I hope this belongs in homemades

16 replies to this topic

#1 PissBacon

PissBacon

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 07:42 PM

Posted Image

For about 2 weeks I've been working on gutting an old squirt gun (Storm 2000) out, and over the course of the project, I kept changing the innards more and more. Now that it's complete, I'd consider the inside more than half homemade. It's got an 18 inch aluminum barrel with back loading breach-like design. The barrel sounds long, but the volume of the tank makes sense for it. It's also got a laser in place of where some stupid light used to be on the squirt gun. I used the same battery compartment and the same on/off switch build into the trigger mechanism for the laser, and it works pretty nicely. Originally the barrel was much simpler, and I just shoved darts down. Using that design I got 170 feet flat with only 3/5 of the tank's maximum power (before pressure release kicked in). I'm new, and I'm guessing this has been done countless times before, but I'll post it anyway.

Posted Image
Innards, and a TT for scale

Posted Image
A look down the back of the gun, in case you don't understand how the breach works exactly.

Posted Image
The end stopper I designed. It goes in the back of the loading area and is tightened to create a seal.

Posted Image
This is where the laser was put in (front of gun).

This was heavily influenced by the R.s.c.b. loading system. The gun is basically a homemade fit inside of a squirt gun case for looks (however I did use a lot of the valves and stuff from the squirt gun). As for ranges, I'm going to be gone for a few days, and the epoxy won't be dry before then. Hopefully by posting the ranges I won't just be bringing back a dead topic.

Posted Image
Pretty picture

P.S. Sorry about the typo in the topic name (I'm such an idiot).

Edited by PissBacon, 19 August 2004 - 07:44 PM.

#2 Ironman

Ironman

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 07:46 PM

It belongs here.

Edited by Ironman, 19 August 2004 - 08:06 PM.

Die with honor...Fight with pride...
Aim toward your goals...Quicken your stride...
With great power comes great responsibility.

#3 Ragornocks

Ragornocks

• Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 07:49 PM

Hey, that looks pretty good. Can you approximate the psi of the tank, and it's output? How many pumps does it take to (more or less) get it to a decent pressure? The pump looks kinda small, so that's why I am asking.

Very nice work, cosmetics look clean, and it seems to operate pretty well. Oh, the light is operated by a 'noid, like on the NF, right?
hug the fuck out of 'em, philippe!

#4 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 07:51 PM

I think it looks kick-ass. Nice paintjob, and the mod seems to be clean. Nicely done.

~ompa

#5 Ironman

Ironman

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 08:05 PM

I thought it was a little scuit gun you get in the dollor stores... nice job.
Die with honor...Fight with pride...
Aim toward your goals...Quicken your stride...
With great power comes great responsibility.

#6 Airsoft999

Airsoft999

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 08:09 PM

Yeah, I'm interested in how many pumps it takes to get a good pressure...
CPS 2500- 40 pumps= i forgot what Gaebo said... 250 feet?
MAX-D 6000- 10 pumps, 200 feet.
This... [begs for good results]- I gots one too. Maybe I'll mod mine.

#7 LiKnSmAkScOmIn

LiKnSmAkScOmIn

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 08:10 PM

Looks good, and hopefully it'll preform well.
Morons With Guns own you.

#8 Ragornocks

Ragornocks

• Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 08:11 PM

I'm more concerned with the psi. You never see it posted much, so I'm going to look into it whenever I mod an air blaster. I think I have an extra pressure gauge around here. Maybe when I pick the N-Strike up, I'll mount it on the Titan. Yummee, no need to drill and tap plastic!
hug the fuck out of 'em, philippe!

#9 PissBacon

PissBacon

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 08:51 PM

Oh, the light is operated by a 'noid, like on the NF, right?

I don't own a NF, and I'm not sure what a 'noid is. However, I can tell you where the switch is. If you look closely on the innards picture, you'll see where the trigger is connected to something with a bent metal rod. What it's connected to is the mechanism that opens the valve. On the very thing that presses on the valve pin is a rubber-covered switch which closes the circuit to the laser. It works quite well since the valve pin is held by a strong enough spring. So, to turn the laser on, pull the trigger a little, and then fire by pulling all the way.

#10 Airsoft999

Airsoft999

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 08:59 PM

PSI?

#11 PissBacon

PissBacon

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 09:57 PM

I don't know how to measure psi on this kind of thing. If anyone has advice for some mechanism let me know; until then I'll be thinking about it. Maybe i can use the cap from the 2nd tank I sawed off of the storm2000. hmm

#12 Vintage

Vintage

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 10:01 PM

Wow. I love how you routed the barrel out the rear of the gun. Kinda like 3dbbq's barrel loading system I bet. Anyway, it looks like a breeze to load and I think this qualifies as a mod. He didn't use a home-fabricated tank, pump, trigger, or valve. All he really did was route the new barrel in there and add a laser sight.

~Vintage
You can get much further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone
~Al Capone

#13 okto

okto

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 10:54 PM

the NF doesn't use a solenoid, it uses a (leaf) switch. i imagine this is the same deal.

#14 Doom

Doom

NH's Official In-House Physicist

• Administrators
  • 559 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 08:56 AM

I don't know how to measure psi on this kind of thing.  If anyone has advice for some mechanism let me know; until then I'll be thinking about it.  Maybe i can use the cap from the 2nd tank I sawed off of the storm2000.  hmm

You could with some math, it would be complicated though. Another idea is to add a pressure gauge, but this still is good to know.

First, you have to know that atmospheric pressure is 14.7 psi. That means that 1 atm = 14.7 psi. If there is twice as much air in the same sized chamber, then it's 2 atm or 29.4 psi. Get it?

You'll need to calculate how large the pressure chamber and pump are and then use that to figure out how many pumps it takes to fill up the chamber once (adding 1 atm). From there you could take the number of pumps you do normally and find out how many atmospheres that is. Multiply it by 14.7 and you get PSI. Simple when you understand the concept.

I believe the best way to find out how much the chamber and pump hold is to use water to do it. Pump it up fully, counting the number of pumps. Then shoot the water out into a measuring cup. Divide that by how many pumps it took the find out the pump capacity. I'm not sure how you would find the capacity of the pressure chamber, maybe you could open the trigger up, pour water down it (filling the chamber) and then dump it into a measuring cup?

I have used this concept before the calculate the pressure in a homemade water gun of mine, it was fairly low pressure (for a homemade water gun), about 72 psi. It's fairly accurate.

#15 PissBacon

PissBacon

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 10:13 PM

Sorry for giving this topic a bump, but I thought it's worthwile to say I tested some ranges recently. Since I'm restricted to only so much yard space I could not measure too well, but here are some results (these shots are fired level from about 5 feet off the ground). I pumped the gun 20 times and fired; the dart went well beyond a fence of blackberry bushes 200 feet away from me (and I never found the dart). Then I backed up about 70 feet and the other dart I had with me was also lost beyond the blackberries. This gun's range easily beats the rest of my arsenal. Now for improving rate of fire hmm...

#16 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 10:19 PM

Is that distance flat or angled? Just wondering.

~ompa

#17 PissBacon

PissBacon

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 10:57 PM

(these shots are fired level from about 5 feet off the ground)

Sorry that information was sort of hidden ompa, but yes it was flat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users