Nerf Longshot Reinforcement Question

Longshot Reinforcements

18 replies to this topic

#1 Bubba Longshot

Bubba Longshot

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 06:01 PM

Hello, I will be upgrading my longshot to a 6kg spring load soon, and I'm wondering about reinforcing the internals.
The boltsled has already been reinforced with epoxy and 0.88 mm wire. However, do I need to reinforce anything else? I'm particularly wondering about the "mickey mouse" plate, and the catch. Would using a 6kg Spring eventually break the plastic? If so, how should I reinforce it?
Photo credits: http://oznerf.forumo...gshot-internals
image.png
image.png
Would the front part of the plunger tube be under stress to? Or does padding the plunger address that issue?
I know that this may be dumb, but I just don't want my longshot to break.
Also, is hot gluing the plunger padding better or super gluing it.

Thanks
Bubba

Edited by Bubba Longshot, 16 May 2017 - 05:59 PM.

"The only thing that sucks about Nerf modification is the anxiety that something will break... That's why we reinforce a whole lot!" -Me

#2 Lasagna

Lasagna

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:20 PM

The actual catch should be fine, unless you decide to put some rediculous spring in it, but if any problems arise they would most likely be with the catch spring being too weak. This will probably not be a problem (no idea as I am only a flywheeler as of now) with that spring load, but If you decide to put something stronger, do consider upgrading the catch spring.

#3 Bubba Longshot

Bubba Longshot

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:50 PM

The actual catch should be fine, unless you decide to put some rediculous spring in it, but if any problems arise they would most likely be with the catch spring being too weak. This will probably not be a problem (no idea as I am only a flywheeler as of now) with that spring load, but If you decide to put something stronger, do consider upgrading the catch spring.

Yes, I will be adding another catch spring to the stock one. Upon doing more research, I figured out that the spring retainer should not be under too much stress. It would be the actual shell. Is that correct? In that case, why do people sell metal spring retainers and stuff?
Basically, what do I need to reinforce.
"The only thing that sucks about Nerf modification is the anxiety that something will break... That's why we reinforce a whole lot!" -Me

#4 hcat625

hcat625

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:54 PM

The plunger tube should be fine although you always should pad it. I did 2 felt lairs and one furniture foot non-scrape floor thing and my bolt sled still broke first. When putting the mickey mouse plate back on you might cross thread something so I am going to buy the metal one from artifact off monkee mods so it won't break when threading on and off.

Edited by hcat625, 12 May 2017 - 08:52 AM.

#5 Speedr117

Speedr117

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 02:56 AM

Can I buy that bolt sled from you bro? Mine broke and I want to buy a bolt sled so I can ressurect it.

If it broke once it's probably gonna break again in the future. Buy an upgraded metal boltsled.

#6 hcat625

hcat625

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 08:30 AM

If it broke once it's probably gonna break again in the future. Buy an upgraded metal boltsled.

Not necessarily if I can reinforce it with steel then it probably won't break.

Yes, I will be adding another catch spring to the stock one. Upon doing more research, I figured out that the spring retainer should not be under too much stress. It would be the actual shell. Is that correct? In that case, why do people sell metal spring retainers and stuff?
Basically, what do I need to reinforce.

Can I buy your old bolt sled, mine broke and I need another.

#7 Bubba Longshot

Bubba Longshot

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:50 PM

Not necessarily if I can reinforce it with steel then it probably won't break. 

Can I buy your old bolt sled, mine broke and I need another.

No you cannot, just buy an aftermarket one. Anyways, I don't think you want a boltsled that can't handle anything over 3kg... Also, why didn't you just reinforce your original copy? Buying an aftermarket one is the best option.

Can we please get this topic back on track?

Edited by Bubba Longshot, 12 May 2017 - 01:52 PM.

#8 hcat625

hcat625

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 04:53 PM

No you cannot, just buy an aftermarket one. Anyways, I don't think you want a boltsled that can't handle anything over 3kg... Also, why didn't you just reinforce your original copy? Buying an aftermarket one is the best option.

Can we please get this topic back on track?

I didn't reinforce it because I didn't know that my original one would break. Also ok I'll just find another bolt sled seller.

Edited by hcat625, 12 May 2017 - 04:54 PM.

#9 Bubba Longshot

Bubba Longshot

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 05:50 PM

Please get this topic back on track... I need my answers!

#10 thedom21

thedom21

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:55 AM

If you are worried about it breaking I would just go ahead a reinforce it. I generally like to take the overkill approach though since I would rather have some piece of mind knowing it's not going to break rather than worrying about something shattering every time you prime or fire the thing.

Edited by thedom21, 15 May 2017 - 10:55 AM.

Funny Irc moments

22:32 hookerninja I would just switch to 2 full 69's
22:32 hookerninja that would diddle shit

11:44 Zorn Her butt is too tiny even for limp 6th grade penis?
11:44 Zorn ergo the dildo

#11 AtraUnam

AtraUnam

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 12:28 PM

As someone who is building a ridiculous longshot (artifact hunter + bolt sled, 16kg spring) this thread interests me greatly. At some point I intend to grab an OMW stage 2 kit for the polycarbonate plunger rod, the grease and the trigger assembly. Anyways here's my question. 

