Photo

Nerf Apollo Mods?

8 replies to this topic

#1 Vexal

Vexal

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 07:48 PM

I'm about to purchase a Nerf Apollo, and I was wondering what mods were available for it. I did some research, and all I found was just normal lock removal, o-ring buff, and the addition of a return spring to the priming handle. I didn't see anyone mess with the spring at all. Could any springs be added or replace the stock spring?

#2 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 08:02 PM

Some of us have had trouble with the gears in the priming system breaking when stronger springs were installed.  Because of that, it has become infrequent.

[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#3 Vexal

Vexal

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 08:32 PM

Some of us have had trouble with the gears in the priming system breaking when stronger springs were installed.  Because of that, it has become infrequent.

Could the gears in the priming system possibly be reinforced with epoxy or some other material? And when you talk about gears breaking are you talking about the teeth on the gears?

#4 The2ndBluesBro

The2ndBluesBro

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 09:49 PM

Could the gears in the priming system possibly be reinforced with epoxy or some other material? And when you talk about gears breaking are you talking about the teeth on the gears?

Yes he is talking about the teeth on the gears and you can't reinforce the teeth. The only way to "reinforce" them is to replace them with gears made of a stronger material like aluminum. 

Nerf, Gaming, knives: https://www.youtube....FjcObRZTl2KReDQ

#5 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:30 AM

Yes he is talking about the teeth on the gears and you can't reinforce the teeth. The only way to "reinforce" them is to replace them with gears made of a stronger material like aluminum. 

Just to be clear, aluminum is definitely stronger than 99% of plastics, and would be strong enough to use for gears, but is absolutely the wrong material to use for any application that requires contact in motion with any other parts.  Aluminum will scratch and gall: Plastics (all of them), glass, brass, bronze, copper, steel, iron, basically everything except diamond, including itself.  Don't use it for gears.

#6 The2ndBluesBro

The2ndBluesBro

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 01:59 PM

Just to be clear, aluminum is definitely stronger than 99% of plastics, and would be strong enough to use for gears, but is absolutely the wrong material to use for any application that requires contact in motion with any other parts.  Aluminum will scratch and gall: Plastics (all of them), glass, brass, bronze, copper, steel, iron, basically everything except diamond, including itself.  Don't use it for gears.

Definitely true. I forgot to add if you replace the gears with aluminum the entire gear system must be aluminum. And greased to hell and back.

Nerf, Gaming, knives: https://www.youtube....FjcObRZTl2KReDQ

#7 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 03:33 PM

Definitely true. I forgot to add if you replace the gears with aluminum the entire gear system must be aluminum. And greased to hell and back.

Nononononono Aluminum against aluminum is worse than any other combination.

#8 Cheefman45

Cheefman45

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 12:33 PM

Nononononono Aluminum against aluminum is worse than any other combination.

What if you make a gear out of wood it maybe difficult to do but I'm pretty sure it will work as that wood can stand up to being an endcap on a 50psi air cannon,It should withstand a slightly stronger spring.

I'm about to purchase a Nerf Apollo, and I was wondering what mods were available for it. I did some research, and all I found was just normal lock removal, o-ring buff, and the addition of a return spring to the priming handle. I didn't see anyone mess with the spring at all. Could any springs be added or replace the stock spring?

Why don't you add a stock to it and make it pump action?

Edited by Ice Nine, 15 June 2016 - 01:15 PM.

When the things in life that give pause mean nothing, time becomes your friend.

#9 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 03:02 PM

What if you make a gear out of wood it maybe difficult to do but I'm pretty sure it will work as that wood can stand up to being an endcap on a 50psi air cannon,It should withstand a slightly stronger spring.

While a wood gear actually might be stronger than whatever plastic they're using (depending on species it can be stronger than plastic), it's also going to be harder to make one custom to the right size than to just buy proper brass gears. And you have the whole "wood is anisotropic" problem, so you'd want plywood to help with that. Really, if you were DIY'ing it you'd end up with a massive clockwork geartrain. Awesome, but really impractical.

Why don't you add a stock to it and make it pump action?

This is a great answer, doing it will make the blaster much more practical to use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users