stock modulus mod guide

4 replies to this topic

#1 shardbearer

shardbearer

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 01:05 PM

POPULAR

No, not the terrible one that stores magazines. The new one that stores darts, or snacks, or battery packs. It's retractable, the same length as the Raider stock, and pretty great for Stryfes and other flywheel blasters, where you want a large battery without a bulky battery door. Unfortunately it's a bit of a pain to get open, so here's how. Overall, it's a pretty simple mod.

First, the finished product:

mLC9cgKl.jpg

To open it up, first remove all the screws. You won't be able to butterfly the shell because of the hinge pin connecting the two orange pieces. I have tried several methods, including hammering and pressing it out with a soldering iron, and have not been able to remove it. However, you can get the shell open far enough to remove the stock tube.

BT9Oke9l.jpg

wzRNUIIl.jpg

After the tube is removed, you can bend the two sides apart far enough to rotate the two halves of the body, to get access to the inside.

To prevent the stock from collapsing under load, which it does pretty easily, put some hot glue or epoxy putty under the ratchet nub while holding it as far out as it will go. The stock will still collapse if you put a lot of load on it, so you probably wouldn't want to use this for a high spring load blaster, but it's totally fine for a flywheeler. You can't glue the tube into the shell, because you need to be able to remove the tube in order to swing the two halves of the blaster apart, and I haven't figured out how to remove the hinge pin. If you figure out a solution to this, let me know.

9TU8DH1l.jpg

If you're using this as a battery stock (and why would you use this stock if you aren't?), cut a slot in the internal wall of the body for your wires to pass through. Then use a long drill bit or dremel grinding bit to reach down the back of the tube, and put a hole through the wall there. I would recommend maybe 3/8", so that your connector cannot pass through and get lost in the stock. Cut two wires to roughly 10" long, solder a connector to one end, pass them through the hole, then solder the other end. Don't forget the heat shrink.

Reverse the disassembly to put it back together.

I'm using a Bolt 3S 1300mAh 65C Lipo, which fits pretty well, but still should have some foam padding. The internal space is 23 x 65 x 100mm.

ePmqIIsl.jpg

To attach a sling with this, I drilled two holes in the tube and tied a loop of paracord through. It works great.

DZw3CWwl.jpg

And that's it! Enjoy your battery storage stock. I might add some grippy foam or rubber to the back so it's not as slippery against the shoulder, but other than that it's great.

kpRjdvKl.jpg

Edited by shardbearer, 12 March 2017 - 02:36 PM.

#2 shandsgator8

shandsgator8

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 01:54 PM

Neat write up. I had to make heavy changes to my Stryfe's battery door to house it's 6 cell AA NiMH Eneloop battery pack, but this stock might be able to avoid that trouble while keeping things looking clean and as "stock" as possible. If I get a chance to get one of these for cheap, I'll definitely pick one up.

#3 SirBrass

SirBrass

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 08:22 PM

Unfortunately I'm having a hard time finding this stock. If you search for "modulus storage stock" even ebay only turns up the really crappy one that holds a magazine & flexes like Stretch Armstrong.

#4 shardbearer

shardbearer

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:05 PM

I had the same problems finding them in stores, and bought it on HasbroToyShop. Their cheapest shipping option was not that cheap so you might want to buy multiple items at once, but it ended up being 2 day Fedex Ground instead of the 7-10 business days they quoted.

#5 shardbearer

shardbearer

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:03 PM

After beefing up the retention mechanism, it becomes impossible to extend the stock again after you collapse it. The solution is pretty simple though, just cut out the notches that lock it into the retracted position.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: stock, modulus, mod guide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users