9 replies to this topic

#1 Coop

Coop

#sogoodmuchtacticswowinit2winit360noscopehax0rleetbeastmodeactiv

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 06:24 PM

Supreme HvZ Retaliator Modifications: A Tutorial

What’s up, nerds? I’m here to teach you how to complete a quick and easy HvZ-style blaster modification for the Nerf Retaliator. As everyone that actually plays nerf knows, Stryfes are the master-race of Nerf guns and anything but a flywheel blaster is second tier. But there are some nerfers out there that don’t want to hassle with the soldering, buying upgraded batteries, or are bothered by the loud noise of an upgraded flywheel Nerf gun. Fine, live in 2009 with your spring propulsion. But while you’re back in 2009, this tutorial will show you how to make your superior-tier Retaliator into something that can at least compete with an upgraded Stryfe.

Tools Needed
- Screw driver, phillips
- Needle-nosed pliers
- Pliers
- Blade – Xacto blade, pocket knife, or sharpened unicorn horn will work
- Bandsaw – can be substituted with Dremel + cutting wheel or hacksaw

Materials Needed
- Nerf Retaliator (available through any number of Nerf retailers. Blue Elite version shown, but this mod will work with the XD or any other version)
- Worker pump kit for the Nerf Retaliator (can be found on Taobao. For the purposes of keeping this tutorial up-to-date, here is a link to the searched term ‘worker nerf’ so you can find a seller that offers these pump grips: HYPERLINK WIZARDRY)
- Worker stock (can be found on Taobao. For the purposes of keeping this tutorial up-to-date, here is a link to the searched term ‘worker nerf’ so you can find a seller that offers these pump grips: HYPERLINK WIZARDRY)
- Upgraded Retaliator primary and catch springs (can be found from many mod companies or hardware stores if you get lucky. OMW offers springs HERE)
- JB Weld (available at any hardware store)

Retaliator
IMG_1958.JPG

IMG_1961.JPG

Open it up.
IMG_1964.jpg

You can start by removing these two white pieces of plastic. They restrict the magazine release and the trigger.
IMG_1968.JPG

IMG_1970.JPG

Next, remove this screw. This will release the slide from the shell.
IMG_1975.JPG

Bust out the Worker pump kit for the Nerf Retaliator.
IMG_1977.JPG

Get the small brass colored piece (from the pump kit) and push it into the Retaliator’s boltsled. This piece is what the pump kit attaches to from the outside. The small ridges in the piece create a friction hold inside the existing boltsled holes.
IMG_1982.JPG

Using pliers is a pretty easy way to ensure a snug fit.
IMG_1987.JPG

Now bust out the upgraded springs. If you upgrade the primary spring (which increases power/velocity) I would highly recommend upgrading the catch spring as well. If you have too weak a catch spring in relation to your primary spring, the catch may disengage “on its own” and when your finger is not on the trigger. Not cooh.
IMG_1972.JPG

Reassemble the internals while omitting the two locks we removed earlier and the external slide. The springs should also be replaced by this stage.
IMG_1988.JPG

Close shell.
IMG_1992.JPG

This is the piece that connects to the pump grip. It will all make sense as you read further. The answers shall come in time, young Padawan.
IMG_1994.JPG

Next, we must modify the Retaliator barrel extension to allow the use of the pump kit. The pump itself rides along the existing N-strike rail, which is part of the reason it is so smooth to operate.
IMG_1996.jpg

But the N-strike rail has a small obstacle that must be removed in order for the pump grip to have full travel.
IMG_1998.JPG

Get pliers, a dremel, or some other wizardry and remove the notch from both sides of the barrel extension.
IMG_2002.JPG

I think it’s helpful to remove the bulk of the plastic with pliers and clean up the remaining bits with a knife. An Xacto blade would be great here, or just a well-maintained pocket knife.
IMG_2004.JPG

Install the grip arms onto the grip using the included hardware and Allen wrench.
IMG_2005.JPG

Bam, completed.
IMG_2008.JPG

Slide the pump grip onto the barrel extension’s N-strike rail.
IMG_2038.jpg

Install the two final screws (one on each side) to connect the pump arms to the brass colored pieces we installed earlier.
IMG_2044.JPG

For added comfort and ergonomics, I definitely recommend installing the vertical grip that is included with the kit. The metal pump grip is fairly small and a bit tricky to grip alone. The vertical grip will ensure you can go supah fast.
IMG_2009.jpg

Bam, now you can fire from the hip all day every day, slayin’ zambies left and right. Maybe you’re thinking, “But Coop, I need to attach my tacti-cool scope or I won’t be able to aim! Where did the top rail go?!”
IMG_2012.jpg

We can fix that by cutting down the priming handle. I used a bandsaw but you can use a dremel or even a hacksaw. Just ensure you take enough material off to allow the pump arms to clear the blaster body.
IMG_2013.JPG

