Simple Longshot mod?

Longshot Spring Mod FPS

11 replies to this topic

#1 Dinierto

Dinierto

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 08:09 PM

To start with, I'm a total n00b at this and haven't done any real modding yet.  I just bought the Zombie Strike Longshot, and everything I've read said that its older design underperforms when compared to more modern blasters.  I like to play with my kids so I'm not looking for any huge improvement, but I'd like to do a basic mod that adds maybe 10-20 fps.  The 8 kg spring upgrade says it gets up to 80-100 fps with the AR removed, but that seems on the high end of what I'd want.  Is there a basic upgrade I can do that adds a little less?  Would it make a difference to leave the AR in?  Any help would be appreciated.

#2 JospehSquared

JospehSquared

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 06:09 AM

You could probably just knock out your AR and maybe fill up the deadspace in the plunger tube. That would get you an increase in power without getting too crazy.

Edited by JospehSquared, 10 April 2017 - 09:23 AM.

#3 Dinierto

Dinierto

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:32 AM

You could probably just knock out your AR and maybe fill up the deadspace in the plunger tube. That would get you aneed increase in power without getting too crazy.

Thanks, I'll look into that!

If I upgraded the spring to an 8 kg but left the AR in, any idea where the speed level would reach in relation to an unmodded blaster, or one with an upgraded spring and the AR removed?

#4 JospehSquared

JospehSquared

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:22 AM

Honestly. Haven't modded enough longshots to tell you the difference. I can tell you that knocking out an AR is cheaper lol.

#5 Dinierto

Dinierto

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 10:12 AM

I'm not worried about the $15 spring. I just want something simple that will give me a modest boost while keeping extra wear and tear to a minimum.

#6 JospehSquared

JospehSquared

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 10:50 AM

Well to be honest with you I'm not experienced enough in modding that you should definitly take my word as law. I work with kids and we all had a nerf wars together. I went through the process I described and my blaster shot harder than their stock ones but not hard enough to hurt them. Hopefully someone else can come along who is more helpful than I! Sorry man!

#7 Dino

Dino

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 05:22 AM

Well you can get a NerfTurf 10KG spring, it hits around 80-90 fps with the A/R intact,

Longshot 10kg ar intact.jpg

Pic by Paige Rowntree

And with a foot of brass in the front you can get 175-200 fps with the A/R intact,

Longshot 10kg brass.jpg .

I don't know what other springs can put out but i think this should be plenty for your needs.

You can get your springs @ https://www.facebook...8022/?ref=br_rs/.

#8 Dinierto

Dinierto

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 06:04 AM

I'm surprised it's that slow, I was going to get the 8 kg spring, but now you have me wondering. Maybe 80-90 is the fastest anything can so with the AR intact? Don't get me wrong, that's about what I was looking for anyway, it just seems lower than I would have guessed.

#9 Dino

Dino

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 11:08 AM

Well as far as i can tell turf springs are the best kg to performance and they are a little cheaper then others (10$ish).

Keep in mind Longshots are old blasters the newer versions are just re-skins with less and the A/R is very bad compared to the A/R's in newer blasters, i would recommend that you take the A/R out and reduce the dead-space by filing the stock cup with glue or getting an aftermarket cup,

Longshot plunger cup with glue.jpg

This is the cup with brass in it to ensure a clean air-flow.

longshot bolt to cup part.jpg

This is where the bolt(orange) attaches to the cup(black), get some pipe cutters and cut them apart and then you can use brass(9/16") in sleeper style, this will make it have a better seal and if you cut the brass to the bolt size you have a better dart fit then the stock bolt, and you can put some brass(17/32") as a barrel to get around 200 fps ( i know thats overkill for you uses but itll be fun to fire at targets trust me)

#10 Bubba Longshot

Bubba Longshot

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 05:18 PM

By simply taking out the air restrictors, your Longshot will be getting around 70fps and fire elites 45 feet flat. I know this for sure, as I tested it before putting in a stronger spring. If you want something a little heavier, add a recon or strongarm spring to the stock one. This is the combo that I use in my Longshot, and it gets 89 fps with elites going 60 feet flat. These ranges are very nice since they're safe to use indoors, but not too light in an outdoor battle. Trust me, the mod that you want to do is air restrictor removal, with an added recon/strongarm spring. Just be careful when taking out the A.Rs with the hammer and screwdriver method. I accidentally broke the tip of my breech...( it's still ok)

Thanks,

Bubba

Edit: After rereading the first post, I would kindly like to point out that the 8kg spring gets 110fps without the restrictors. With them intact, the 8kg will get about 85-90fps.
Edit#2: Also, the stock spring along with the recon/strongarm is about 5kg total. For this setup, you DO NOT need to upgrade the catch. But you should reinforce your bolt-sled. Mine already has a crack and it's only been 3 months (I will buy a Orange mod works replacement).

Edited by Bubba Longshot, 11 April 2017 - 05:23 PM.

"The only thing that sucks about Nerf modification is the anxiety that something will break... That's why we reinforce a whole lot!" -Me

#11 Dinierto

Dinierto

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 05:49 PM

Thank you for the info!

#12 Pineapplepies

Pineapplepies

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 07:43 PM

I'm surprised it's that slow, I was going to get the 8 kg spring, but now you have me wondering. Maybe 80-90 is the fastest anything can so with the AR intact? Don't get me wrong, that's about what I was looking for anyway, it just seems lower than I would have guessed.

No, but it depends how far you want to go, I have modded one long shot before and actually I would reccomend just buying and using a [k25] because it has more potential, plus you get five LONG springs for 12.15 plus shipping. The only problem is the fact that it is slightly hard to prime, I would recommend getting a pumpgrip if you wanted to go a step further and get a [k26] to work, but the max and strongest spring the longshot can handle is a [k25].

Edited by Pineapplepies, 11 April 2017 - 07:43 PM.

<p>It's nerf or...... every other blaster brand that is better 

Darth nerf "I used to like the deploy, I ''twas but a learner, now I am the master" Obi buzz bee kenobi "only a master of nerf evil darth"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users