A hardly ideal Afterburner extension

afterburner

2 replies to this topic

#1 Hardly Ideal

Hardly Ideal

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 06:44 PM

I love my Rayven. It's a bullpup and it loads from a clip and it looks like something from Ghost in the Shell and it goes PYEW PYEW PYEW! Okay, that's me making those sounds, ya got me there.

But truth be told, its range and speed are kind of anemic without some serious mods. I don't want to potentially ruin it since they seem to have dropped out of production, so the next best thing would be an Afterburner system of some kind.

Naturally, it's easy to get carried away on the computer:

LsNGBgZ.gif

Before I go and drop money on printed plastic and motors, I better have a good plan first:

-I probably should've asked before modelling, but has anyone already made an Afterburner extension? Knowing my track record, someone else has probably made something even better. I saw roboman was working on one in the Homemades thread, but I didn't see a finished product or download link.

-I'd prefer to make an extension instead of integrating it into one blaster. If I ever get a better flywheel blaster, then I'd be able to switch over.

-I'm thinking of tilting the motors to induce a spin in the dart for accuracy. I'm pretty sure they do something like that on punting machines. They're both angled 5 degrees off perpendicular, but that's just a guess at where they should go.

-I still need to figure out a switch. A toggle would probably be easiest, but I thought about using a lever attached to a plate that would turn it on just by gripping it. I haven't even begun to engineer that.

-I still need to figure out a battery solution. Four AAs should do with the motors I plan on using, but how to cover them up is another story. A sliding cover would probably work just fine, but I should probably use this as an opportunity to practice with live hinges.

So, nothing really substantive to report for now, I suppose. Just daydreaming in public.

...are you sure this thing is on?

#2 Maniacal Coyote

Maniacal Coyote

On Increasingly Thin Ice

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 07:54 PM

Regarding the originality, I think Roboman was working on one that mounted onto 1/2" PVC, not the Nerf Barrel Mounting Muzzle.

Regarding the canting, as somebody has said many times, "Spin = cock". 

Regarding the battery problem, I'd suggest having a separate piece that is screwed on with 4 small screws, or 1-2 screw(s) with a tab, like Hascorp's smaller flywheelers.

Regarding the switch, I'd recommend a rocker switch.

It's a good idea, man.

I know how to help you because I have broken every rule in the book.

#3 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 10:40 PM

-I probably should've asked before modelling, but has anyone already made an Afterburner extension? Knowing my track record, someone else has probably made something even better. I saw roboman was working on one in the Homemades thread, but I didn't see a finished product or download link.

I'm sure they have; but I don't know if it's as fully self-contained as this or publicly available. Open Flywheel Project makes cages that are publicly available and work with modern-standard aftermarket motors & wheels; use the Stryfe regular/low crush ones.

FYI: Good rewire guide here, buy motors here(for USA).

-I'm thinking of tilting the motors to induce a spin in the dart for accuracy. I'm pretty sure they do something like that on punting machines. They're both angled 5 degrees off perpendicular, but that's just a guess at where they should go.

No, don't do that. The leading flywheel experts (Torukmakato4, FoamDataServices, probably MTB though I'm not positive) largely agree it doesn't definitively help, and it may hurt. Straight cages are fine for now; if you make your thing an attachment compatible with OFP's cage geometries than in the future people may swap out the cage while keeping the afterburner.

-I still need to figure out a switch. A toggle would probably be easiest, but I thought about using a lever attached to a plate that would turn it on just by gripping it. I haven't even begun to engineer that.

Use the regular momentary switch. Also, wire. Thinking on it, building this as a foregrip with flywheel rev button on it would probably be the best setup, since it'd be entirely self-contained and require no modification to the host blaster.

-I still need to figure out a battery solution. Four AAs should do with the motors I plan on using, but how to cover them up is another story. A sliding cover would probably work just fine, but I should probably use this as an opportunity to practice with live hinges.

Lipo; I don't have a link for you but 3s 1000mah zippy compacts usually almost fit in the stock stryfe battery compartment. You don't need anything fancy here; a solution just like stock is fine (plate that hooks onto one edge of the compartment and screws down on the other).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: afterburner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users