Titan, Too Much Power?

Wow!

51 replies to this topic

#1 nerfspecialforces

nerfspecialforces

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 01:30 PM

Ok, I did a brass barrle replacement on my titan, 1" 17/32 with a 12" peice of removable 9/16 extention. I didn't open the gun up at all. I tested it but realized something. The quicker you pull the trigger, the farther it shoots.
Estimate testing(lost my tape mesauser*):
3 pumps- 90'
10pumps- 200'
20 pumps- fishtailed

*I do my range testing in the same place and I now how far 200' is.
QUOTE(Arcanis @ Apr 8 2005, 05:02 PM)
When I insert a dick, nothing happens.

Call me NSF
N erf
S pecial
F orces

#2 ShortShit

ShortShit

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 01:50 PM

I don't even use nerf guns anymore, I use my Uber Nerf Telekinesis Powers to launch my pink stefans 500ft! ^_^

~I dig the idea of trying an inch of 17/32 in a titan to see if it improves performance, but I will just wait till you find your 'tape measure' before I put any stock into your ranges.

*the quicker you pull the trigger the farther it shoots is true of most guns with such a large airtank, because if the valve isnt completely opened right away there is so much air that you will loose some pressure over it. Its also quite noticable when using the Lanard Blast Bazooka.

Edited by ShortShit, 20 August 2004 - 01:52 PM.

~SS

#3 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 02:20 PM

Short is right. I used 2 inches of 17/32 on mine so even if I pull the trigger slowly, it gives enough time for air to build up behind the dart. But 200'...? That's incredible. Although for some reason I only got like 150' with some outdoor testing, and I used 20 pumps... Either mine is defective, the wind was messed up, I just suck at modding, or someone is lying. I'm voting the I suck at modding and the wind was messing with me- which it was.

~ompa

#4 JSkater

JSkater

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 02:25 PM

I can see how it's capable of going 200'.. The airtank is bigger than an SM5Ks, right? And what was the farthest (documented) range with that? Wasn't it like 170' or something?
QUOTE(Arcanis)

Why dont you have anything to drink!?
Choose one, making you better feeling!

#5 Ironman

Ironman

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 02:35 PM

Shoutshit is right about the fast pulling part.
Die with honor...Fight with pride...
Aim toward your goals...Quicken your stride...
With great power comes great responsibility.

#6 LiKnSmAkScOmIn

LiKnSmAkScOmIn

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 02:39 PM

200'
^_^
If you are serious this will compel me to buy a Titan.
Morons With Guns own you.

#7 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 03:01 PM

Angled or Flat? If it's Angled, I definately believe it. Flat, a little less likely, but still plausible to me.

~ompa

#8 ShortShit

ShortShit

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 03:05 PM

makes me think I should put an inch or so of 17/32 in my blastbazooka barrel to see if I see a large improvement, Also if you do add 17/32 then the LONGER barrel is not needed because it acheives about the same thing as a long barrel with a big airchamber, just by delaying the dart longer so that the air packs more of a punch with the 17/32, apposed to just having a long drawn out flight using all of the air in straight long 9/16th barrel.

Edited by ShortShit, 20 August 2004 - 03:06 PM.

~SS

#9 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 03:07 PM

Yup. I achieve the same distance with my single barreled AT2k using only a 6inch 9/16 barrel and about 1.5 inches of 17/32 nested in it, opposed to the 9 inches I'd use otherwise.

Besides, it's nice having a shorter barrel, AND then you don't have the problem of the dart sliding out the front. God, that's annoying, especially with my AT3k.

~ompa

#10 nerfspecialforces

nerfspecialforces

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 03:21 PM

Well, I use stefans that are less than 1/2 the size of a regular stefan, which increases range and stebility and, at long ranges, accuracy, but still, It's not 50' of range difference compared to opma's. Mabey 20' and thats pushing it.

Call me NSF
N erf
S pecial
F orces

#11 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 03:37 PM

I swear... Eh, maybe it's wrong, but this is quoting Cx:

Basically, all darts come out of high power guns fishtailing at least a bit - the short darts take longer to straighten out. All that wobbling around increases aerodynamic resistance and hurts your range. At some point, this is countered by the fact that as the dart gets longer the center of gravity moves away from the tip and the dart gets heavier overall. In my brass 1500 with 3/0 weighted darts, I got roughly the same range with 2.5" and 3" darts, and the range dropped if I went below 2.5" or above 3". For comparison, my PC is happy with 1.5" darts and my LnL seems to like 2" darts. It's a function of the weight you're using, whether you drill the FBR, and the power and barrel length of the guns you typically use.

He uses 2.5" darts, and you voted in that poll for 2" darts. Does that mean you've switched to 1" darts now? I don't know, maybe for some reason yours is different, but longer darts seem to have more accuracy and range for me, especially in high-powered guns like the Titan. Or maybe I'm just an idiot. Whatever, I just want to get this clarified as I wouldn't mind having my Titan shoot that far. could you give me the specifications on your darts? And maybe a compressed mod...

~ompa

#12 ShortShit

ShortShit

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 03:43 PM

you mean you use like 1.5" stefans? Because I was doing tests with shorter stefans with my pink foam material and they were getting exactly the same distance as my longer ones, no differences or improvements at all. I guess I'll just have to get the titan and see for myself before i truly say anything bout false ranges, but you understand how its hard to just accept a nerfgun getting 200ft right?

