Photo

Weird ammo I need to launch.

12 replies to this topic

#1 Eightdotno

Eightdotno

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:17 AM

I need a paper airplane barrel for my drain blaster, any ideas on how to build one?

And this is technically not off topic since paper airplanes are a dart, and I need a barrel to launch them.

Edited by Ice Nine, 15 May 2017 - 12:09 PM.

#2 AtraUnam

AtraUnam

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 12:20 PM

Could probably build one out of plywood (or 3d print it) and then find some way to mate it to a regular nerf barrel.

#3 Silly

Silly

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 12:31 PM

1: why

2: you could make a floating piston inside a piece of pipe with 2 or 3 slots cut in the end for the planes wings to poke through, then the piston pushes the plane when filled with air from firing.

Co-Owner of the History of Nerf Modding research project, moderator of r/Nerf, owner of BlasterWiki, maker of 3d printed blasters (GitHub/Thingi) and Nerfy art.

#4 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:31 PM

Paper airplanes fly great off rubber bands. If you're really insistant on going the insanely complex route, basically you'd want to build something like a steam catapult on an aircraft carrier.

#5 Bubba Longshot

Bubba Longshot

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:41 PM

For a Drain Blaster, maybe you can find a small straw that could be inserted in the back of the plane. That way, the airflow is directly to the rear of the plane. But, a drain blaster exerts so much air that the paper would rip, or the plane would go flying like crazy.

Or, you could like flatten a piece of pvc and shove the plane into it?

Edited by Bubba Longshot, 15 May 2017 - 09:42 PM.

"The only thing that sucks about Nerf modification is the anxiety that something will break... That's why we reinforce a whole lot!" -Me

#6 Eightdotno

Eightdotno

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:29 AM

For a Drain Blaster, maybe you can find a small straw that could be inserted in the back of the plane. That way, the airflow is directly to the rear of the plane. But, a drain blaster exerts so much air that the paper would rip, or the plane would go flying like crazy.
Or, you could like flatten a piece of pvc and shove the plane into it?

I like the idea of using straws, but how would I attach them to the plane without adding to much weight?
And also silly, I need this for a paper based ammo war im going to in a few weeks.

#7 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:00 PM

I like the idea of using straws, but how would I attach them to the plane without adding to much weight?
And also silly, I need this for a paper based ammo war im going to in a few weeks.

Shoot, an airgun will probably shoot spitballs further than it'd throw a plane. Why not do that?

#8 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:58 PM

You need a long, low pressure acceleration, or you'll just destroy the paper.

Also, this exists: 

[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#9 Lasagna

Lasagna

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:12 PM

Use a straw attached to the barrel, and loosely wrap a paper tube around it and tape it closed. Glue that on top of something and you can slide the tube over the straw, pump up and shoot. You would need less pumps than usual due to the airplane probably being able to glide fairly well with a little thrust.

Edited by Lasagna, 17 May 2017 - 07:13 PM.

#10 Eightdotno

Eightdotno

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:42 PM

You need a long, low pressure acceleration, or you'll just destroy the paper.

Also, this exists: https://www.youtube....h?v=J7K91g8yG_w

Where can I get this monstrosity?

#11 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:56 PM

Where can I get this monstrosity?

*shrug*  I've no idea, sorry.

[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#12 Bubba Longshot

Bubba Longshot

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:56 PM

Honestly, making an attachment to a drain blaster will be somewhat hard. For what I suggested above, the straw would be on the blaster itself, and you slip the plane over it. The air travels up the straw, and fires the plane. If you do decide to do this, the amount of air put behind the dart must be controlled. Otherwise the plane would spiral like crazy, or rip.
If you have more money, then buying a dedicated plane shooter could work. They are flywheel powered and can be bought online, or through a toy store.

Edited by Bubba Longshot, 19 May 2017 - 07:56 PM.

"The only thing that sucks about Nerf modification is the anxiety that something will break... That's why we reinforce a whole lot!" -Me

#13 Eightdotno

Eightdotno

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 05:14 PM

Also the paper based war has been canceled, due to someone setting a tree on fire at the park where it was being hosted.

Edited by Eightdotno, 21 May 2017 - 05:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users