#1 Maniacal Coyote

Maniacal Coyote

On Increasingly Thin Ice

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • State:California
  • u/Maniacal_coyote on Reddit

Posted 23 December 2016 - 01:35 AM

DISREGARD THIS POST. I HAVE RESOLVED THE ISSUE.

Owner #1 (I'm Owner #3) used Erector Set pieces to reinforce the front section of his Xbow, about a decade ago.

Between the nut and bolt rusting together and the Allen head getting stripped, is there
away I can remove them without tearing a hole in the front of my Xbow?
20161222_221223.jpg

Edited by Maniacal Coyote, 29 December 2016 - 04:33 PM.

I know how to help you because I have broken every rule in the book.

#2 PraisinBran

PraisinBran

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • State:Oklahoma
  • u/>implying on Reddit

Posted 23 December 2016 - 11:23 AM

Could some WD-40 work?  You might be able to grab the nut with a skinny torsion wrench to grip it afterwards and then get the bolt out.  Other than that, you might have to drill it out and do some cosmetic work to make it look nice again which wouldn't be terrible.

#3 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 12:30 PM

You should consider grinding off the head of the bolt that's closest to the outside of the blaster. You can sacrifice some of the green plastic in the process, but leave the purple shell intact.

Could some WD-40 work? 

You should not use penetrant chemicals or sprays around plastics.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#4 Maniacal Coyote

Maniacal Coyote

On Increasingly Thin Ice

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 12:39 PM

Okay. Should I try to grind away at one of the washers on the bolt side? (I didn't get that in the picture, unfortunately).

Also, I managed to partially open it, pull out the plunger tube, and temporarily secure my CPVC coupler to the front with duct tape. Is it normal for a Crossbow to be exceptionally loud when firing a dart?

#5 Spud Spudoni

Spud Spudoni

• Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 03:16 AM

Also, I managed to partially open it, pull out the plunger tube, and temporarily secure my CPVC coupler to the front with duct tape. Is it normal for a Crossbow to be exceptionally loud when firing a dart?

Yeah Crossbows have a decent amount of noise when fired from what I remembered. Wasn't so loud that it took my attention though. I hope you plan on using something more than just duck tape to attach that coupler. It deserves better than that.

industrial designer

#6 Maniacal Coyote

Maniacal Coyote

On Increasingly Thin Ice

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 03:34 AM

Spud, I'm using the duct tape as a debugging method. I'm more concerned with "How drastically will I need to modify this to get it to work?" than "Is this a good permanent solution?"

I have to figure out what owner #1 and 'Urban Devil' did to this besides hotgluing the old barrel into the front with 2" of hose and hotgluing the ammo holder from an Expand-A-Blast on.

Regarding the noise, I think it's just an issue of tons of space in the shell. I've got the packing foam from my laptop ready to chop up and stick in there.

Edited by Maniacal Coyote, 25 December 2016 - 03:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users