Photo

Do You Have Any Rules For Area Of Effect Weapons?

(e.g. rules for simulating missiles)

7 replies to this topic

#1 Kolath

Kolath

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 10:46 AM

I did a search on this topic and didn't come up with anything, so here is my question. Does anyone have any suggestions for rules for simulating area of effect weapons in nerf wars? I play at college inside the academic buildings and our games often develop a lot of stand offs with teams holed up at either end of a hallway. I had the thought that if there were some rules for using the large missile-type nerf guns as missiles, it would prevent camping and make the games more dynamic?

My idea was to have the missile kill anyone within a full arms reach of where the missile hit a wall, person, floor, etc. Obviously this would rely on the honor system, but I think it could concievably work.

Has anyone else used similar rules or have any good ideas?

Edited by Kolath, 20 August 2004 - 10:47 AM.

#2 Mantis

Mantis

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 11:13 AM

If your group is more focused on having fun than they are on winning, the rule would definately work. But if they are a bunch of asshats who play just for the pretty homo-erotic glory of winning, it wouldnt work at all.
Personal LCM Summer Tune-Up Stats:
K:H=1.00
Shots Fired: 2.1 x 10^4
Fun had: 97%

#3 Black Wrath

Black Wrath

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 11:57 AM

I did a search on this topic and didn't come up with anything, so here is my question. Does anyone have any suggestions for rules for simulating area of effect weapons in nerf wars? I play at college inside the academic buildings and our games often develop a lot of stand offs with teams holed up at either end of a hallway. I had the thought that if there were some rules for using the large missile-type nerf guns as missiles, it would prevent camping and make the games more dynamic?

My idea was to have the missile kill anyone within a full arms reach of where the missile hit a wall, person, floor, etc. Obviously this would rely on the honor system, but I think it could concievably work.

Has anyone else used similar rules or have any good ideas?

Are you guys stock? If so, Maxshot ballastic missiles sounds perfect for the job. As Mantis said, if you guys want to have fun rather than win, it would work nicely. I say throw ballistic balls as hand grenades if you guys want another dynamic.

It's a good idea if you guys are all just in it for the experience, not the pride of sayign you shot a man with foam.
Xx_Black-Wrath_xX of The Canadian Foam Militia

Not in the game anymore, but it was great while it lasted. Thanks for the great years of fun, NH!
--
Resident "Spawn of Talio"

#4 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 12:31 PM

I'd say instead of using arm's length, try using a set distance, like 5 feet or something, corresponding with the ammo type. Maybe a regular arrow would kill whoever it hit and the person next to him or something, and a Maxshot missle like a 3ft kill radius, and something absolutely massive like the Titan missle or the Ultimator missles could be something like a 6ft kill radius.

504th post! Means I'm tied for 10th on the top posters, and that I have way too much time as I only joined early this year...

~ompa

Edited by ompa, 20 August 2004 - 12:32 PM.

#5 J cobbers

J cobbers

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 03:05 PM

Set radius that all "explosives " are leathal in. Basically figure out what distance you want to use as the kill zone and when you have an area effect weapon go off, take a quick time out with everyone frozen in place, measure (have a string or something cut to the approprate legth) the kill zone and if any one is inside it, they die, or take a hit, or whatever. Call time in and proceed. You may have to elect someone to be a ref for this sort of thing, and it may be too cluncky if you don't want to take constant time outs, it's just a thought.

Don't forget to eat your meat based vegetable substitute children.

#6 Black Wrath

Black Wrath

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 04:45 PM

Set radius that all "explosives " are leathal in. Basically figure out what distance you want to use as the kill zone and when you have an area effect weapon go off, take a quick time out with everyone frozen in place, measure (have a string or something cut to the approprate legth) the kill zone and if any one is inside it, they die, or take a hit, or whatever. Call time in and proceed. You may have to elect someone to be a ref for this sort of thing, and it may be too cluncky if you don't want to take constant time outs, it's just a thought.

I still say honour system. With the string, people will be more likely to "accidentally fall while frozen" and roll out of the blast radius. It's a good idea, but I think it's more like egging people on to cheat.

The honour system works, if you're man about it.
Xx_Black-Wrath_xX of The Canadian Foam Militia

Not in the game anymore, but it was great while it lasted. Thanks for the great years of fun, NH!
--
Resident "Spawn of Talio"

#7 Kolath

Kolath

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 05:22 PM

Yeah we mostly play for fun with a group of about 20-30 people. I think honor system would work pretty well, although a quick timeout might be good for determining casualties. We use a mix of stock and modded stuff. But we don't allow any mods that will really hurt if hit within 2 feet or less. Thanks for the suggestions!

Has anyone successfully used any rules like this in nerf wars?

#8 Airsoft999

Airsoft999

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 11:54 PM

we don't allow any mods that will really hurt if hit within 2 feet or less.

I take it you're ignoring the Titan mod pages?

Anyway, the honor system does work nicely.
I play for fun with my friends, and all (my) hell breaks loose when I'm having a war with the neighbors

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users