Photo

Comments on OMW Longstrike Immortal kit (2016 edition)?

OMW Longstrike Immortal 2016 upgrade mod Nerf

4 replies to this topic

#1 mojo1970

mojo1970

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 12:06 AM

Greets to all! This is my first post at NerfHaven, although my alias is known to Nerfers elsewhere.

I've searched here but cannot find any reference to the latest 2016 version of OMW's Immortal kit for Nerf Longstrike. I just installed mine yesterday, and it became immediately obvious that some parts are different than have been stated in previous articles or videos. I have some observations I could share, but these wouldn't count as a full review because I lack the facilities for proper range and chrono testing.

Edited by mojo1970, 28 June 2016 - 04:30 AM.

#2 CaliforniaPants

CaliforniaPants

Futtbrustrated

• Moderators
  • 459 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 12:24 AM

if you have some new and updated information please share it with as many pictures and info as you feel it needs, it'll help the next person who searches looking for the same thing. observations about the quality, fit, and other things like that are perfectly fine.

and welcome!

trans as shit because fuck you

#3 mojo1970

mojo1970

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 04:47 AM

Thanks for the welcome!

I bought one of the limited-release 2016 run of Immortal kits. It wasn't cheap, but I'd had enough of feeling sorry for my beautiful, neglected Longstrike and it was time to kick some arse. I wasn't talented enough to fashion my own Titan air-tank transplant yet, so I figured this was the way to go in the meantime.

Installation was not too difficult. 1) There was an unexpected solvent-weld in the front half of the blaster, which I don't recall people mentioning in YouTube videos. This particular Longstrike was bought used in a bundle, in excellent conditon. 2) I followed the OMW installation video, but as their demonstration blaster had already been modded, I had to guess at removing the horrid mess of factory locks. Doing so enabled de-priming; very useful. 3) I had to fight to stuff the trigger catch spring back inside the shell during closing. But I persevered, and did manage to get the beast working. The plunger hits home with a loud, convincing THWACK.

Side notes: I believe I had read that previous packages did not include trigger catch springs. This one came with two. Also, the trigger catch plate and the spring retainer were both gray metal, whereas IIRC past versions of these were in black plastic - I would guess PolyOxyMethylene, but cannot confirm.

I was disappointed to find that my bolt could not prime fully if I only pulled on one side; I had to grab both handles using both hands. EDIT: OMW have since explained that this is due to a shortcoming in the original Nerf design, and that out of the 7 Kg and 5 Kg springs included in this kit, the latter should make one-handing much easier. I don't know if it could be worked around with the larger bolt handles included in previous releases.

In summary, within the scope of this comment, I would say that this kit is for you IF you like the convenient drop-in aspect of it and if you are a die-hard Longstrike fan looking to redeem this Nerf b*st*rd child. If you have more talent than money, or if you just don't own a Longstrike in the first place, perhaps you'd be happier looking elsewhere.

Edited by mojo1970, 28 June 2016 - 03:33 PM.

#4 DjOnslaught

DjOnslaught

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:17 AM

If your plunger is making a loud thwack when dry fired, you need to pad it or you can break the plunger or plunger tube.

#5 The2ndBluesBro

The2ndBluesBro

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:56 AM

If your plunger is making a loud thwack when dry fired, you need to pad it or you can break the plunger or plunger tube.

This, or the barrel is too short.

EDIT: This doesn't apply to this blaster.

Edited by The2ndBluesBro, 28 June 2016 - 08:57 AM.

Nerf, Gaming, knives: https://www.youtube....FjcObRZTl2KReDQ

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OMW, Longstrike, Immortal, 2016, upgrade, mod, Nerf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users