Photo

Bike pump titan tank

15 replies to this topic

#1 DjOnslaught

DjOnslaught

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 04:47 AM

I recently got a small bike pump I want to use to pump up a titan tank, but I am unsure what fitting it would require to utilize the vinyl tubing needed.

This is the pump I want to use.
Topeak Mini G MasterBlaster Bike Pump with Gauge https://www.amazon.c...a_q6o6xbVK24DJ0

Thanks in advance.

#2 CaliforniaPants

CaliforniaPants

Futtbrustrated

• Moderators
  • 459 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 10:44 PM

do you want to be able to use that pump for other things? if so purchase a tire stem valve and find tubing that fits inside there and then over the fitting on the titan tank. if not just jam some tubing inside the pump hole and glue it up. 

trans as shit because fuck you

#3 DjOnslaught

DjOnslaught

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 10:57 AM

do you want to be able to use that pump for other things? if so purchase a tire stem valve and find tubing that fits inside there and then over the fitting on the titan tank. if not just jam some tubing inside the pump hole and glue it up. 

It's just for this project, I wouldn't even know what stem valve to get regardless so just put the tubing in and hot glue it? Or do you recommend a different glue?

#4 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 11:10 AM

It's just for this project, I wouldn't even know what stem valve to get regardless so just put the tubing in and hot glue it? Or do you recommend a different glue?

Use something meant for the purpose; I don't know what off hand (possibly goop or epoxy?) but I know that hot glue will fail on you.

#5 DjOnslaught

DjOnslaught

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 02:32 PM

OK epoxy putty it is then. Thanks guys, your both awesome

#6 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 09:15 PM

OK epoxy putty it is then. Thanks guys, your both awesome

Epoxy *glue*, not putty. That'll probably fail to hold air, and might crack under pressure. Find a pressure-suitable friendly-to-your-materials adhesive.

#7 DjOnslaught

DjOnslaught

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 05:03 PM

Epoxy *glue*, not putty. That'll probably fail to hold air, and might crack under pressure. Find a pressure-suitable friendly-to-your-materials adhesive.

What about a stem then so I can easily replace the tube if something happens, any suggestion?

#8 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:36 PM

What about a stem then so I can easily replace the tube if something happens, any suggestion?

A stem? Like a schrader valve typically found on a bike tire that a bike pump can readily attach to? Or something else

#9 DjOnslaught

DjOnslaught

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 05:03 AM

A stem? Like a schrader valve typically found on a bike tire that a bike pump can readily attach to? Or something else

The stem to push the vinyl tubing down on and have it hold it, what ever that would be called. I'm trying not to glue to the tube or the pump incase I need to eventually replace a part.

#10 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 03:05 PM

The stem to push the vinyl tubing down on and have it hold it, what ever that would be called. I'm trying not to glue to the tube or the pump incase I need to eventually replace a part.

OH, yeah, a barbed fitting is probably what you want. Maybe also with a hose clamp. Be warned though - that hose connection will fail before the tank does unless you get it on there right.

#11 DjOnslaught

DjOnslaught

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 11:19 AM

OH, yeah, a barbed fitting is probably what you want. Maybe also with a hose clamp. Be warned though - that hose connection will fail before the tank does unless you get it on there right.

That's why I wanna make sure I use the right kinda fitting to go from the pump to the hose.. the pump I'm using trips the OPRV on the Titan (with the hose manually held in place right now) in 2 pumps... I don't wanna plug that if I can help it

#12 CaliforniaPants

CaliforniaPants

Futtbrustrated

• Moderators
  • 459 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 05:45 PM

titan tanks don't have a built in OPRV, only the pump, so what you're probably hearing is a leak from you just holding the tank on. you'll have to be smart about how many pumps you put in or purchase an external OPRV to put in the system. 

the fitting you're looking for is this, commonly called a hose barb fitting. they come in lots of different styles, sizes and materials; find the size of tubing you want to use and match it to the correct size hose barb. glue one to the tank inlet and one into the bike pump's hole, if they're a double ended one like that you can cut them down to be a more manageable length for what you need. now you can change the length of hose whenever you need to and they'll stay on tight, they will blow off under very high pressure so you can put a zip tie or hose clamp around them if you'd like or you can use the hose blowing off as a safety measure to not blow your tank. hope it helps.

#13 DjOnslaught

DjOnslaught

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 07:48 AM

titan tanks don't have a built in OPRV, only the pump, so what you're probably hearing is a leak from you just holding the tank on. you'll have to be smart about how many pumps you put in or purchase an external OPRV to put in the system. 

the fitting you're looking for is this, commonly called a hose barb fitting. they come in lots of different styles, sizes and materials; find the size of tubing you want to use and match it to the correct size hose barb. glue one to the tank inlet and one into the bike pump's hole, if they're a double ended one like that you can cut them down to be a more manageable length for what you need. now you can change the length of hose whenever you need to and they'll stay on tight, they will blow off under very high pressure so you can put a zip tie or hose clamp around them if you'd like or you can use the hose blowing off as a safety measure to not blow your tank. hope it helps.

The link helps alot I may have used the phrase OPRV in error. It's the second fitting coming out of the back of the Titan tank. It's going into a spectre shell with the pump mounted under the tank actually (which has been a challenge in and of itself) so will only need roughly 1-2 inches of hose if that. (Gonna try and use the original hose from the Titan)

#14 CaliforniaPants

CaliforniaPants

Futtbrustrated

• Moderators
  • 459 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 08:10 PM

that second port at the tank is what used to go to the "pressure gauge" on the titan, it is at tank pressure and you need to plug it.  or if its at a better angle use that instead. 

#15 ComradeSch

ComradeSch

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 09:00 PM

I like drain blasters more because it's a premade package with a bigger tank than a Titan, and they're cheap, but I had a lot of trouble working with these sorts of projects.

Moar dakka iz best dakka ya gitz.

#16 DjOnslaught

DjOnslaught

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 04:04 PM

that second port at the tank is what used to go to the "pressure gauge" on the titan, it is at tank pressure and you need to plug it.  or if its at a better angle use that instead. 

I'm using the connector that's at a 90deg coming out of the tank. The straight one is the one I'm gonna plug. I'll have to figure a good way to do so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users