Nerfing In Make Magazine?

Just a thought

41 replies to this topic

#1 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 02:55 PM

I was reading an old copy of MAKE magazine, which is a popular mag for "makers", or people who like to hack and mod things around them. Basically, it is a magazine for DIY and modders, which classifies most people on this sight.

Anyway, there was a feature on a guy who modifies lazer tag guns to have wars in parks, much akin to our hobby. I think it would be a great way to showcase and publicize our hobby if we had an article in MAKE.

The website for the mag has a submission section, but you need to write an essay, and I'm neither eloquent enough or have enough free time for me to do it. Anyone wanna comment on the idea? Anyone wanna write the essay?

Personally, I think it is a really cool idea.
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#2 sn1per

sn1per

• Banned
  • 249 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 03:01 PM

Yah, it will bring a lot of new people to nerfing. I don't feel like writing the essay now (or ever, for that matter) but if absolutely needed, maybe.
QUOTE(Scotch @ Feb 3 2008, 05:47 PM) View Post

sn1per I appreciate your humor, that made me laugh literally out loud.

"It's a free country, UNDER MY DICTATORSHIP!!!"
-Connor

#3 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 03:49 PM

There's no way I have the time, college apps are due soon and then I've got finals; but, I like to think myself pretty proficient in grammar so I'd be willing to edit the essay if somebody else wants to write it.
" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
...and ideas are bulletproof. "
V

#4 bobafett109

bobafett109

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 03:49 PM

If you tell me what the essay is about, i'll try it. I'm not too loaded with homework, and I'm getting an A in English. If you want a more experienced nerfer, I understand
QUOTE(Carbon @ Feb 17 2008, 10:17 PM) View Post

QUOTE(FoamSniper @ Feb 18 2008, 12:08 AM) View Post

You're probably all wondering how to get a range of 95' from a mech 20

I was figuring you threw it.

#5 mystefansdontflystraight

mystefansdontflystraight

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:54 PM

I personally think that it isn't that good of an Idea. Imagine how many new people we would have joining NH, just out of the blue, with no clue how things work (Kinda like me, but a couple banning threats taught me).
Then, the orderly world that the founders and ambassadors have set up would be in ruins.
Validation would take years too.
Just a thought.
QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 24 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post

QUOTE(white moonlight @ Dec 23 2009, 01:29 PM) View Post

It's just screaming to be rearloading...

I seen a movie about that once.

#6 Maeric

Maeric

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:56 PM

You should have two people collaborate on it.... Like, one person who is really good at writing, and someone who is a good Nerfer. I could call the second one, not so much the first.
Active on H3Artificer as Halacar. GT: Halacar send me an invite if you wanna forge.
I'm amazing at Forza3! I destroyed the engine of a 2mil C car by downshifting! YAY!
I hate you. And all noobs who are like "OMFG i r liek, glued sh1t 2 shit. jak offf ma ego. NAOW!"

#7 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 05:32 PM

I personally think that it isn't that good of an Idea. Imagine how many new people we would have joining NH, just out of the blue, with no clue how things work (Kinda like me, but a couple banning threats taught me).
Then, the orderly world that the founders and ambassadors have set up would be in ruins.
Just a thought.

MAKE mag is for mature, smart, and mostly older readers. I don't think any of them will spam the sight or anything. Many MAKErs would love Nerfhaven.

EDIT: So is there anyone who would actually write the essay?

By the way, here's their site:

http://www.makezine.com/

Edited by Ubermensch, 02 January 2008 - 05:33 PM.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#8 bobafett109

bobafett109

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 06:13 PM

I'm volunteering to actually write the essay. It's a very good idea to have someone who is experienced at nerfing, since i'm fairly new. It would actually be better if a bunch of experienced nerfers and I got in like a chat room and talked this out. my AIM name is bfett109. Just throwing it out there.

#9 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 06:44 PM

This is something that I think would be a good opportunity for the site and community. I'd definitely like to contribute something. My AIM name is in my profile.

-Groove

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#10 The Bone

The Bone

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 06:45 PM

I think this is an awesome idea! Nice find. Just one question, exactly how long does the essay have to be?
No man ever won a war by dying for his country... he won it by making the enemy die for his

#11 bobafett109

bobafett109

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:06 PM

I'm guessing about a page or two, but it would be very nice if someone could post the actual form. I couldn't find it on the website.

#12 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:55 PM

Here is how you submit:

http://www.makezine....submissions.csp

Groove, and experienced nerfer like you could edit the essay to see if it represents the hobby well enough.

Here is how you submit:

http://www.makezine....submissions.csp

Groove, and experienced nerfer like you could edit the essay to see if it represents the hobby well enough.

