Photo

Stryfe motors for IMR's?

59 replies to this topic

#51 shandsgator8

shandsgator8

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 03:08 PM

So pretty much my only 2 options if wanting 8 eneloop aa nimh in a square 2x2x2 pack are buy a transmitter pack and desolder/resolder the wire/plug connector, or make it from scratch with loose aa eneloops?

Was really hoping to find a drop in 8 eneloop aa pack

As far as I know, yes, but I don' t exactly what's available on the market right now. You'll have to do some research, I guess.

#52 scruffynerfherder

scruffynerfherder

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 12:54 AM

Say I bought one of the eneloop square 2x2x2 tx packs (either with thin wiring/connector, or the cassete type 2x2x2 pack with no wiring/connector) from the hangtime website you linked and added 18awg silicone wire to match the wiring going into my stryfe, which connector would you suggest I use on the battery pack?

Which charger would you suggest for the 8 aa eneloop pack with _____ connector?

#53 shandsgator8

shandsgator8

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 05:39 AM

Say I bought one of the eneloop square 2x2x2 tx packs (either with thin wiring/connector, or the cassete type 2x2x2 pack with no wiring/connector) from the hangtime website you linked and added 18awg silicone wire to match the wiring going into my stryfe, which connector would you suggest I use on the battery pack?

Which charger would you suggest for the 8 aa eneloop pack with _____ connector?

I personally use the Micro Deans connector b/c of it's small size (and good enough performance), but a WS Deans 2 pin Ultra plug connector is what I'd recommend if you didn't use the Micro connector.

Edited by shandsgator8, 11 June 2017 - 05:41 AM.

#54 scruffynerfherder

scruffynerfherder

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 02:59 PM

Would 8 eneloop aa nimh batteries in that pack even have high enough of a discharge rate to power any motors besides the stock stryfe 130 motors?

All of this is still a bit over my head, and honestly quite discouraging...

Which makes me lean back towards imr...

Or just using a big 7.2volt 3000mah nimh rc car pack in a stock...

Which 130 motors would you suggest for a 6 c batttery 7.2v 3000mah nimh pack mostly used in rc cars?

#55 shandsgator8

shandsgator8

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 06:56 PM

Would 8 eneloop aa nimh batteries in that pack even have high enough of a discharge rate to power any motors besides the stock stryfe 130 motors?

All of this is still a bit over my head, and honestly quite discouraging...

Which makes me lean back towards imr...

Or just using a big 7.2volt 3000mah nimh rc car pack in a stock...

Which 130 motors would you suggest for a 6 c batttery 7.2v 3000mah nimh pack mostly used in rc cars?

The fact that you're comparing the discharge rate of Eneloop cells with IMRs is evidence of your lack of battery knowledge and understanding...but then again, that's why you're here. Eneloops can handle high amp draws from a MTB Rhino'd Stryfe no problem. In a 6 (remember, MTB Rhinos are designed to run off 8 cell NiMH or 3S voltages) cell AA Eneloop pack, I was getting 100 FPS+ muzzle velocity with Gen 3 Koosh darts in subzero temps (I chrono'd it while it was snowing). That being said, a 3000mah 7.2v R/C pack will probably handle higher currents better than the AA Eneloops.

I don't know as much about motor recommendations. I know my MTB Rhinos work well in my Stryfe with my Eneloop AAs. The reason you don't hear much about NiMH AAs is because you generally have to make your own packs and most people in the Nerf community know diddly squat about electrical theory and have zero soldering skills.

#56 FFNerfmodding

FFNerfmodding

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:02 PM

I personally use the Micro Deans connector b/c of it's small size (and good enough performance), but a WS Deans 2 pin Ultra plug connector is what I'd recommend if you didn't use the Micro connector.

I actually recommend XT60, but I think a micro deans should be okay if you are at 2s. 3s you would definitely want an XT60 on 16 AWG wire

#57 scruffynerfherder

scruffynerfherder

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:29 PM

I'm thinking now I'm just going to make a stock hold one of my many (6 c cell pack. Might be 6 sub-c cells not positive) 7.2 volt 3000mah nimh r/c car battery packs with its tamiya connector. I have multiple nimh packs and charger that use the tamiya connector so ill probably just use what I have since the Imr route and 8 aa route isn't looking too promising.

