USC barrel material

USC pls help barrel PETG CPVC Brass IDK what else to put here

11 replies to this topic

#1 Penna

Penna

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 11:08 PM

I have been looking around the darts and barrels forum but haven't found anything so I figured it was time to ask. What would be a good springer fit barrel for these USC's?

Wye not?- Astech

Watch this It isn't a rick roll

#2 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 12:47 PM

Largely depends on what's locally available. Usually any springer barrel material will roughly work with any stockish dart, but you always need to fit your darts to your barrels and power system.

#3 Penna

Penna

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 04:40 PM

How would I do that?

Wye not?- Astech

#4 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 04:53 PM

Frankly, trial and error, like the rest of us.

[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#5 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 06:35 PM

How would I do that?

Take a dart to the hardware store and look for something that it fits well in. CPVC (copper-size PVC) is one dea, but it may be too tight. 0.5inch (nominal) diameter Schedule 80 PVC may be too loose, but you can try it.

One thing to keep in mind is that PVC inner diameter is not very consistent; if the dart is too tight in one piece of pipe, it may fit better in another piece.

You can also check out aquarium supply stores (usually not aquarium sections of other stores) for PETG.

Lastly, there's telescoping brass tubing (either 17/32" or 9/16" is what you want) usually sold in hobby stores.

Also, you may want to look into the recommendations set forth here: http://nerfhaven.com...ction-cup-slug/

Edited by jwasko, 29 March 2017 - 06:41 PM.

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#6 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:13 AM

Take a dart to the hardware store and look for something that it fits well in. CPVC (copper-size PVC) is one dea, but it may be too tight. 0.5inch (nominal) diameter Schedule 80 PVC may be too loose, but you can try it.

CPVC stands for Chlorinated Polyvinyl Chloride, not copper-PVC. Although it is copper sized. PVC is Polyvinyl chloride.

The important difference is that CPVC is ok for use as water-supply pipe, PVC is only waste pipe. 200 PSI PVC is usually yard drain stuff. CPVC also works as a barrel, where the regular stuff in the store (Sch. 40) does not; the rarer sch 80 does. Not sure what that's used for, but if you ask at a smart hardware store they might know.

Why all that matters is because supply pipes are kept together - copper, PEX, CPVC, and others are usually in one spot. Sometimes that's nowhere near the PVC drain pipe, which is nowhere near the 200 PSI PVC landscaping pipe.

Also important is that pipe sizes aren't actually an indication of pipe size, they're just names (until you get up to 3-4" pipe). And there are a few standards that plastic pipe adheres to. 1/2" CPVC and 1/2" PVC are not the same size in any way - in fact, 1/2" CPVC sometimes fits completely within 1/2" PVC without modification.

To give a bit better answer to the OP than my initial one; I take a dart or two to the store (HD/Lowes are fine) and test the fit of my dart in 1/2" CPVC. Some sticks will be too tight, some too loose, you'll probably have more luck with long 10' sections than the short ones for some reason. Sometimes one stick will vary beyond usable within the length of it. Tolerance on pipe ID is pathetic.

#7 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 05:01 PM

CPVC stands for Chlorinated Polyvinyl Chloride, not copper-PVC. Although it is copper sized. PVC is Polyvinyl chloride.

I know. But I believe I have seen online (even on McMaster, if I recall correctly)that they do make chlorinated PVC in standard Sch40 diameters.

That said, you're right the "C" in CPVC does just stand for chlorinated...but the stuff we use for barrels is in fact described as Copper Tube Size and that could be important if anyone orders online.

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#8 Penna

Penna

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 07:58 PM

Ok, thank you to everyone with their helpful suggestions. If anyone wants me to I can update some time in the future to tell everyone about what fits and what doesn't because I haven't seen that many posts of that kind.

Wye not?- Astech

#9 Snoop Doggy doge

Snoop Doggy doge

Fig you, Van

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 10:30 PM

.527 Aluminum is the recommended barrel material, The heads flex a bit and aren't the most optimal for tighter barrels. PEX is good as well, but I would steer clear of any CPVC unless it's truly magic (.51-.53 ID)

Your barrel material should have a .51+ ID,  I personally use a .495 because I'm running SCS and it's homemade but everyone else uses .527 McMaster aluminum.

#10 Penna

Penna

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:19 AM

Ok, thanks. Any tips for cutting aluminium?

Wye not?- Astech

#11 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 02:32 PM

Ok, thanks. Any tips for cutting aluminium?

Aluminum is pretty soft, you should be fine cutting it with a medium or fine tooth hack saw.

#12 Snoop Doggy doge

Snoop Doggy doge

Fig you, Van

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 04:29 AM

I'd get a pipe cuter TBH, they're useful AF. Otherwise a mitre box is nice for straight cuts, but I've cut it plenty of times holding it between my feet and holding it up with a hacksaw. Just wear gloves and do it outside because the leftover metal can lead to cuts. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: USC, pls, help, barrel, PETG, CPVC, Brass, IDK what else to put here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users