Photo

nerf club help

3 replies to this topic

#1 jaxonnerf5811

jaxonnerf5811

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:35 PM

not sure if this is were this goes but i was wondering how do you make your nerf club more successful and how do we get money ive put some money into it already but is their a way for me to get places like McDonald's to provide lemonade or even water or any bushiness to donate money for loaners and or darts any information helps thanks 

#2 Lasagna

Lasagna

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 08:57 AM

Firstly, if you want to collect some money charge a nominal fee, like $5 per war or maybe like $20 monthly membership. To get more people invite friends to join. Tell them to tell their friends to join too.

In a thread from last month, Shmmee commented about a Wyoming nerf group that registered as a non-profit.

You might see some unexpected doors opening if you register as a non-profit. If local businesses donate anything to your group they'll be able to write off the expenses on their tax forms. Theirs a wyoming nerf group that has really taken off recently and since they've registered as a non-profit they've had several buisnesses donating everything from gift cards to by ammo to NIB blasters. They've also seen tremendous support from their counties parks department in the form of free venues to nerf in. You'll also be able to get group insurance on the cheap.

You may wish to look into this.

#3 FFNerfmodding

FFNerfmodding

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 09:51 AM

Firstly, if you want to collect some money charge a nominal fee, like $5 per war or maybe like $20 monthly membership. To get more people invite friends to join. Tell them to tell their friends to join too.

In a thread from last month, Shmmee commented about a Wyoming nerf group that registered as a non-profit.

Just remember if you are under eighteen this is going to HAVE to have your parent's permission, as they will be liable for any debts you incur (Just don't get any loans in the  business, and you should be okay). Operating a registered organization is complicated, and a non-profit is among the most complex. I operate several for-profit venture and those are still a headache to get the logistics functioning. I recommend talking with someone who knows what they are doing before incorporating as any organization. Incorporating may be a huge plus, but just be sure you know the way things work.

#4 shmmee

shmmee

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:43 PM

My thoughts on charging your friends money... do that and you'll soon have fewer friends nerfing. However, if you present it as a "dart rental fee" and forking over a few small bills suddenly becomes more palatable - but not untill you have a dozen regulars and you start going through darts like mad. Don't do a "monthly fee". You'll be chasing your active and inactive players down for to pay their dues and that becomes tiresome on both sides. Having a basic dart rental fee will bring a little cash from those who are actively taxing your resources, and if they bring their own darts and blasters, they aren't taxing your resources (unless you had to pay for a venue). 

Once you establish your group, look into registering as a non profit or a not-for-profit. I'm not exactly sure what the difference is but registering as either of these two and suddenly any donations from local businesses become a tax write off for them. As Lasagna mentioned, the Wyoming group adjacent to me has absolutely exploded in membership after registering. You'll also see more support from your local parks department since non-profits can get cheap insurance, and the parks departments might not let you book a park for free unless you're insured. Being a non-profit legitimizes your group in a serious way. Granted, it will take a ton of time and energy to get the group going - and keep it going, but by the time your group starts getting big you'll know who your reliable regulars are and you can start sharing some of the duties with them.

As fun as NIC levels of blasters (like the crazy homemades found on our beloved nerfhaven) are, it's also limiting. You'll get more participation from the average nerfer if you have a more conservative range cap and ammo limitations (i.e. 120 fps & stock/ 3rd party full length darts only) so off the shelf and lightly modified blasters are more viable. Of course you can always have an "advanced war" with a higher cap when you want to break out the big guns and slugs.

Facebook is an incredible tool. It's free and every one uses it. Get yourself a group page, and then start getting your name out. Invite everyone. Ask everyone to invite everyone. Always schedule your wars several weeks in advance!!! If your community has any -con's (comic con, gaming con, kids con...) and you have a big enough armory (front loaders only - don't hand a mag fed blaster to an untrained noob. They'll only jam it up.) to arm everyone who might be playing, volunteer to run a free dart zone for the duration of the event (hang a banner with your groups fb page on it.) & get the -con group to pay for darts and safety glasses (go with cheap 3rd party darts and harbor freight glasses...) and have your next nerf war scheduled so you can invite the participants to your next event.

"and we should respect the people who make our blasters. Even if we do molest the hell out of them..."
~BritNerfMogul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users