So, what would be the ideal 130 sized motors for a 7.2volt 3000mah nimh r/c battery pack? I will rewire the blaster using (most likely) 18awg multistrand silicone coated wiring and a better microswith (please suggest a quality switch) to go along with the 7.2v 3000mah nimh pack and whatever motors are best for that power supply

#58 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:06 AM

I'm thinking now I'm just going to make a stock hold one of my many (6 c cell pack. Might be 6 sub-c cells not positive) 7.2 volt 3000mah nimh r/c car battery packs with its tamiya connector. I have multiple nimh packs and charger that use the tamiya connector so ill probably just use what I have since the Imr route and 8 aa route isn't looking too promising.

So, what would be the ideal 130 sized motors for a 7.2volt 3000mah nimh r/c battery pack? I will rewire the blaster using (most likely) 18awg multistrand silicone coated wiring and a better microswith (please suggest a quality switch) to go along with the 7.2v 3000mah nimh pack and whatever motors are best for that power supply

Mishel 2.0 motors for a 2s system, which I believe yours falls under at 7.2. Someone else may correct me on that.

Out Of Darts' etsy shop is the only place I've seen genuine Omron switches (quality) available at a reasonable price. You could also try some generic off amazon or eBay and still come out ahead; my buddy and I picked up some random microswitches for like $1 each and haven't had trouble yet. Even if we do, we'd need to go through 5 before the cost started to break the other way.

If you're rewiring already, it shouldn't be too big a deal to buy some xt60 or deans pairs and wire them to all of your batteries/cars. The tamiya plugs are junk.

#59 scruffynerfherder

scruffynerfherder

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 03:09 PM

Meishel 2.0 over mtb honey badgers, falcons etc???

Would, say, 6 aa eneloop nimh 7.2volt pack be able to supply enough amperage for 2s meishel 2.0 or 2s mtb honey badgers?

I'm thinking I might need to use a 6 c or sub c cell 7.2 volt nimh rc car pack to succesfully power these, but honestly would like something smaller like 6 aa nimh pack or 8 aa nimh pack at largest, if even possible. Seems imr is out of the question for everything besides stock stryfe motors...

#60 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 03:49 PM

Meishel 2.0 over mtb honey badgers, falcons etc???

From what I've heard Honeybadgers aren't great flywheel motors. They work, but they were mainly to be used as pusher motors for Rapidstrikes and I think actually spin a bit too fast for flywheels at ~7volts. I hear great things about Meishel 2.0s though. Meanwhile Rhinos (which are the same as the older Falcon motors) are suggested to use 11 to 12 volts. So if you are using a better battery (one of your big C-cell packs), but limiting it to 7.2Volts, Meishel 2.0 is one of the best options currently on the market.

Falcons (sold as MTB Rhinos these days) suggest ~11volts but as shandsgator said you could "undervolt" them and they will still shoot nerf darts...they just won't fly as fast. However we know (again, as per shandsgator)  they will run on AA size eneloops if that's what you really want.

By the way, everyone looking at flywheel motors should know this link: https://docs.google....AwW7vg/htmlview

SSGT (I believe) compiles specs on lots of popular motors. The most important numbers for you are No Load Speed (in RPM) and the Stall Current (in Amps) as well as what voltage that is for (some motors have multiple voltage listings).

You really want that RPM to be at least 30,000. In order to try to use AA cells, you need the Stall Current as low as possible (remember you will be multiplying Amps by two because there are two motors). The motor with the lowest Stall current on that sheet (while also being "good" aka at least 30,000RPM) is the Rhino at 9.1A (at 12 Volts)

Honeybadgers will get ~40,000RPM at 7.2 volts, but one will require 13Amps. For comparison, a Rhino will get 21,600RPM and have a Stall Current of 5.46Amps at 7.2 Volts

More numbers for various numbers of eneloops on Rhinos and Honey Badgers. Keep in mind that the eneloop voltage may "sag" a bit and be a bit under 1.2 Volts each during use. So these numbers may be optimistic.

Note: For the "perfect" motor, assuming you can have any battery you want., you would pick a motor with around 30,000RPM and the the highest Stall Torque (in mN.m or gf.cm) possible. Then just make sure you get a battery that can handle the stall torque (multiplied by however many motors you have)

Note 2: There's a couple different "sizes" of motors, as seen in the leftmost column of SSGT's spreadsheet. 130 size motors will fit in stryfes, rapidstrikes, etc. 180 size and 1X0 size motors will only fit in those blasters if you cut a hole in their side. 360/380 motors are for Rival blasters or highly custom builds.

Edited by jwasko, 18 June 2017 - 04:05 PM.

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users