Photo

Cheap stock dart mods

6 replies to this topic

#1 Cheefman45

Cheefman45

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 11:31 PM

I was sitting in the bed and thought about how could I increase the range of regular darts I found a left over wood dowel from a PLTW school project as well as some playdoh so I decided to try to made darts with it. The modded darts look the same as the other darts. I tried to cut them but they splintered as I don't have my saw with me. So I decided to put the slates of wood down there and sure enough the wood stayed. This can't be used in guns with air restrictors. I name them the splinter slugs. NOTE: The elite darts are cut down those are called phaser rounds I ran some of these through my Retaliator when I could access it and I could fire two at once through magazines.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20160511_231653.jpg

When the things in life that give pause mean nothing, time becomes your friend.

#2 xXD3V1LXx

xXD3V1LXx

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 11:39 PM

I feel likethese are extremely dangerous at high velocities.
A quote from Ice Nine
"Use the golden rule: Don't be a dick."

NERF On
-Devil

#3 DjOnslaught

DjOnslaught

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 04:42 AM

I feel likethese are extremely dangerous at high velocities.

I agree, this type of round I also feel would never be war legal for any reason.

#4 Pineapplepies

Pineapplepies

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 09:51 AM

I agree, this type of round I also feel would never be war legal for any reason.

I would have to disagree, I feel that if one were to find a good padding to use with them they could make a non-metal Stefan or a better/slightly safer slug.(also people allow slugs in wars which have metal in them and I would like to ask if you would rather be hit by a high velocity dart with metal or a VERY small piece of wood) I think someone could cut these dowel rods down and use them hollowed out foam backer rod or ACC blanks, find a way to keep the dowel rod in the dart then pad the head of the dart so it would not hurt.

Edit:I am a bit confused and didn't notice that little wood thing which if that is the dart then that is definitely not safe but if the darts are the buzz bee extremes then they are most certainly safe

Edited by Pineapplepies, 12 May 2016 - 09:53 AM.

<p>It's nerf or...... every other blaster brand that is better 

Darth nerf "I used to like the deploy, I ''twas but a learner, now I am the master" Obi buzz bee kenobi "only a master of nerf evil darth"

#5 BananaNuggets

BananaNuggets

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 08:34 PM

The Illustration is a bit confusing, is the dart the wood thing on the side that I assume you are inserting into a regular dart?

#6 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 05:32 PM

I would have to disagree, I feel that if one were to find a good padding to use with them they could make a non-metal Stefan or a better/slightly safer slug.(also people allow slugs in wars which have metal in them and I would like to ask if you would rather be hit by a high velocity dart with metal or a VERY small piece of wood)

You are obviously not a woodworker. You would not believe the number of injuries I've gotten from pieces of wood, or the number of pieces of wood probably embedded somewhere within me right now. Plastic too can be dangerous (PVC can be especially sharp if it bursts) if it snaps instead of bending, but wood (especially this thin) can turn dangerous from a pretty low threshold of force because it's failure mode is "break into extremely sharp shards". Which is, ironically, in the name the Cheefman45 has given the darts.

Just for firing, these darts are probably much safer than they appear. But looking at it more holistically, in the event someone physically handled it roughly or stepped on it or something you're likely to get injuries. At least the metal in a slug has an extremely low chance of penetrating your skin under any circumstance, because the metal washer is unlikely to fail and because if it does it'll bend rather than splinter.

Also, they're likely basswood or something else really light, so I'm dubious as to the effectiveness over a safer (possibly cheaper) straw-reinforced dart, which won't splinter.

Edited by Meaker VI, 13 May 2016 - 05:32 PM.

#7 Cheefman45

Cheefman45

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 09:57 PM

I know I am late to reply to my own thread but I would like to say is the tiny dowel piece is to be used in only the buzzbee extreme darts not the nerf elite darts as that would be very dangerous. Also this wood dowel at the size I would but it at (roughly 5mm long) would take a lot of force to splinter as I haven't seen this in my PLTW class and we fave hit these dowels with 60fps of air form cannons and steel marbles and nothing happened.

When the things in life that give pause mean nothing, time becomes your friend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users