Nail Polish for painting?

2 replies to this topic

#1 Shin Ryoku

Shin Ryoku

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • State:Massachusetts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 09:35 AM

Hello! I do not know if I am putting this in the right place but, I am working on painting a nerf blaster. Just put a black base coat on it and I plan to use a paint brush to add details but, instead of using paint such as citadel paint do you guys think nail polish would work? And the black base coat is a Duplicolor black vinyl and fabric dye

Edited by Shin Ryoku, 11 June 2016 - 09:38 AM.

#2 The2ndBluesBro

The2ndBluesBro

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • State:Ontario
  • MKC on Youtube

Posted 11 June 2016 - 09:47 AM

No use enamel or acrylic paint and duplicolor wheel matte clear coat. It doesn't adhere as well as paint and it doesn't look good especially alongside paint.

Nerf, Gaming, knives: https://www.youtube....FjcObRZTl2KReDQ

#3 Guest_TheSilverhead_*

Guest_TheSilverhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2016 - 01:19 PM

Nail polish is meant to come off, eventually. It uses some very nasty chemicals as solvent. This can include acetone, depending on the brand. (The pigments are suspended in the solvent. When the solvent evaporates, it leaves the pigment layer.) These chemicals can quite easily damage plastic- enough acetone will melt your shell nicely.

Don't worry about Citadel for your very first paintjob. Go to your favorite craft, hobby, or big box store and pick up some Testors acrylic model paint and some cheap brushes, and get some practice in. Acrylics are easy to work with and clean up with water- enamels require mineral spirits or another solvent to clean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users