How to clean up shell cutting?

pls Pls Help Shell Cutting techniques hi

13 replies to this topic

#1 Penna

Penna

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 08:35 PM

I am considering a stampede minimization but most of my shell cuts turn out really rough. I was wondering if there was any techniques or other tools I didn't know about to make shell cuts turn out nice and clean. Thanks in advance.

Wye not?- Astech

Watch this It isn't a rick roll

#2 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 08:57 PM

Use a better cutting tool. A Band Saw being the ideal, a Jig Saw being somewhere in the middle, and a fine-tooth carpenter's hand saw (one that cuts on the PULL stroke) or box mitre saw being the minimum. Rotary tools are not good when you need to make long straight cuts.

If you know your cuts suck, cut wide of your mark then file them to where you need them to be using a rasp and then a file. Plastic is very easy to hand work so long as you keep brushing all the crap off of your file as you go. Touch up the edges as needed with 300 grit sandpaper.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#3 Silly

Silly

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:37 AM

Is a rotary sander bit on your dremel an acceptable alternative to a file, if you use sand paper after?

Co-Owner of the History of Nerf Modding research project, moderator of r/Nerf, owner of BlasterWiki, maker of 3d printed blasters (GitHub/Thingi) and Nerfy art.

#4 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 01:27 PM

No. Buy a rasp and a file. They'll last forever, unlike a sanding bit.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#5 The2ndBluesBro

The2ndBluesBro

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 05:13 PM

Also, remember to buy a wire brush as well to clean the file effectively. A proper file card/file cleaner is better but a wire brush is cheaper and will get the job done. 

Nerf, Gaming, knives: https://www.youtube....FjcObRZTl2KReDQ

#6 Bubba Longshot

Bubba Longshot

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 05:26 PM

I just use a small hacksaw, 180 grit sandpaper, and a small file/ 300 grit sandpaper. These are realatively cheap, and easy to use with some practice. The ultimate cutting tool is a band-saw, so use it if you have access. I'm not sure if this would work, but maybe a scroll-saw? They can cut polycarbonate sheets so possibly plastic? What ever you use to cut though, make sure that you sand the plastic down to give it a good finish. For integrations, use epoxy putty to cover up your cuts if they are really bad... Since you are doing a minimization, however, this isn't really applicable.
Happy modding
Bubba
"The only thing that sucks about Nerf modification is the anxiety that something will break... That's why we reinforce a whole lot!" -Me

#7 Speedr117

Speedr117

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:22 PM

From what I know from other hobbys is that a scrollsaw is just a bandsaw that can do internal cuts. No hands on experience though.
(Sad at thought of heavy nerf equipment and a huge workshop)

#8 CaliforniaPants

CaliforniaPants

Futtbrustrated

• Moderators
  • 459 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:26 PM

if you're trying to even out two edges try a technique called "draw filing", where you lay the file across the surface and "draw" it toward you. this gif that I definitely didnt laugh at for five minutes shows doing it in both directions, but I usually just do one to have more fine control over it. files are great and you'll never want to be without them again.

Attached Thumbnails

• hfile3.gif

trans as shit because fuck you

#9 Eightdotno

Eightdotno

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 11:44 AM

My cutting always turns out rough also, but I always just clean it up by using a BBQ lighter to melt the uneven space that I cut and then I press the edges on to a flat, cold surface, or on to patty paper, then I wait for it to cool down and then I just use a file and sand paper to clean up what's left.

#10 Silly

Silly

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:29 PM

If its really rough, can you use acetone to smooth it like in 3d printing?

Co-Owner of the History of Nerf Modding research project, moderator of r/Nerf, owner of BlasterWiki, maker of 3d printed blasters (GitHub/Thingi) and Nerfy art.

#11 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:53 PM

Acetone vapor polishing is for turning a rough surface into a glossier smoother finish. You won't be able to apply that technique selectively so it would smooth out your entire blaster.

#12 Silly

Silly

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:56 PM

Acetone vapor polishing is for turning a rough surface into a glossier smoother finish. You won't be able to apply that technique selectively so it would smooth out your entire blaster.

Sorry, i just meant the rough edge of the cut, like if your doing, say, a guru, and you want to clean up the crossbow cut you had to do.

#13 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:29 PM

I wouldn't want to put acetone, MEK, naptha, or any other solvents anywhere near a rare blaster shell. Use a file, not a solvent. You're over-thinking something that's really simple to accomplish.

#14 Vim Fuego

Vim Fuego

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:41 PM

Good, clean finishes require patience and hard work. There are no shortcuts - unless you can afford a bandsaw, and even then the cut will still need to be filed and sanded smooth... You should never, ever cut right up to your line anyway - remember, you can cut material away easily, it's much harder to add it back on...

But above all else; patience.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pls, Pls, Help, Shell Cutting, techniques, hi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users