5 replies to this topic

#1 NerfGeek416

NerfGeek416

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • State:New York

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:22 PM

https://drive.google...cXc?usp=sharing

The above link is to a folder which contains a solidworks .prt file and an STL file for my flywheel cage for RS (and stryfe, though I don't have Stryfe to measure). This is designed for an 8.5mm flywheel gap on stock wheels, which should theoretically hit about 140FPS. This design is UNTESTED, I'm waiting on my friend to print some over winter break. If you use it, I'd love feedback.

I'm releasing this in the spirit of pushing forward the Hobby, because there are no open source cages that I'm aware of. Feel free to use, modify, etc. as you see fit. As long as you credit me, I'm happy. I have no desire to sell this particular cage, if you think you can, go ahead. If you want other file types, let me know and I'll supply them if I can.

Future goals in this project are a hyperfire cage, a single-piece multistage system, and experimenting with different geometries. If you have other stuff you'd like me to persue, let me know. I need a winter break project.

If there are specific gaps for certain flywheels that people want, let me know. That dimension is very easy to change.

Credit: 95% of this was done by measuring stock parts. Flywheel gap was chosen based on reported measurements of the Artifact Red system.

#2 Snoop Doggy doge

Snoop Doggy doge

Fig you, Van

• Members
  • 500 posts
  • NerfHaven Subscription Supporter
  • Snoop Doggy Doge on Youtube

Posted 05 December 2016 - 09:17 PM

lit

You gonna war test it at Frozen Foam? Or Dartmas?

#3 NerfGeek416

NerfGeek416

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 09:41 PM

Probably not. I don't have a printer. I'm relying on my friend at RPI to print for me over break on his system.

#4 blitz

blitz

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • State:Virginia

Posted 06 December 2016 - 08:20 AM

Excited to see the results of this compared to the artifact cage! If they are comparable, then you just put flywheel modding back in open source (maybe not the flywheels, but still).

Will be printing one of these in the coming weeks, though we'll see if I can cobble together a proper flywheel blaster. 

Blitz, member of the FNBS
"sexual innuendo no intendo"

#5 Cali-Nerfer

Cali-Nerfer

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:17 PM

I hope this has the same kind of performance that the artifact red cage has!

Maybe I will print one. 

#6 Zack the Mack

Zack the Mack

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:28 AM

If I have some spare time in the lab this week, I'll try to print one up for you in ABS.

Ask me questions about electronics, Arduino, and 3D printing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users