Photo

What barrel to use?

TTG Tech Target Gun Barrel pls Does anyone even read these?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Penna

Penna

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:02 PM

I am considering barrel materials for a Tech Target Gun and I am a little confused. I have heard that brass won't work unless it is telescoped and that PETG is only for air guns but I have also heard that CPVC would work and that PETG is great for springers so could someone enlighten me?

Edited by Penna, 19 April 2017 - 10:03 PM.

Wye not?- Astech

Watch this It isn't a rick roll

#2 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:12 PM

Here's a list.

The trick is that you need to try to find what works for you - I've had good luck with CPVC around me as a very inexpensive barrel material, but I hear reports (from Captain Slug, among others) that they can't find any that is worthwhile. Brass sounds nice, but is expensive. PETG only works if you get the right PETG. I find it's best to either get materials you can lay your hands on and test your darts in, or get materials specifically indicated by very reputable people.

Brass may need to be nested (i.e.: sheathed into something else to increase the outer diameter of the material) into something else to get it to fit in the stock grey old-mega TTG barrel. If you modify the shell to take it it'll work just fine, but you're on your own for fitting then.

IIRC Thick-wall PETG is better for springers than other types of PETG.

Your confusion about barrel fit is due to a looser fit being traditionally prefered for pneumatics. They used to be more high-volume low-pressure deals, and worked well with longer looser barrels (Like a HAMP). Springers, on the other hand, need a tight fit to keep pressure building behind the dart so they can generate maximum power - they don't have nearly the volume most pneumatics do and a loose barrel would just rob power. More modern research suggests that tighter barrels on more controlled pneumatics are also desirable, so the loose fit of old may just go away except for HAMPs and blowguns. Anyway, your ideal barrel fit for the TTG should probably be an extremely tight ring somewhere in the back 3rd of the dart, a moderately tight fit along the rest of the dart, and an even fit at the front. Failing that, I find CPVC that is difficult to put a dart into but not so difficult that it bends when inserted works great - I can hit 100+' (likely angled) with these things so I'm not miffed about finding the perfect fit.

#3 Eightdotno

Eightdotno

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:30 AM

1/2 in pvc may work, I would recommend schedule 80 for its nice fit around the dart although schedule 80 is hard to come by unless you got to a special plumbing store. Pex pipe can also get a nice dart seal, but pex pipe is only good for shorter barrels because most pex pipe is a flexible tube.

Edited by Eightdotno, 20 April 2017 - 11:31 AM.

#4 vaan

vaan

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:35 PM

Some materials like CPVC for example, have an inconsistent ID, so it works for some, and doesn't work for others. Other materials like brass, have a very consistent ID/OD, so it's a more uniform fit. Materials like CPVC are great if they work for you because of the price point, but they're going to vary from tube to tube because they're ment for flow / wiring, which don't require tight tolerances on the ID, only the OD for couplings and such.

Edited by vaan, 20 April 2017 - 05:35 PM.

#5 Bubba Longshot

Bubba Longshot

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:27 AM

Cpvc is the go-to barreling material for me in Springer re barrels. To illustrate its effectiveness, a rebarreled LSFG with only duck tape for a seal gets ~35 flat. For Air Blasters, I'd recommend a crayola barrel, they are very easy to make and nest inside sch.40 half inch pvc almost perfectly. These two are probably the most easy to get, and cheap.
Good luck finding barrels
Bubba

Edited by Bubba Longshot, 22 April 2017 - 02:46 PM.

"The only thing that sucks about Nerf modification is the anxiety that something will break... That's why we reinforce a whole lot!" -Me

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: TTG, Tech Target Gun, Barrel, pls, Does anyone even read these?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users