Would a 3D printed 100% infill ABS catch, one thats at maximum thickness all the way through (stock ones are thicker at the edges than the middle) be stronger than the stock one and generally worth using?

#12 Bubba Longshot

Bubba Longshot

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:30 PM

Ok, instead of buying a polycarbonate replacement boltsled, I decided to use Tantum Bull's reinforcement method. However, I'm wondering how long this will last. Originally the boltsled has a minor crack, but I epoxied it shut. Then I epoxied some 0.88mm gauge wire on both sides (interior side, and exterior). I know that 0.88mm wire is fairy thin, so I put 4 separate pieces on the inside of the sled. I'm basically wondering how long the boltsled would last if I fire on average 50 darts per week.

Thanks

Bubba

Edited by Bubba Longshot, 15 May 2017 - 09:30 PM.

#13 hcat625

hcat625

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:26 AM

If your bolt sled is just or the same as stock or stronger than stock it should be good for around 35-50 shots. Mine lasted a while before it broke but Idk actually how many shots it fired though.

#14 Bubba Longshot

Bubba Longshot

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 05:58 PM

If your bolt sled is just or the same as stock or stronger than stock it should be good for around 35-50 shots. Mine lasted a while before it broke but Idk actually how many shots it fired though.

The sled is reinforced with 0.88. mm wire. One piece on the exterior side, and four on the interior side. I'm running a 5kg Spring load. How long would my blaster last if I fired 50 darts a week?

Edited by Bubba Longshot, 16 May 2017 - 05:58 PM.

#15 hcat625

hcat625

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:23 PM

That would last a long time, especially with that low spring load. Mine was 16kg. Don't quote me on that.

Edited by hcat625, 16 May 2017 - 08:24 PM.

#16 Bubba Longshot

Bubba Longshot

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:36 PM

Ok, so I have found some wire clothes hangers in my parents room, and they allowed my to use it.
Now, the reinforcements are as followed:
- 4 pieces of 0.88mm gauge wire with 2 small pieces of the clothes hanger wire (1.5mm gauge) on the inside part of the boltsled
- the outside portion is reinforced with 1 piece of 0.88 mm wire

Would this boltsled last through 2000 shots under a 5kg Spring load?

Edited by Bubba Longshot, 17 May 2017 - 05:37 PM.

#17 thedom21

thedom21

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:49 PM

Ok, so I have found some wire clothes hangers in my parents room, and they allowed my to use it.
Now, the reinforcements are as followed:
- 4 pieces of 0.88mm gauge wire with 2 small pieces of the clothes hanger wire (1.5mm gauge) on the inside part of the boltsled
- the outside portion is reinforced with 1 piece of 0.88 mm wire

Would this boltsled last through 2000 shots under a 5kg Spring load?

At this point I think you have done some solid reinforcements, I would suggest running 10-25 shots through it and then disassemble and check for any problem areas. If all appears to be holding up run another 50 through the blaster and inspect again. If you are super worried about it exploding even after you have reinforced the boltsled I would be sure you regularly check for any problem areas or stress marks.

I think you should be fine with the reinforcement at that spring load. If it does explode at some point down the road you can just order a polycarbonate or aluminum replacement sled. As I mentioned I always go overkill in durability as I prefer to just not worry about it, which is why all of my longshots have aluminum boltselds in them whether its a 5kg spring or a 15kg spring.

Funny Irc moments

22:32 hookerninja I would just switch to 2 full 69's
22:32 hookerninja that would diddle shit

11:44 Zorn Her butt is too tiny even for limp 6th grade penis?
11:44 Zorn ergo the dildo

#18 The2ndBluesBro

The2ndBluesBro

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:31 PM

If you want some better reinforcements than wire I would suggest buying either 1/16" (approx) aluminum sheet or one of those small metal signs (like the type that say "Post no bills" or "employees only", you can get them at Canadian Tire) that are made of the same material and cutting the reinforcement out of that. With a 5kg spring load you will have no problems with that although you probably won't with your current setup either. You can use epoxy putty to fill in the gaps in the shell near the catch and at the front near the plunger tube (look at the reinforcements sold by Zaurko nerf mods on facebook if you want an exact picture of what they should look like, he makes 3d printed ones but e-putty works too). If you decide to order more parts eventually just go all the way and get an artifact hunter kit and sled and a f10555 pump grip. Don't worry about parts breaking with a 6kg spring load. All of these more extreme failures are happening at 18kg+. If you want a nice catch spring upgrade remove one of the retention plates in the stock used to hold the extra clip in and there will be a strong spring under it that sleeves over the original catch spring perfectly. I've never had a failure using that combo, and the clip still holds fine with one spring rather than two.  

Edited by The2ndBluesBro, 20 May 2017 - 06:54 PM.

Nerf, Gaming, knives: https://www.youtube....FjcObRZTl2KReDQ

#19 Bubba Longshot

Bubba Longshot

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:33 PM

Thanks for all of the information everyone. I'm feeling confident in my boltsled now.
The interior is reinforced with multiple pieces of 20gauge wire, and the top 90 degree part is reinforced with coat hanger wire. I tried to mimic an aftermarket sled that I saw online with the coat hanger wire. Hopefully this lasts at least two years...
Here are some pictures:image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
It works!

Edited by Bubba Longshot, 19 May 2017 - 03:26 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Longshot, Reinforcements

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users