extra springs to the stock catch. It catches fine, but I am encountering what may or may not be an issue. So the prime weight is fine, but when I get to the last cm or draw stroke, I kind of have to force it back with some more pressure. I'm assuming this is because of the extra catch springs, causing more downwards force. Thus me having to force it back more. Is this normal for blasters with a stronger catch? Also, will this eventually break the stock catch mechanism?

Thanks
Bubba
"The only thing that sucks about Nerf modification is the anxiety that something will break... That's why we reinforce a whole lot!" -Me

#2 hcat625

hcat625

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 09:12 AM

Ok, so I've recently upgraded my Longshot to a ~6.5-8kg spring. To handle the increase in spring power, I added two extra springs to the stock catch. It catches fine, but I am encountering what may or may not be an issue. So the prime weight is fine, but when I get to the last cm or draw stroke, I kind of have to force it back with some more pressure. I'm assuming this is because of the extra catch springs, causing more downwards force. Thus me having to force it back more. Is this normal for blasters with a stronger catch? Also, will this eventually break the stock catch mechanism?

Thanks
Bubba

I do not know if it will break the original catch but I think it is totally not a problem. 

#3 SkullBunny

SkullBunny

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 09:25 AM

The thing about catch power to spring power it's pretty hard to find a really good good ratio. It seems like your catch is too much for your spring, I say this because you should have a smooth prime. Even with my 12-14 kg longhsot, my prime is hard, but smooth. I would say reduce your catch spring until it still catches but doesn't release if you hit the blaster on its side.
(✿◕‿◕)

#4 Eightdotno

Eightdotno

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 11:02 AM

I had this same problem, my solution was to not have multiple springs, and just put in 1 really strong one, your problem probably is that the springs are not getting enough compression, so you should either get a more powerful spring to replace all 3, or loose 1, or cut down one of the springs.

Edited by Eightdotno, 23 June 2017 - 11:02 AM.

#5 Bubba Longshot

Bubba Longshot

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 05:08 PM

I have tried multiple spring combinations, but this is the only one that'll catch. The roughness at the end of the prime isn't that noticeable, so I don't really find it a problem anymore. I'm more worried if this will slowly damage the catch piece.
Thanks
Bubba
"The only thing that sucks about Nerf modification is the anxiety that something will break... That's why we reinforce a whole lot!" -Me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users