Photo

Cleanest way to open a magstrike?

3 replies to this topic

#1 ravetrooper

ravetrooper

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 09:32 PM

First time opening a magstrike. Already tried prying off the orange piece that goes around the pump with a small flathead screwdriver and it feels like it's not coming off without being mutilated first (something I really don't want to do).

Does anyone have any tips or success stories of a supah clean way to get this thing off?

1486780251127-1761087189.jpg

Gut the electronics, drill a hole in the shell, and attach a crank to the gear. Bam, crank-action stampede that doesn't require batteries, or even a trigger.

...(also judging by your past posts, I would consider you pretty dang wise elder like in the modding community :lol: )

#2 Slime

Slime

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 12:28 AM

The magstrike is one of my all time favorite blasters. It is also one of my all time least favorite to open...solely because of the confounded orange ring.

What I do to open mine is use a dremel with a cutting bit, and carefully cut two slits on the orange ring. One under, and one as close as I can to the top.

You may be thinking that this doesn't sound like a clean way of doing it. However, the last time I did this, both halves of the cut orange ring stayed on the shell. I was able to open up the blaster just fine, but the halves of the orange rings stayed glued on their sides of the shell. So besides the two noticeable dremled cuts, the ring stays on the blaster and you can easily open it risk-free. Not supah clean, but it does get the job done.

I've tried prying it as you have with no success, even tried hitting this bad boy with a heat gun and using a pair of pliers: nothing. How that thing is secured on there, we may never know. But if you try the dremeling method, all you have to do is a bit of sanding to clean it up and it won't look too shabby. I personally think it's your best bet, as it's what has worked best for me.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Slime, 12 February 2017 - 12:31 AM.

#3 Maniacal Coyote

Maniacal Coyote

On Increasingly Thin Ice

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 12:36 AM

Perhaps it's solvent welded with ABS solvent cement?

I know how to help you because I have broken every rule in the book.

#4 ravetrooper

ravetrooper

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 01:40 AM

Thanks for answering my question, Slime!

Gut the electronics, drill a hole in the shell, and attach a crank to the gear. Bam, crank-action stampede that doesn't require batteries, or even a trigger.

...(also judging by your past posts, I would consider you pretty dang wise elder like in the modding community :lol: )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users