At the last SoCal war I tried out a system to get China darts (in this case, cut down ACCs) to fire consistently out of non-4B blasters. Before Armageddon, the U3 managed to get all of our blasters firing them in my garage perfectly, and then of course the day of the war nothing was working. I managed to bring that level of success up from "zero" to "about half," which is a bit of a start.
My theory was that these darts didn't have enough room to navigate inside of a 1/2" wye and I didn't want to do stuff like shave down the kink in the ceiling or whatever. I couldn't get them to work with a Zorn-style flute/chute hopper at a war so I figured I would just give them more space over all. I ordered a 3/4" wye. (Click the photos to embiggen.)
It's very similar to a 1/2" wye. It's almost unnoticeably bigger in practice. Unfortunately, I ran into a problem when I stuck it on my blasters: there was too much space inside the wye. It wouldn't feed almost ever in lower-powered blasters (e.g. Maximizer (!!!)) and I managed to get two darts simultaneously stuck in the barrel with my 4B. I took a piece of PETG and trimmed it so I could get a little tray for the darts inside.
This upped consistency in my driveway significantly. I was able to get this to fire out of all my non-4B blasters (mostly broken +bow, Maximizer, and a Panther, which fired out of the hopper every other shot). Power didn't seem to be as great as it used to be with slugs out of a 1/2" wye but the ACCs are also a little heavier than a #6 slug.
Here's how darts sit in it.
Were I to do this again, I would either put a stop at the back of the PETG or use a material where it wasn't possible for them to slide back or get vacuumed back (as I managed to do once with the +bow). Still, the ten seconds it took me to do this with an exacto knife was better than taking a dremel or scrollsaw to a piece of CPVC.
I made a barrel by jamming a polyester barrel through the back of a 3/4" to 1/2" reducer and chamfering it.
The PETG basically jammed right up against the barrel and made feeding EZPZ. I only had double feeds when I titled the blaster back and a dart slipped into the PETG in the back stub, so call that user error by bad material choice.
At the war, I managed to fire out my Maximizer with every other shot. Power was not great, definitely decreased as compared to a 1/2" wye with slugs or pink silicone domes, but out of the thirty shots I managed to fire, I hit at least TWO people. That is, percentage wise, infinitely better than I did with ACCs at Armageddon because none of my blasters were feeding them.
Maybe people can use this as jumping off point for future testing. Maybe the other perspective is that this will prevent people from wasting their time to try this out. Who knows. Let me know what you think.
Edited by Ice Nine, 23 July 2016 - 08:32 PM.