*Also along these new lines of adding a bit of 17/32 to AIR nerf guns Im getting a GREAT idea about my barrel assembly. Normally my barrel is just 9/16th with a slightly bigger lip for the dart to rest in before being shot, but if I put an inch of 17/32 on inch IN from the back of the 9/16th barrel, the darts in the waiting sch80 barrel would go forward into the 9/16th and stop at the 17/32, and if I got more range or the same range and could just shorten my barrel this would ALSO completely prevent any dualshots from occuring, which is the only partial flaw that ever occurs with the system.

**Scampers off to make a prototype barrel to put on my assembly to see if my findings are true...**

FYI: Cwxq uses 2.25" darts ^_^

Edited by ShortShit, 20 August 2004 - 03:45 PM.

~SS

#13 Black Wrath

Black Wrath

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 06:27 PM

3 pumps- 90'
10pumps- 200'
20 pumps- fishtailed

The only things I'm calling bullshit on are the numebr of pumps. It's not possible to achieve 90' with 3 pumps... that's not even pressurized.
Xx_Black-Wrath_xX of The Canadian Foam Militia

Not in the game anymore, but it was great while it lasted. Thanks for the great years of fun, NH!
--
Resident "Spawn of Talio"

#14 LiKnSmAkScOmIn

LiKnSmAkScOmIn

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 06:48 PM

Black Wrath, thanks for pointing that out.It does seem fishy...
Morons With Guns own you.

#15 nerfspecialforces

nerfspecialforces

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 07:40 PM

Ompa, try 3 pump before you shoot, and see what ranges you get.
I use darts that are a little less than an inch.
Is there an air restrictory on the titan, or am I just to lazy to find it? Probably the lather.

Call me NSF
N erf
S pecial
F orces

#16 nerfspecialforces

nerfspecialforces

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 09:57 PM

The messured distance was on average 170'. Some flew farther than that, like the farthest shot was close to 180'.Putting a longer barrle will increase range, so think of the posibilaties...
It shoots way accurate at over a 100' And I plan to add a scope, yes, a scope, to make it dead accurate. It hurt to be shot with it at 5 pumps, so I imagine 20 pumps would feel like a p**ntball!

Call me NSF
N erf
S pecial
F orces

#17 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 10:01 PM

Alright, I finally got my ranges up, so I'm happy. After some testing, I DID get those ranges. Shots were 172, 174, and 195. All pretty much flat shots. Wind was a little factor, since there was little to no wind. Measured with one of those walking measurers that rolls along the ground. The only descrepency I have is that it took me 20-23 pumps. 3 just doesn't cut it.

~ompa

#18 ShortShit

ShortShit

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 10:30 PM

thats a little FUCKING INSANE AND AWSOME... thats just unheard of range... ompa you really didnt think it could've been that far upon first inspection? Just seems like a huge diff to me. Ultimate snipage for sure.

*ohh was it that diff because of the inch of 17/32 added? or did you allready have that?

Edited by ShortShit, 20 August 2004 - 10:30 PM.

~SS

#19 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 10:33 PM

I already had it. I had only done testing indoors pretty much previously. The reason why I didn't think those ranges were possible were pretty much, well, no gun really had ever shot that far before, unless it was a homemade gun. The range pretty much just took me by suprise. When I first shot it, if there hadn't been the neighbor's kids around, I would have been running around my court like a madman in happiness. The range suprised me, it surpassed that of my expanded airtank sm5k. The air release mechanism is much more reliable than that of my sm5k, which is probably the reason. The 17/32 just allows for a shorter barrel I believe, not any large increase in range; at least I don't think so.

I'm getting an average of 180' flat right now, on 23 pumps. However, I plan to test a longer barrel, and on lower pumps.

~ompa

Edited by ompa, 20 August 2004 - 10:34 PM.

#20 Airsoft999

Airsoft999

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 10:39 PM

NSF: You got those ranges without plugging the release valve right?

#21 ShortShit

ShortShit

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 10:51 PM

NSF: You got those ranges without plugging the release valve right?

or taking out the air restrictor so it seems?
~SS

#22 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 10:56 PM

Sorry, but if you didn't take out that huge thing semi-blocking the airway, I'm going to have to call bullshit. If you did, I got the same ranges, so yeah I'll believe it. As for the overpressure release valve, I suppose I can believe that you can achieve that distance without plugging it.

~ompa

#23 Airsoft999

Airsoft999

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 11:00 PM

'Cause if you are getting great ranges with 5 pumps or so, and Ompa's darts don't leave the barrel yet, I might not plug the overpressure valve... If the max distance if 10-15 feet less, I won't really care, because Sooting someone from 170 away is not likely even if the gun can shoot 180 feet... I'll probably pump it about 5-10 times and hope to get ranges similar to an sm5k... NSF, you better not be lying <_< . Looks like someone (Jlego?) got their wish granted. "If only the Titan could get about 100 feet with 3 pumps..."

#24 ShortShit

ShortShit

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 11:08 PM

Is there an air restrictory on the titan, or am I just to lazy to find it? Probably the lather.

fishy fishy fish?
~SS

#25 Airsoft999

Airsoft999

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 11:12 PM

fishy fishy fish?

Okay. Now I don't believe your results, NSF. I believe ompa's. However, when I decide whether or not to plug, I probably won't still.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users