Chopped!
IMG_2017.JPG

Mix up some JB weld...
IMG_2020.JPG

And slather it on to the Retaliator shell. I chose to only put the adhesive on the right half of the shell, which allows me to unscrew the left side of the priming handle to access all of the main body screws. Because this part isn’t really load-bearing (unless you have a 5lbs. optic, lolol) it’s really not a big deal to only have adhesive on half.
IMG_2027.JPG

You can put the rail further forward to mimic the Retaliator’s traditional appearance, but I decided to move it back a bit to ensure the access door can still open.
IMG_2029.JPG

Bam, now you can slay zambies with your hardcore, supah leet tacti-cool scopes attached! But what about more comfort?
IMG_2039.jpg

The best stock on the market right now is the Lightning Storm stock in the Hasbro water-gun line. This item is a knock-off of that product made by the company Worker. Perhaps it is a patent infringement... but China aint got no time for dat.
IMG_2031.JPG

Bam, done. Now you can shoot further, faster, and more comfortably than in stock form. And the amount of time and skill for these modifications is very low.
DSC_0004.JPG

And if you prefer different colors, the grip also looks supah cool on the XD white Retaliator.
DSC_0015.JPG

The goal of this tutorial is to instruct the new modders how to build a battle-practical spring blaster if they don’t want to use a Stryfe. Some tutorials in previous mod contests didn’t even podium because they were too hardcore and way outside the reach of the superior community. So this tutorial features modifications that practically anyone can do.

"All you did was buy stuff and install it onto the blaster. That wasn't even a mod!"
Yeah, I know. The days of tinkering with your toys at home without a material cost and wrecking everyone at your wars are over. Taking out the AR's is a waste of time and the best way to increase power in a spring blaster is by replacing the spring. If you want a more cosmetically appealing mod that wrecks zambies, build a Strayven and call it a day. But garbage mods like a Strayven don't "fit the contest" so here is a tutorial on how to be successful at modding with zero skill!

- Coop

On the other hand, the guy who posted before me used the word 'fuck' a lot so he probably knows what he's talking about.

#2 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 11:00 AM

"Mods by Coop, or how to get kids to install stuff made by companies, so I can get a kickback for the advertisement."
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#3 ravetrooper

ravetrooper

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 12:20 PM

"Mods by Coop, or how to get kids to install stuff made by companies, so I can get a kickback for the advertisement."

I think he makes it pretty clear on his channel that he isn't an affiliate of any of these companies. I also got a' plenty more vibes of "go mod a stryfe if you want to be a tier-one nerfer" than "buy this kit for newbs!" It was more like, "buy this kit IF you're a newb!" And since nobody wants to be a newb, especially the newbs themselves, that hardly counts as advertising.

Good writeup though, Coop. Sadly, I won't be needing it because I'm upgrading to tier-one status bahaha! See ya newbs!
Posted Image

Gut the electronics, drill a hole in the shell, and attach a crank to the gear. Bam, crank-action stampede that doesn't require batteries, or even a trigger.

...(also judging by your past posts, I would consider you pretty dang wise elder like in the modding community :lol: )

#4 Spiderbite

Spiderbite

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:30 PM

- Worker pump kit for the Nerf Retaliator (can be found on Taobao. For the purposes of keeping this tutorial up-to-date, here is a link to the searched term 'worker nerf' so you can find a seller that offers these pump grips: HYPERLINK WIZARDRY)
- Worker stock (can be found on Taobao. For the purposes of keeping this tutorial up-to-date, here is a link to the searched term 'worker nerf' so you can find a seller that offers these pump grips: HYPERLINK WIZARDRY)

How does one successfully navigate through the Chinese encryption? Is there an English version of the site?

Or hell, Spiderbite has sweet deals on this stuff now, so there's really no reason not to Rainbow.

[k26] springs!

#5 meishel

meishel

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:48 PM

- Worker pump kit for the Nerf Retaliator (can be found on Taobao. For the purposes of keeping this tutorial up-to-date, here is a link to the searched term 'worker nerf' so you can find a seller that offers these pump grips: HYPERLINK WIZARDRY)
- Worker stock (can be found on Taobao. For the purposes of keeping this tutorial up-to-date, here is a link to the searched term 'worker nerf' so you can find a seller that offers these pump grips: HYPERLINK WIZARDRY)

How does one successfully navigate through the Chinese encryption? Is there an English version of the site?

Taobao is the chinese ebay basically. There isn't a US version of the site, but there are "Taobao agents" which are sites that will purchase the item for you, get it delivered to them, and then deliver it to you. I use Buychina.com, but there are numerous others. Most Taobao agent sites allow you to paste a direct URL for a taobao item into their search bar, and you can see as much of it in english as possible.

