Photo

For those in more humid areas what barrel material do you use?

8 replies to this topic

#1 Hunty Bunches Of Oats

Hunty Bunches Of Oats

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 07:48 PM

Hi, I live in Texas and am having trouble with beige foam slugs fitting in 1/2" petg (too tight). I went to the hardware store today and the 1/2 cpvc was an even tighter fit. My question is for those of you who are in a more humid area (like me) what barrel material do you use, and where do you get it? Thanks.

#2 TheNerfZilla

TheNerfZilla

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:58 AM

I'm in north Florida, and I've been using McMaster grey foam slugs in the tightest cpvc I've ever seen without issue. I'd consider giving schedule 80 half-inch pvc a try. It's similar to 9/16 brass but it's way cheaper, you can get it in longer lengths, it fits into couplers, and you can still sleeve 17/32 inside it for an airtight breech.
I have a blog now!
How to Get Started Nerfing Pt. 1
Eat spaghetti to forgetti your regretti 

#3 Snoop Doggy doge

Snoop Doggy doge

Fig you, Van

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 11:50 AM

Plastics can fluxuate in size, its not about the area it might just be the fit overall. It depends what blaster you're firing out of and dart fit, but stronger blasters can fire thick darts out of tight barrels. Beige foam is usually thicker so you want a thicker bore barrel if it's a weaker blaster. I reccomend some .527 alu sheathed in magic, or anything thats .511 bore and above to .527 bore. 

SCH 80 you have to get lucky with as some are a bit too loose, (.580 bore) while some are perfect (.511 bore)
A lot of plastic barrels you just have to get lucky with, 

#4 shmmee

shmmee

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:08 AM

Like Snoop said, plastics can vary greatly - especially CPVC. To dial that down into something useful, You should look for "flow guard gold" brand CPVC. I had to fish through the entire stock at several hardware stores in my area - and I can't guarantee it's even available where you live but I've never seen a stick of that brand that didn't provide a beautiful springer fit for beige hot rod foam. If you ever do come across it, I suggest you stock up and get enough barrel material to last you a lifetime. 

"and we should respect the people who make our blasters. Even if we do molest the hell out of them..."
~BritNerfMogul

#5 Hunty Bunches Of Oats

Hunty Bunches Of Oats

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:03 PM

Plastics can fluxuate in size, its not about the area it might just be the fit overall. It depends what blaster you're firing out of and dart fit, but stronger blasters can fire thick darts out of tight barrels. Beige foam is usually thicker so you want a thicker bore barrel if it's a weaker blaster. I reccomend some .527 alu sheathed in magic, or anything thats .511 bore and above to .527 bore. 

SCH 80 you have to get lucky with as some are a bit too loose, (.580 bore) while some are perfect (.511 bore)
A lot of plastic barrels you just have to get lucky with, 

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I found that there were other problems going on besides just the barrel fit, but that was still a problem. I'm going to try the aluminum, thanks for your response. Also I'm a little new to the hobby and was wondering what "magic" was, thanks.

#6 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:01 AM

Worth pointing out: humidity shouldn't affect closed cell foam in any meaningful way.

As Snoop said, a lot of the barrel material we use does not have tight manufacturing tolerances on the inner diameter. You have to shop around to find CPVC that will fit your darts well.

#7 Hunty Bunches Of Oats

Hunty Bunches Of Oats

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:09 AM

Worth pointing out: humidity shouldn't affect closed cell foam in any meaningful way.

As Snoop said, a lot of the barrel material we use does not have tight manufacturing tolerances on the inner diameter. You have to shop around to find CPVC that will fit your darts well.

I've heard mixed opinions on that, but what I can tell you is that after a trip to Home Depot and a trip to Ace and around 40 different test fits on cpvc I couldn't find one that had a good fit.

#8 mysterio

mysterio

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:35 PM

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I found that there were other problems going on besides just the barrel fit, but that was still a problem. I'm going to try the aluminum, thanks for your response. Also I'm a little new to the hobby and was wondering what "magic" was, thanks.

"Magic" refers to magic PVC, 1/2" PVC that is manufactured oddly and has an inner diameter that can fit 5/8" CPVC inside of it.

If two powerful is a problem then just go with one powerful. I guess this style of hopper will work even beyond three powerful..

15:46 *** Buff is now known as TheGdiddler
15:51 TheGdiddler I'M GONNA GRAPE YOU"

#9 ComradeSch

ComradeSch

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:01 AM

PVC works pretty well. I made a Mega Dart barrel out of an aluminium handle for a metal detector however.

Moar dakka iz best dakka ya gitz.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users