Rocket Racoon's blasters in vol. 2

Guardians of the Galaxy

9 replies to this topic

#1 SkullBunny

SkullBunny

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 08:16 PM

So we all know about the new Rocket blaster from our hasbro overlords, but they never told us that some other blasters would appear on the silver screen. So yesterday while watching the new guardians move, I noticed that the guns that he acquires during the movie looked rather familiar. I thought they were a nite finder and a vintage Zerg blaster so I got to digging. Eventually I found the new hot toys figure for Rocket and got a good look at his fancy pistols. I was correct on the nite finder but the other one is a modified retaliator with 3 barrels. Just thought this was kinda funny.IMG_0288.PNG IMG_0287.PNG
(✿◕‿◕)

#2 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 09:04 AM

I can understand this being done with props for a live action actor, but it baffles me as to why this would be done for a CG actor. Maybe the props department in charge of coming up with the weapons is just traditional and only does physical work. Or the CG character also is made practically through sculpt then just digitized (along with the scale props).
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#3 SkullBunny

SkullBunny

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 12:30 PM

I'm guessing it was done like this because they were being held by two real actors and the props dept got a little lazy.
(✿◕‿◕)

#4 ravetrooper

ravetrooper

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 03:20 AM

I am so glad I wasn't the only one who noticed this XD

Gut the electronics, drill a hole in the shell, and attach a crank to the gear. Bam, crank-action stampede that doesn't require batteries, or even a trigger.

...(also judging by your past posts, I would consider you pretty dang wise elder like in the modding community :lol: )

#5 Vim Fuego

Vim Fuego

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 08:30 PM

I reckon they did it to give the CG character more of a real-world presence. It makes Rocket feel a little more real when he's holding a prop that you yourself could actually hold in the real world, if you were so motivated.

#6 Eightdotno

Eightdotno

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 11:30 AM

Neither of those blasters have triggers, but rocket holds them like they do have triggers.

#7 jaxmeh

jaxmeh

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 02:03 AM

Those look like Maverick plunger tubes on the front of that Nitefinder, too. Odd that they should use such a distinctively shaped Nerf blaster for this prop. Seems too obvious, I'd expect to see that level of work on someone's "steampunk" Etsy shop, not a big budget superhero film.

#8 TheNerfZilla

TheNerfZilla

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:40 AM

Those almost certainly aren't maverick plungers.
I have a blog now!
How to Get Started Nerfing Pt. 1
Eat spaghetti to forgetti your regretti 

#9 Eightdotno

Eightdotno

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:36 AM

I actually asked someone in my town who makes props for indie films on what he rekons they used,he said and I quote " it appears they went down to their local goodwill and just picked up a bunch of random blasters to cobble together."
He also said that the first pistol is just a heavily painted nitefinder with 2 maverick pluger tunes on the front of it,
And the 2nd picture is either a retaliator or a recon with the magazine part of it sawed off and some pvc pipe put in its place.

Edited by Eightdotno, 10 May 2017 - 11:38 AM.

#10 TheNerfZilla

TheNerfZilla

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 02:48 PM

My bad, the nitefinder clearly has maverick plungers on it. I had thought he meant the retaliator. Oops
I have a blog now!
How to Get Started Nerfing Pt. 1
Eat spaghetti to forgetti your regretti 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users