#6 Xellah

Xellah

They call his chin.... Captain Underpants

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 08:19 PM

"Comments by Draconis; posts pseudo-clever remarks on any/all posts on NH before returning to his regularly scheduled shitposting on NMW."

Fixed that for you. Also:

Good writeup though, Coop. Sadly, I won't be needing it because I'm upgrading to tier-one status bahaha! See ya newbs!
Posted Image

^This guy knows whats up. #StryfeMasterRace #OperatorAsFuq

Edited by Xellah, 01 June 2015 - 09:21 PM.

Ultimator Duel

it cant be as bad as reloading an ak-47 on the run

#7 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:47 AM

Fixed that for you. Also:

Seriously? I can't think of a bigger copout for a modifications contest than to buy a kit. We all know he can do better, so why not actually do it? It is more of an insult than an entry. Also, I don't believe anyone about affiliations anymore, but why would I waste my time watching youtube videos about painting shit instead of doing something productive?
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#8 ravetrooper

ravetrooper

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 11:28 AM

...why would I waste my time watching youtube videos about painting shit instead of doing something productive?

Dude, if you were on youtube and produced somewhat decent videos I'd probably watch them as well. I like keeping up on what other people are creating, it helps keep me creative. It was actually Coop's "Dahmer" video that led me to this site and hobby. When I have an idea for a mod, it's nice to be able to have a visual + various yay or nay opinions on what works and what doesn't for different people. I don't think that's wasting time at all. Watching that stupid HEYAYAYAYA or whatever video hidden in Xellah's signature was a waste of time though :P Ranting about one's jealosy of successful youtubers would also be a waste of time... QUICK! Someone hurry and start asking more questions about how to use taobao before this continues any longer!!

Gut the electronics, drill a hole in the shell, and attach a crank to the gear. Bam, crank-action stampede that doesn't require batteries, or even a trigger.

...(also judging by your past posts, I would consider you pretty dang wise elder like in the modding community :lol: )

#9 Coop

Coop

#sogoodmuchtacticswowinit2winit360noscopehax0rleetbeastmodeactiv

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 12:56 PM

1) I can't think of a bigger copout for a modifications contest than to buy a kit. We all know he can do better, so why not actually do it?
2) It is more of an insult than an entry.
3) Also, I don't believe anyone about affiliations anymore
4) why would I waste my time watching youtube videos about painting shit instead of doing something productive?

1) Because garbage-tier modifications don't even podium is superior contests.
2) trololol
3) You clearly know very little about online affiliate programs. I do not get a kickback from Worker sales on Taobao. #illuminati
4) Yeah, because trolling around a forum for an obscure hobby is SO productive in comparison to watching YouTube videos about it.

Draconis, they do sell a product to help butthurt dudes that troll the interwebz tearing everyone down in order to make their pathetic excuse of a life more bearable. HYPERLINK WIZARDRY

On the other hand, the guy who posted before me used the word 'fuck' a lot so he probably knows what he's talking about.

#10 Foammunition

Foammunition

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 12:52 PM

Draconis, they do sell a product to help butthurt dudes that troll the interwebz tearing everyone down in order to make their pathetic excuse of a life more bearable. HYPERLINK WIZARDRY

ANALITY! I know this is an old thread, but that was f'ing hilarious.

Edit: Ice Nine didn't think so, but so far he's the only one.

*EDIT*: I was mistaken thinking that Draconis was the same as Drac, AKA Lord Drac, the "vampire" from youtube.

I have been notified that this is not the case by perhaps a half dozen people... thanks, I got it now. Apologies to those offended. If I was Lord Drac I'd be pissed.

Supposedly Draconis is respected member of this community. So far I've only read thread he's involved in, and I don't respect him. He needs to quit worrying (being jealous) about how other men make their money. Kudos Coop, if only we all got paid to play with toys.

I tried all the links provided by the OP... notta-one was anything more than a search form cut-and-paste for Worker parts on TaoBao... no direct sales links. He didn't even link to the Retaliator, which he could have.

Draconis is wrong, at least in this case, and so are the admins who protect him. This is a perfect example of the definition of the word Libel, and as far as I can tell is in violation of nerf haven rules... I.E. the comment was good old fashioned trolling, at best.

I mean, if the mod was so bad, why accept it as a submission to the contest? Just so you can ridicule him? Grow the f*ck up. *END EDIT*

USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST

NICE POST, GUY. THANKS FOR CONTRIBUTING TO THIS THREAD.  "ANALITY!" WHERE DO YOU COME UP WITH THIS STUFF?

Edit: Thanks! Totally worth it. Love your profile by the way, Ice Nine... so appropriate.

Edited by Foammunition, 07 June 2016 - 10:59 AM.

Foam first, ask questions later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users