Panther supermaxx supermax sm500

12 replies to this topic

#1 Silly

Silly

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 10:13 PM

Hello.

So i will get right to the problem i currently have with my supermaxx 500. The tank is fine as far as i know, but the pump is furiously shattered on the inside. I do not want to try to salvage the tank and pump because i am not experienced in how to fix it yet, so that's going into the parts bin.

What i currently need help with is trying to find a new air tank that could fit into the blaster. Preferably a air tank that is connected to the pump, but if you have proof of some other tank configuration that could work, then that would be helpful.

Here is the thing about the SM500. There is NO spare room where the pump and tank sits. No wiggle room, no space for anything that i currently have. List of tanks that i have verified don't fit:

AT3k
AT2k

Anything bigger than an AT2K tank will NOT fit without shell modification, which i want to keep to a minimum.
I have measurements of the tank and pump and barrel in the form of pictures (sorry for low picture quality, only got an ipad to take pictures currently). *Measured in inches*
IMG_0467.JPG
IMG_0464.JPG
IMG_0468.JPG
IMG_0461.JPG

So far i have asked bobololo for help on this in october which led to me buying a AT2K pump off ebay, which as i previously stated didn't fit. 

My thoughts are that maybe a panther tank (if minimized) could maybe work, but i cant find measurements of panther internals. Maybe that pocket shot or whatever it was called from N-Strike could work, but that thing is not nearly powerful enough for me. 

Thank you in advance,
Silly.

Edited by Silly, 13 December 2016 - 01:17 PM.

Co-Owner of the History of Nerf Modding research project, moderator of r/Nerf, owner of BlasterWiki, maker of 3d printed blasters (GitHub/Thingi) and Nerfy art.

#2 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:05 PM

One of the new, small Panther tanks may fit in the shell, but it will be nowhere near as powerful as the the SM500 tank itself, which as an enormous dump valve. Unfortunately, it also looks like the firing mechanism with the cam on the pin was destroyed, but it would still be good for you to use the stock tank.

I had a pump failure at the check valve on one of my 500s and I cut the pump tube off at the joint, and replaced it with an AirTech 2000 pump tube. If you have an AT2K pump, you might be able to do the same thing; it was a pretty straightforward swap and if you cut a little bit off the AT2K pump shaft, you can fit the 500's pump handle onto it.

Unholy Three: DUPLUM SCRTA, DUPLUM PROBLEMA (2009)

But Zeke guns tend to be like proofs by contradiction

Theoretically solid but actually non-constructive

Rnbw Cln

#3 Silly

Silly

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 08:20 PM

After a few hours i finally found it at the bottom of my 6th part bin. So many Roughcut guts, my god. Anyway, i think that its slightly broken and i dont know if it would still work for your suggested fix of the stock tank?

Thanks.

IMG_0472.JPG

IMG_0470.JPG

Co-Owner of the History of Nerf Modding research project, moderator of r/Nerf, owner of BlasterWiki, maker of 3d printed blasters (GitHub/Thingi) and Nerfy art.

#4 charlie156

charlie156

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 11:47 PM

You could try cutting the pump off and replacing it. Or, get a tetra strike tank. That may work.

#5 Silly

Silly

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 08:41 AM

You could try cutting the pump off and replacing it. Or, get a tetra strike tank. That may work.

Well im waiting for ice to tell me if this pump would work for his solution to my problem, and if it doesn't then i may look into the tetra strike tank.

And Ice, the firing stick that is pulled to fire was rusted and broken beyond repair above where i had to cut it. I made sure that it still reaches the trigger, so it will still function if the pump is replaced and the stock tank used.

Finally, as far as i understand i cut on the black line and cram the 2k pump in? Or is it the blue line where i cut?
IMG_1324.JPG

Edited by Silly, 14 December 2016 - 08:59 AM.

#6 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 12:51 PM

Finally, as far as i understand i cut on the black line and cram the 2k pump in? Or is it the blue line where i cut?

