Plunger Padding

pluger padding mod spring pluger padding

9 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel12

Daniel12

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 05:11 PM

Hi guys, I just want to know if I need some plunder padding if I use a 5kg spring on a Mega Bigshock? If I do, can I use those table leg pads? Also, how do I put the padding onto the plunger head?

#2 CaliforniaPants

CaliforniaPants

Futtbrustrated

• Moderators
  • 459 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 05:14 PM

most of the time people just use a thick craft foam of sorts and hot glue it on and you're done, I really dont know if it does anything? it probably does something?

trans as shit because fuck you

#3 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 05:16 PM

Any kind of foam used for this application will eventually just become crushed. Plunger head padding needs to be a rubber. The lower the durometer the better.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#4 Daniel12

Daniel12

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 05:22 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. What kind of rubber would you recommend?

#5 The2ndBluesBro

The2ndBluesBro

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 09:31 PM

You can buy furniture leg pads made from rubber, just make sure it says rubber on the back because many are made of felt. I bought some and they are black with a tread pattern (like those anti-fatigue mats or tread-plate metal). 

Nerf, Gaming, knives: https://www.youtube....FjcObRZTl2KReDQ

#6 Daniel12

Daniel12

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 04:43 PM

Thanks guys!

#7 Dino

Dino

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:39 AM

I may have a new model but my bigshock has a rubber top to protect the plunger, check if you have that, if so then you don't really need to pad the plunger head.

#8 shmmee

shmmee

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 12:25 PM

It isn't an issue with the big shock, but it's worth mentioning... padding the plunger tube of a mag fed bolt sled style blaster can decrease the plungers forward travel just enough to prevent the catch from engaging with the catch plate. I know it sounds paradoxical but I've had it happen before.

"and we should respect the people who make our blasters. Even if we do molest the hell out of them..."
~BritNerfMogul

#9 AtraUnam

AtraUnam

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 11:10 AM

Made an account just to ask this question, the advice on this thread seems to suggest rubber furniture stops as a good go too plunger stop as they don't end up being pounded flat and useless like foam or felt. So being very unsure of myself (and seeing no rules against non-nerf links for the purposes of a question) would something like this (appropriately trimmed down) be a good plunger pad material?

https://www.amazon.c...r furniture pad

#10 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:28 PM

Those are 18mm diameter, which is only .709 inches. That's rather small, but should probably work for some blasters. It would be preferable to get something larger, like a rubber fender washer.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pluger, padding, mod, spring, pluger padding

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users