• 7 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:17 PM

So I've got an idea brewing in my head.... This is what I've got so far:

Side view

0d3a2fc1c51d7ae1b9103a3e5f7b0d1f.png

(top tier windows paint skillz)

Top View:

50aaaf324de4c680e62e2932bc8a025a.png

So the idea is you take the bottom off a bike pump, replace it with a PVC end cap, followed by a series of pvc Elbows, all leading up to your barrel of choice.

You attach that to a wooden body, with the trigger up front. Then using either extension springs or heavy duty rubber as the power source.

To prime it, you step on the Foot Bar, and pull the blaster backwards. OR you point it downwards and use your foot to prime it.

The design seems simple enough. It comes with an easy, already prepared perfect seal plunger tube and plunger.

The problem I'm encountering is, how do I make the trigger catch??? Thoughts? Suggestions?

#2 laser

laser

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 05:55 AM

i would suggest a rainbow catch or a snap style catch

#3 KaneTheMediocre

KaneTheMediocre

Belligerent Asshole

• Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:07 PM

Since your plunger direction is backwards, there is an extra-simple type of catch you can use that's super simple.  It doesn't really have a name that I know, but I used it in the http://nerfhaven.com...5-the-bullpump/ .  Below is the best picture of the trigger mech from one of those.
2011-04-16_02-46-10_640.jpg

Rubber-band catch spring is not recommended, but will work.  The catch interface can be basically whatever, and the load holds the catch caught once in place.  Basically if the trigger has a point above and in front of the pivot screw, that point will catch your whatever, and pulling the trigger will bring that point down and out of the way.  I don't have templates. When I made that, I just drew something that looked right and cut it out.  I don't think you need to do a great job for it to work.

Edited by KaneTheMediocre, 21 April 2017 - 08:10 PM.

RAINBOW CLAN FTW
I'm Purple

My Half-Baked MHA Site

#4 Bubba Longshot

Bubba Longshot

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 06:08 PM

If you are new at making catches, a pin style would work. It's super easy to build too. Just drill a hole near the end of the plunger and insert a screw, or thick pin. To prime and fire, pull back the handle, insert the pin, and pull it out to fire. This gives you a basic firing trigger, while you attempt to make a snap system.
On the side note, very cool design! I'm just wondering why it wouldn't be an inline plunger. That would reduce some dead space.You could make it more compact too... Just build a stock over the primed plunger rod, like a vintage Crossbow.
Good luck
Bubba

Edited by Bubba Longshot, 22 April 2017 - 06:11 PM.

"The only thing that sucks about Nerf modification is the anxiety that something will break... That's why we reinforce a whole lot!" -Me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users