Yeah, cut it on the black line. You can use a hobby knife or something to carve out some extra plastic out of the hole that will remain and you should be able to make a pretty easy connection to the AT2K pump that way. I would recommend cutting along the black line as close to the pump as possible, so it gives you extra space on the bottom of the tank.

Tetrastrike tanks are probably worse than the small Panther tanks because they can take higher pressures and have a larger dump valve in the front. Plus, it's hard to separate Tetrastrike tanks since they come molded together.

Rnbw Cln

#7 Silly

Silly

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 01:00 PM

So thats a confirmation that the current 2k pump will work?
Also, do i just shove it in and hotglue/superglue it in place?

Edited by Silly, 14 December 2016 - 01:00 PM.

#8 Righteous Fondue

Righteous Fondue

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 03:14 PM

So thats a confirmation that the current 2k pump will work?
Also, do i just shove it in and hotglue/superglue it in place?

You really should attach some Vinyl tubing to the 2k pump then attach that to the tank, since it will be easier to get leak-free than a hard plastic to plastic bond. Also if something breaks or leaks then it's a lot easier to just add some new vinyl tubing than cut and re-bond two pieces of plastic. 

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

#9 Silly

Silly

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 08:12 PM

You really should attach some Vinyl tubing to the 2k pump then attach that to the tank, since it will be easier to get leak-free than a hard plastic to plastic bond. Also if something breaks or leaks then it's a lot easier to just add some new vinyl tubing than cut and re-bond two pieces of plastic. 

I have attached tubing to the tank, and now i am working on how to attach the tubing to the pump, since it is broken at the tubing attachment point, with no nipple to put the tube onto. I think i can make it work somehow, but i may just need to get a new 2k pump (or other pump, i think a 3k pump may work)

Edited by Silly, 15 December 2016 - 07:53 AM.

#10 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 12:22 PM

I have attached tubing to the tank, and now i am working on how to attach the tubing to the pump, since it is broken at the tubing attachment point, with no nipple to put the tube onto. I think i can make it work somehow, but i may just need to get a new 2k pump (or other pump, i think a 3k pump may work)

An AT3K pump is too wide to fit in the 500 shell. The AT2K pump tube will fit pretty much perfectly where the stock tank was located.

As far as attaching vinyl tubing goes, you could probably use a hobby knife or something to slowly open up the place where the tubing nipple broke off. Just be careful and maybe wash it out afterwards, since you don't want plastic shards in your check valve. It's definitely better to use vinyl tubing since you can get a better seal than attempting to bridge stiff plastic and it's more flexible in case you need to work on the pump or tank separately.

Finally, keep in mind that the 500 airtank is a ticking time bomb. They have a plastic hook that connects the stopper at the front to the firing pin at the back and it can break with pretty much no warning. They changed the design for the later SuperMaxx tanks, wherein the firing pin goes all the way through to the stopper. There's not really anything to do about it before it happens but I figured I would mention it here.

Rnbw Cln

#11 Silly

Silly

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 02:23 PM

Well when i finish the current fix, i may make/find a new airtank that fits and is more reliable and share how to make it on NH.

Edited by Silly, 15 December 2016 - 02:24 PM.

#12 Silly

Silly

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 09:17 AM

Update: I found that the SM3000 pump is perfect for this application if you sand down the tube connection like shown in the pictures.
Now all I need to do is secure it to the tank!

Also I found the problem with the stock pump. It had a massive hidden crack that snapped the pump in half when I took it off the tank.

IMG_0485.JPG
IMG_0483.JPG

#13 Silly

Silly

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 09:20 AM

Update:
Found something interesting. A xbz pump rod fits into a 1st edition sm3k pump and in the sm500 pump, and all the pumps are interchangeable. So I can stick my sm500 pump rod into the sm3k pump.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Panther, supermaxx, supermax, sm500

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users