Photo

Nerf Retaliator Reinforcements.

6 replies to this topic

#1 hcat625

hcat625

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 06:00 PM

So I am thinking about buying an 8kg or 10kg nerf turf retaliator spring but it says that I might need reinforcements, what reinforcements would these be? I googled it but none of them came up with actually retaliator reinforcements to do when upgrade the spring.

Edited by hcat625, 02 June 2017 - 06:02 PM.

#2 Lasagna

Lasagna

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 10:21 PM

Do upgrade the catch spring, and maybe pad the plunger head with some foam or rubber. Haven't worked on springers much though.

#3 Bubba Longshot

Bubba Longshot

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 10:31 PM

You most certainly have to reinforce or buy a replacement boltsled. Try something similar to Tantum Bull's longshot sled reinforcements (wire), or oznerf's sheet aluminium method. I actually do not know 100% if this method will work on the retaliator (since the clearance between the Darttooth guide thingys and boltsled are very limited), but it's worth a try. If you choose the safer path, then an aftermarket sled is sold by orangemodworks in their retaliator stage 2 kit.
Other then the boltsled, you should reinforce the back spring rest area. This can be done with epoxy putty, or machining your own metal spring rest (like the OMW one). I'd use the epoxy putty since it's easier. You just apply it on the plastic that supports the spring. Otherwise, the force of a 8kg spring will crack that plastic.
For the plunger assembly, pad the plunger and reinforce the plunger rod. Reinforcing the plunger rod can
be done by taking some small gauge steel wire, and epoxying them in the grooves of the rod. Plunger padding should be a rubber washer, or foam rubber. Foam will be destroyed under the force of that heavy of a spring.

Happy modding. :)
Bubba

Edited by Bubba Longshot, 02 June 2017 - 10:35 PM.

"The only thing that sucks about Nerf modification is the anxiety that something will break... That's why we reinforce a whole lot!" -Me

#4 hcat625

hcat625

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:08 AM

You most certainly have to reinforce or buy a replacement boltsled. Try something similar to Tantum Bull's longshot sled reinforcements (wire), or oznerf's sheet aluminium method. I actually do not know 100% if this method will work on the retaliator (since the clearance between the Darttooth guide thingys and boltsled are very limited), but it's worth a try. If you choose the safer path, then an aftermarket sled is sold by orangemodworks in their retaliator stage 2 kit.
Other then the boltsled, you should reinforce the back spring rest area. This can be done with epoxy putty, or machining your own metal spring rest (like the OMW one). I'd use the epoxy putty since it's easier. You just apply it on the plastic that supports the spring. Otherwise, the force of a 8kg spring will crack that plastic.
For the plunger assembly, pad the plunger and reinforce the plunger rod. Reinforcing the plunger rod can
be done by taking some small gauge steel wire, and epoxying them in the grooves of the rod. Plunger padding should be a rubber washer, or foam rubber. Foam will be destroyed under the force of that heavy of a spring.

Happy modding. :)
Bubba

Which back spring rest area? Could you show me a picture?

#5 Bubba Longshot

Bubba Longshot

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 11:06 AM

image.jpg
The back part where the spring rests. Sorry if the picture is a little blurry...

Edited by Bubba Longshot, 04 June 2017 - 11:07 AM.

"The only thing that sucks about Nerf modification is the anxiety that something will break... That's why we reinforce a whole lot!" -Me

#6 scruffynerfherder

scruffynerfherder

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:32 PM

My retaliator should be getting Orange Mod Works stage 1 & 2 sometime in the near future. Probably more than is needed for a heavy spring, but everything orange mod that I've bought and used has been very good and I highly recomend them and their parts

#7 hcat625

hcat625

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:26 AM

attachicon.gifimage.jpg
The back part where the spring rests. Sorry if the picture is a little blurry...

The picture is fine, thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users