Barrel type to use to fire elites in an air blaster

12 replies to this topic

#1 Vexal

Vexal

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 02:28 PM

Hello!

I am in the process of making a homemade-ish type of gun out of a drain blaster! For a quick reference to what i'm talking about, please visit this video! -> 

In the video, he uses 16mm, 20mm, and 25mm piping (Australian standard electrical conduit , according to him). I was wondering if anyone knows what type of pipe this is, where i can find it, and how tight my darts should be in the inner barrel (elite darts in the 16mm barrel), as I live in the US and am unsure what measurements (1/4 in, 3/8 in, etc) to use

#2 DjOnslaught

DjOnslaught

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 02:38 PM

Hello!
I am in the process of making a homemade-ish type of gun out of a drain blaster! For a quick reference to what i'm talking about, please visit this video! -> https://www.youtube....h?v=lOL_Dn2h6UM
In the video, he uses 16mm, 20mm, and 25mm piping (Australian standard electrical conduit , according to him). I was wondering if anyone knows what type of pipe this is, where i can find it, and how tight my darts should be in the inner barrel (elite darts in the 16mm barrel), as I live in the US and am unsure what measurements (1/4 in, 3/8 in, etc) to use

From what I know from reading lots of posts on here 17/32 is the OD of a elite dart, most people utilize 1/2 inch ID pvc or cpvc for barrels if I'm correct.

The barrel materials guide post in this section will have all the info for you.

Edited by DjOnslaught, 22 June 2016 - 02:40 PM.

#3 Vexal

Vexal

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 02:41 PM

From what I know from reading lots of posts on here 17/32 is the OD of a elite dart, most people utilize 1/2 inch ID pvc or cpvc for barrels if I'm correct.

The barrel materials guide post in this section will have all the info for you.

I read in the barrel materials guide and it said for air blasters it should be lose fitting around the dart. But what I am unsure about is how lose it needs to be

#4 LordGiratia

LordGiratia

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 03:42 PM

The problem is based on where you live the dart will condense or expand more so you may as well do your own testing, usually it's best for darts to loosely go through the Barrell with no resistance but not loose enough the air can go the path of least resistance around the dart. Also some air blasters need tighter barrels. Just do your testing and find what works best
Warning, my posts aren't finished when I post them, wait 15 minutes and the post will be perfect.

#5 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 04:02 PM

1/2 CPVC is sometimes a good fit for darts. Bring a dart with you to check. 1/2 CPVC sometimes fits into 1/2-PVC Schedule 40; otherwise you want 200 psi 'thinwall' 1/2 PVC. 1/2 PVC doesn't reliably fit into anything other than a 1/2 PVC coupler, I think 3/4 PVC is close though you'll need to ream it out.

I've got no idea how that relates to the drain blaster though. Your best bet is finding a barrel that works with your darts (push/twist fit in the CPVC) and then a way to attach that to the drain blaster's output port, ideally by bringing that part to the store to check the fit.

Before you ask, no, you cannot buy Australian standard electrical conduit in the US. At least, not cost-effectively (you could probably import some, if you wanted to spend loads of cash). We have different standards and use a different measurement system.

#6 Vexal

Vexal

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 04:34 PM

1/2 CPVC is sometimes a good fit for darts. Bring a dart with you to check. 1/2 CPVC sometimes fits into 1/2-PVC Schedule 40; otherwise you want 200 psi 'thinwall' 1/2 PVC. 1/2 PVC doesn't reliably fit into anything other than a 1/2 PVC coupler, I think 3/4 PVC is close though you'll need to ream it out.

I've got no idea how that relates to the drain blaster though. Your best bet is finding a barrel that works with your darts (push/twist fit in the CPVC) and then a way to attach that to the drain blaster's output port, ideally by bringing that part to the store to check the fit.

Before you ask, no, you cannot buy Australian standard electrical conduit in the US. At least, not cost-effectively (you could probably import some, if you wanted to spend loads of cash). We have different standards and use a different measurement system.

If you watched the vid you would see that I'm planning on attaching a coupler to the end of the drain blaster. And for the barrel that the elite will go into, would it be fine if there's a tiny amount of space between the dart and the wall of the pipe once the elites inside of it?

#7 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:46 PM

POPULAR

Everyone is dancing around the thing of substance here:  With a drain blaster, it doesn't matter who tight the barrel is, it will eject (at minimum) a portion of the dart  no matter what.  Probably the whole thing, even in something tight like 1/2" Flowguard Gold CPVC.  I recommend PETG for micro darts, which is partially why I offer it for sale to the community.

However.
Nobody want to play against a singled drain blaster shooting micro darts.  It isn't safe.  Almost all organized wars (in the developed world) require air blasters of Titan volume or greater to shoot larger ammo like rockets, balls, Demo missiles, etc. or have multiple micro dart barrels.

As for connecting to the drain blaster, my favorite method is to use a 1/2" NPT pipe die and cut threads on to the little outlet ball.  Then thread on a 1/2" NPT to slip pipe coupler.  I prefer to use pipe adhesive to weld the coupler on, but that is usually because I have no intention of removing it later.

Edited by Draconis, 22 June 2016 - 06:50 PM.

[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#8 Vexal

Vexal

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:30 PM

Everyone is dancing around the thing of substance here:  With a drain blaster, it doesn't matter who tight the barrel is, it will eject (at minimum) a portion of the dart  no matter what.  Probably the whole thing, even in something tight like 1/2" Flowguard Gold CPVC.  I recommend PETG for micro darts, which is partially why I offer it for sale to the community.

However.
Nobody want to play against a singled drain blaster shooting micro darts.  It isn't safe.  Almost all organized wars (in the developed world) require air blasters of Titan volume or greater to shoot larger ammo like rockets, balls, Demo missiles, etc. or have multiple micro dart barrels.

As for connecting to the drain blaster, my favorite method is to use a 1/2" NPT pipe die and cut threads on to the little outlet ball.  Then thread on a 1/2" NPT to slip pipe coupler.  I prefer to use pipe adhesive to weld the coupler on, but that is usually because I have no intention of removing it later.

It's going to be mainly for personal use, and can you show a picture of the pipe you're talking about because I can't find it online

#9 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 05:41 PM

It's going to be mainly for personal use, and can you show a picture of the pipe you're talking about because I can't find it online

Which do you mean?  PETG or CPVC?

PETG looks like this: https://store.visipa...astic-Tube.html

CPVC looks like this: http://www.homedepot...-0600/100170202

Have you looked at the barrel material guide?

#10 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:32 AM

Which do you mean?  PETG or CPVC?

PETG looks like this: https://store.visipa...astic-Tube.html

CPVC looks like this: http://www.homedepot...-0600/100170202

Have you looked at the barrel material guide?

I think he's asking about NPT.

#11 Vexal

Vexal

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:45 AM

I think he's asking about NPT.

Correct

#12 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:18 PM

NPT is National Pipe Thread, the standard (in the U.S. at least) thread diameter and pitch for plumbing parts.  

#13 OcO

OcO

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 08:58 AM