What darts should I be using?

11 replies to this topic

#1 Arkaon

Arkaon

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 11:27 PM

Evening,

I recently purchased a Nerf hammershot, and have been browsing the forums quite a bit.

My goal is to enjoy the blasters, with some adult friends in a non sanctioned (or official) manner.

I looked into the mods for the blaster already, and looks like I will be removing to air restrictor(s), and possibly applying more lubricant.

As for darts, I have looked into the various types and am a little overwhelmed. There are a LOT of variants running around out there, and while I have seen a few guides about what the different types are, I haven't found one that explained the pros and cons of including most of the variants. The guides I have seen here seem to cover only a few types.

On to my question: What would be the best darts for me to use for range and accuracy? The green Zombie Strike darts seem to be wildly inaccurate, and that is rather frustrating.

Also, given that I am using a spring blaster (correct?) That uses the dart posts inside each chamber (also correct terms?), am I able to use things like Stefans or Home-mades?

Thank you,
Arky

#2 The2ndBluesBro

The2ndBluesBro

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 11:32 PM

The dart post is unnecessary and can be cut out entirely to enable the use of Stefans. For full length darts, get some USCs or ACC darts, for the ACCs cut them down into Stefans as they are more accurate like that. Either option will solve your accuracy problem, although basically your first step is basic mods to the hammershot itself. I'd recommend a better spring, the 7 dart 3D printed cylinder and if you are keeping the stock cylinder, cut out the posts. Leave the AR in though because it no longer hampers performance like it did on the old n-strike blasters.

Nerf, Gaming, knives: https://www.youtube....FjcObRZTl2KReDQ

#3 Arkaon

Arkaon

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 11:41 PM

The dart post is unnecessary and can be cut out entirely to enable the use of Stefans. For full length darts, get some USCs or ACC darts, for the ACCs cut them down into Stefans as they are more accurate like that. Either option will solve your accuracy problem, although basically your first step is basic mods to the hammershot itself. I'd recommend a better spring, the 7 dart 3D printed cylinder and if you are keeping the stock cylinder, cut out the posts. Leave the AR in though because it no longer hampers performance like it did on the old n-strike blasters.

Hey,

I appreciate the reply. Could you indulge me a bit while I pick your brain?

What are USC's?

Are ACC's the black ones that say ACC on top? I thought those were hard to find and expensive? (As in I got the impression they aren't being made anymore)

Which Spring? Is there a post somewhere which would recommend a spring for my blaster?

3D printed Cylinder? I'm interested. Where can I see that?

How does the AR no longer restrict performance. Isn't the whole part where it restricts airflow, the part about reducing performance?

Also, if I put a better spring in, and leave the AR's, is that somewhat redundant? I guess I didn't know that things had changed with the AR's. Is there info about that change I can read?

Thank you,
Arky

#4 The2ndBluesBro

The2ndBluesBro

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 12:00 AM

Hey,

I appreciate the reply. Could you indulge me a bit while I pick your brain?

What are USC's?

Are ACC's the black ones that say ACC on top? I thought those were hard to find and expensive? (As in I got the impression they aren't being made anymore)

Which Spring? Is there a post somewhere which would recommend a spring for my blaster?

3D printed Cylinder? I'm interested. Where can I see that?

How does the AR no longer restrict performance. Isn't the whole part where it restricts airflow, the part about reducing performance?

Also, if I put a better spring in, and leave the AR's, is that somewhat redundant? I guess I didn't know that things had changed with the AR's. Is there info about that change I can read?

Thank you,
Arky

Ok the USCs are Universal Suction Cup darts, there is more info on them in the darts acronym guide thread here on NH. Yes those are the ACC darts, they are still produced. Search "Nerf black dart" on eBay and you will get a bunch of listings. A lot of people use the orange mod works 8kg spring but there are many others as well. I don't know if there's a specific link for the 3D printed cylinder but someone else might be able to find one (this is because many people print and sell them so it isn't just one seller). It's hard to explain with the AR but basically they redesigned it so it does what it's supposed to (stop dry fire damage without a reduction in performance). Adding a better spring will give you the same benefits as it would on older blasters, removing the AR does not have any impact whatsoever. It used to restrict performance significantly on blasters like the longshot, though.

Edited by The2ndBluesBro, 09 May 2016 - 12:02 AM.

Nerf, Gaming, knives: https://www.youtube....FjcObRZTl2KReDQ

#5 xXD3V1LXx

xXD3V1LXx

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 05:37 AM

Acc are ACCtually pretty cheap (all bad puns aside). You can get 50 for a dollar on wish.com. https://www.wish.com...1f43d408e0b6d5b

Thanks maniacal for the link!
A quote from Ice Nine
"Use the golden rule: Don't be a dick."

NERF On
-Devil

#6 Snoop Doggy doge

Snoop Doggy doge

Fig you, Van

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 06:53 AM

How dare you not plug in my over plugged dart guide lol,
Here is the guide to all superstock darts

I reccomend USCs, but you should get a little bit of everything for testing. 

#7 Arkaon

Arkaon

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:40 AM

Hey guys,

Thanks for the info so far. More questions if you don't mind.

Will.the hammershot not work with Stefans, or other shorter darts?

How can I know if I have a newer version of the blaster or not?

#8 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:27 AM

If you're largely doing stock stuff, Gen 3 Koosh shouldn't do you wrong. They look similar to stock darts, they act similar but are more accurate (not painful), and they function well in stock blasters (I read complaints on r/nerf about some of the other darts not being great in flywheel blasters). You can always cut them down yourself if you want to use shorter darts, but they won't require you to remove the AR unless you do.

#9 Arkaon

Arkaon

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 10:11 AM

Meaker,

Appreciate the reply. We aren't specifically doing stock, and it's more of a "Lets have some fun getting more into this than we prolly should". All of us are in our 30's(+), so it's not unreasonable for us to play around with a little bit of everything. 

That being said. I don't think I have a flywheel. Those are more electric blaster yes? So, those Koosh darts should work fine in my spring revolver?

#10 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 10:47 AM

Meaker,

Appreciate the reply. We aren't specifically doing stock, and it's more of a "Lets have some fun getting more into this than we prolly should". All of us are in our 30's(+), so it's not unreasonable for us to play around with a little bit of everything. 

That being said. I don't think I have a flywheel. Those are more electric blaster yes? So, those Koosh darts should work fine in my spring revolver?

To your questions, yes flywheels are electric and yes Koosh will work in your springer. They're really basically just better stock darts, my group uses them (and stock darts) exclusively.

#11 Arkaon

Arkaon

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 10:55 AM

To your questions, yes flywheels are electric and yes Koosh will work in your springer. They're really basically just better stock darts, my group uses them (and stock darts) exclusively.

Excellent - I appreciate the info.

#12 VNERF

VNERF

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 03:12 PM

Here's two examples of seven shot cylinders.  I have the first.

http://www.ebay.com/...iUAAOSw37tWBVkd

https://www.etsy.com...p_home_active_3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users