EDIT: Oh, and they usually showcase some mod or device to represent what they are talking about, and if we are to give them an example, we should show them something really cool, like Captain Slug's homemades.
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#13 bobafett109

bobafett109

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:03 PM

I'm voting towards Eyes of fire

#14 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:12 PM

Nerf and Boltsniper were featured on the MAKE website twice now. It would be cool, but some 11 year old K'nex gun fag immature child would see it from instructables or something, and start joining and posting a bunch of stupid crap. Except multiply that idea by maybe..... 100?
Timothy M-Lick <3

#15 Thomas

Thomas

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:12 PM

I don't mean to insult Forsaken, because I think that his mods are genius, but I think that one of Captian Slug's Homeades should be entered, if any are entered. Unless we want to see modding regular guns, then it's Forsaken's all the way, or Bag's Sicklefin.

#16 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:37 PM

I would love to see my work in a magazine.

I would frame it and hang it next to the weapon of choice.

I think as a side article there should be a small section on how to make stefans.
So people know what we are firing.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#17 penguin807

penguin807

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 12:05 AM

If you guys need any help, you can contact me via PM or Email. If we go through with this, may I suggest we include one of the creations that were worthy of a name? (JAWS, BOB-II, Eyes of Fire, Arachnophobia, any of the good homemade work etc.)

#18 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:26 AM

FA_24's LS (even though I think he is overrated, not because you cannot mod, but because you just do stuff first, and you finish the hard stuff). That should impress and destroy.
We should stop calling out/making fun of/pissing GC off. He's actually contributed and is available for trade. He's a better than average member no doubt. Got your back Cole.
-Nerfer34

You know what... I know it's kinda late... but Props Cole.
-Baghead

#19 M30

M30

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 02:28 AM

If we're allowed to discuss a few mods, I think it would be best not just to show the insanely (awesome, albeit) difficult mods, but the simple ones as well.

Someone mentioned FA's LS mod. That's a great one to show how far this can go... but maybe preface that with TIG's original mod to simply remove the AR and replace the spring.

This gives a really great angle in terms of the spectrum of work done on this site. Start with the simple, basic stuff, and work up from there until we get something truly spectacular. It would go a long way in bringing new people to the activity and the 'Haven.

On that note: People that are worried about an influx of new members need to get over it. This is a public site that virtually anyone can post on. It is not some secret refuge from the idiots of the web, because like it or not, they're already here. If such an influx occurred, it would be prudent to handle it the same way new members are treated by the mature members already: kindly explain to them how things are done here, pointing out mistakes and encouraging the type of behavior we like to see.

Simple as that.

More people nerfing can never be bad.

EDIT: I also like to write, and have a good chunk of experience, being at University and whatnot, though I've only been involved with the Nerf community for a few months. If you need extra eyes on this article, do let me know. (Though it should probably be submitted to the community as a whole so everyone has a fair chance at input before it's submitted)

Edited by M30, 03 January 2008 - 02:31 AM.

"Whatever happens, happens."
-Spike Spiegel

"Trendy, hip OMC Quote"
-OMC

#20 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 07:25 AM

Nerf and Boltsniper were featured on the MAKE website twice now.

They were? Could you give me a link?
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#21 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:03 PM

http://blog.makezine...s_boltsnip.html
http://blog.makezine...TC-0D6B48984890
and
http://blog.makezine...our_nerf_1.html

I just searched MAKE's website.
Timothy M-Lick <3

#22 bobafett109

bobafett109

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:16 PM

If anyone wants to help out, drop me a line at bobafett109@yahoo.com
Also, please tell me your AIM name/make one, since that's how I assume we'll do a lot of our group work.

#23 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 04:05 PM

http://blog.makezine...s_boltsnip.html
http://blog.makezine...TC-0D6B48984890
and
http://blog.makezine...our_nerf_1.html

I just searched MAKE's website.

Well, you've got me, but I still think it would be much better to actually have it in the magazine.

Bobafett, glad you're so interested!
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#24 z80

z80

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 05:49 PM

Just a thought.

Yes, but as opposed to many of the old ideas, they are the RIGHT people to get to nerf. They will be people interested in modding and pushing the peices of plastic to their limits. They are modders and hackers just like us, but with other areas of expertise, that will bring fresh ideas and innovation to nerf. I personally think it is a great idea.

#25 sourskttles772

sourskttles772

• Banned
  • 263 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 06:23 PM

If you guys make this you should tell them about range increasing. And how to make Stefan's. And maybe like a short write up. I think it should be a basic mod like a nightfinder because most people have one laying around in there house.
http://nerfon.smffor...3.com/index.php
One man Clan:
I saw the Crossbow re-release on the shelf at my local Target, but I didn't want to tell anyone because I wanted them all to myself. I hid them all behind Dora the Explorer toys....
[/quote]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users