Photo

Homemade Titan Rockets- How would YOU go about them?

13 replies to this topic

#1 ComradeSch

ComradeSch

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 11:10 PM

Titans are a highly sought-after item, especially for its tank; However, some people, like Ryan from MTB, use the Titan as it was originally designed- Firing large rockets.

However, because Titan rockets are VERY expensive, how would you guys go about making a homemade one? I'm personally doing the R&D on making rings of craft foam and gluing them tightly around a piece of 1-1/4" PVC to ensure the shape and seal are good, but if you have any other suggestions, feel free to discuss the idea here.

Edited by ComradeSch, 24 September 2016 - 11:10 PM.

Moar dakka iz best dakka ya gitz.

#2 The lord of fish

The lord of fish

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 11:21 AM

IIRC, people have used pool noodle and pipe insulation with craft foam fins in the past. I think Draconis (or maybe someone else?) made some pretty sweet titan rocket alternatives as well.

Do you think she'll sleep with a panic switch?

#3 Kilomona

Kilomona

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 02:59 PM

I would use pool noodle with half stress balls on the top.

#4 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 03:37 PM

I would use pool noodle with half stress balls on the top.

Yep, that's about the best way to do it. Possibly also with craft foam fins.

#5 ComradeSch

ComradeSch

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 04:10 PM

Yep, that's about the best way to do it. Possibly also with craft foam fins.

IIRC, people have used pool noodle and pipe insulation with craft foam fins in the past. I think Draconis (or maybe someone else?) made some pretty sweet titan rocket alternatives as well.

Pool noodles are a good option; The only downside (for some) is that they require a rebarreling, which some might not want to do, though it is easy enough.

#6 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 08:03 PM

1/2" PVC makes a pool-noodle barrel *and* can house a barrel for a normal 0.50" dart (if you want the option of punching holes in people).

#7 ComradeSch

ComradeSch

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 08:07 PM

1/2" PVC makes a pool-noodle barrel *and* can house a barrel for a normal 0.50" dart (if you want the option of punching holes in people).

Well, no denying that. But an absolver would be a must.

#8 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 09:14 PM

Well, no denying that. But an absolver would be a must.

1/2" Threaded PVC fittings are also a thing.

#9 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 06:22 PM

My screw-on Titan barrels for my rockets will also shoot MEGA darts.  I use noodles with a PETG sleeve that improves performance an longevity.

[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#10 ComradeSch

ComradeSch

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 11:18 PM

My screw-on Titan barrels for my rockets will also shoot MEGA darts.  I use noodles with a PETG sleeve that improves performance an longevity.

Maybe you could elaborate on how your screw-on barrels work/post pictures? You've got my attention.

Edited by ComradeSch, 27 September 2016 - 11:18 PM.

#11 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 10:09 PM

Maybe you could elaborate on how your screw-on barrels work/post pictures? You've got my attention.

Probably a threaded 1/2" PVC fitting.

#12 Astech

Astech

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 12:41 AM

What are you making it for?

Do you just ant the stage presence of firing larger things than everyone else? If so, it doesn't really matter how you make them, because performance isn't what's important.

Do you want the psychological edge of firing big things at ordinary ranges? If so, I'd recommend Drac's approach, because its fantastic for that.

Do you want the performance edge that innately comes with firing larger calibre ammunition, thereby enabling superior range? If so, you have a problem:

Ordinary nerf darts are fired with an equalisation of pressure from inside and outside them, preventing rupture over numerous repetitions. This is one of the reasons that Drac's rockets are more durable - the PETG sleeve bears the internal pressure, and not a pool noodle. However, Drac's rockets are still a flawed system, as they do not have a sealed pressure container. You could improve on this by adding a cap to the PETG wall, then adding an O-ring at the tip of the barrel to ensure a perfect seal from barrel to PETG. This would allow you to ramp up the pressure (for higher acceleration), and increase durability (by having a sealed pressure vessel).

As for the head, use something a bit heavier, like half a stress ball with a weight inside. A rocket (even one with perfect fins) relies on the weight distribution being near the nose, otherwise you get spiraling and pretty bad inaccuracy. If you get a decent weight at the front (probably 50 - 100 grams), and no fins, your rocket will still fly true.

Overall, rockets do what MEGA darts should have done - add mass, so that range can be improved.

I've always wanted to be a pilot. Then I'll have an excuse to keep my head in the clouds.

#13 ComradeSch

ComradeSch

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 10:21 PM

What are you making it for?

Do you just ant the stage presence of firing larger things than everyone else? If so, it doesn't really matter how you make them, because performance isn't what's important.

Do you want the psychological edge of firing big things at ordinary ranges? If so, I'd recommend Drac's approach, because its fantastic for that.

Do you want the performance edge that innately comes with firing larger calibre ammunition, thereby enabling superior range? If so, you have a problem:

Ordinary nerf darts are fired with an equalisation of pressure from inside and outside them, preventing rupture over numerous repetitions. This is one of the reasons that Drac's rockets are more durable - the PETG sleeve bears the internal pressure, and not a pool noodle. However, Drac's rockets are still a flawed system, as they do not have a sealed pressure container. You could improve on this by adding a cap to the PETG wall, then adding an O-ring at the tip of the barrel to ensure a perfect seal from barrel to PETG. This would allow you to ramp up the pressure (for higher acceleration), and increase durability (by having a sealed pressure vessel).

As for the head, use something a bit heavier, like half a stress ball with a weight inside. A rocket (even one with perfect fins) relies on the weight distribution being near the nose, otherwise you get spiraling and pretty bad inaccuracy. If you get a decent weight at the front (probably 50 - 100 grams), and no fins, your rocket will still fly true.

Overall, rockets do what MEGA darts should have done - add mass, so that range can be improved.

I will take your advice into account; Note that I'm going for economy and compatibility with a stock-size barrel, though I am certain I could probably have a drain cannon backup for both.

#14 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 10:55 AM

Ooops, forgot about this thread, I apologize.

Yes, certainly.  The threaded adapters are actually tapped with a stupidly expensive ACME tap, and screw directly to the stock Titan tank.

Probably a threaded 1/2" PVC fitting.

Psh.

With a polyurethane foam hemisphere at the nose, most of the rockets weigh around 40-50g.

[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users