Photo

Going spring hunting, no idea where to start.

spring

4 replies to this topic

#1 JohnB

JohnB

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:44 PM

I am going to be heading out later to the glorious hardware store! Gonna be buying some springs.... But I have no idea where to start. I have an Ace Hardware and Lowes in my area, should I stick to one or the other?

I need to get a spring for a Strongarm in particular right now.

I have this arms race with a friend at the moment...

Don't you just love it when you FINALLY finish that build you've been working on?

And then something breaks?

Fun.

#2 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:21 PM

For a strongarm, I think you're hosed. The ACE #49 is a go-to spring, and one of the hillman springs (Or is that at HD? It's the only one that either store sells that looks useful) is a useful upgrade, but I don't know that the strongarm can take either. I doubt it can take the #49 so try lowes and look at the one appropriately-sized spring I'm aware of that they carry and see if you think it'd work - open up your blaster beforehand and measure it. Keep in mind you can cut springs shorter, but if the OD/ID isn't right they might not work and if the spring is too strong (and strength is unlikely to be listed in a hardware store) it'll fail to catch if you're lucky and break your plunger/plunger tube if you're unlucky.

Otherwise, nearly all upgrade springs are either custom ordered or very carefully picked from a spring manufacturer's catalogue.

If you're in an arms race and heading to the local big box/hard ware store anyway, perhaps consider building a Mark-8 or SNAP and blow your friend away with a NIC-grade sidearm?

#3 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:21 PM

Take your Strongarm spring with you (and possibly the plunger rod as well), and search through the spring drawers at the hardware store. You want something that is close to the same diameter as the spring you're replacing, and the easiest way to figure that out is to physically compare. Don't worry too much about length - you can always shorten a spring, or stack a couple in a row.

Edited by Daniel Beaver, 20 April 2017 - 04:23 PM.

#4 Bubba Longshot

Bubba Longshot

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:18 AM

The Ace#49 spring will not fit around the plunger rod unfortunately.
What I'd do is take the stock spring and plunger rod to the store with me. Make sure you pad the plunger, as the strongarm plunger head is relatively weak.
Good luck
Bubba
"The only thing that sucks about Nerf modification is the anxiety that something will break... That's why we reinforce a whole lot!" -Me

#5 JohnB

JohnB

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:15 PM

Well I know to take the plunger rod and spring with me and I did not think about padding the plunger head.

Yes, perhaps making an NIC-grade pistol is the way to go. *evil smile*

Don't you just love it when you FINALLY finish that build you've been working on?

And then something breaks?

Fun.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: spring

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users