Photo

EB-1 minerva

6 replies to this topic

#1 Cheefman45

Cheefman45

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 02:09 PM

Recently my counselor have me an R.C car and as I cannot afford to buy a nerf gun I would like to ask does anyone have ideas on a homemade flywheel cage. All I have is one 3 square inch piece of wood, 1 ft piece of pvc, a little bit of wire, a little bit of caulk and finally a few screws from old toys. Any help would be welcome. I already have flywheels set up on a piece of wood. UPDATE: So far I have added a barrel I just need to make it permant. Also I have to find a switch to wire it to.IMG_20160511_224251.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 1462730780305.jpg
  • 1462730780305.jpg
  • 1462730780305.jpg

Edited by Cheefman45, 11 May 2016 - 10:58 PM.

When the things in life that give pause mean nothing, time becomes your friend.

#2 Remzak

Remzak

• Members
  • 94 posts
  • State:Massachusetts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 09:30 PM

You could make a flywheel assisted blowgun, essentially mounting the flywheels at the ends of a piece of pipe, then when you blow a dart through them they act as an afterburner. Something like this: https://m.youtube.co...h?v=WM8X6L4N-a0
Unnoficial "Drone" Expert

#3 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,190 posts
  • State:Washington
  • u/MeakerVI on Reddit

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:37 AM

I've seen 'homemade' flywheel cages on r/nerf, but they all required pretty high end manufacturing capabilities (3d printing or CNC milling). You could screw motors to a piece of wood (as you've done?), but to make optimal use of flywheels you really need a magwell and pusher mech, which aren't easy to just explain. There used to be really old (early-mid 2000's) tutorials on using deodorant tubes as magazines here on NH, I'm not sure if the guides exist anymore though.

IMO, your better option would be to dig around in thrift stores until you find a stock flywheel blaster. I saw a hailfire a week or two ago in a value village. The trick is to go routinely, not necessarily to lots of stores. Around here, basically any blaster in a thrift store would be $4-5.

#4 Cheefman45

Cheefman45

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:35 PM

I've seen 'homemade' flywheel cages on r/nerf, but they all required pretty high end manufacturing capabilities (3d printing or CNC milling). You could screw motors to a piece of wood (as you've done?), but to make optimal use of flywheels you really need a magwell and pusher mech, which aren't easy to just explain. There used to be really old (early-mid 2000's) tutorials on using deodorant tubes as magazines here on NH, I'm not sure if the guides exist anymore though.

IMO, your better option would be to dig around in thrift stores until you find a stock flywheel blaster. I saw a hailfire a week or two ago in a value village. The trick is to go routinely, not necessarily to lots of stores. Around here, basically any blaster in a thrift store would be $4-5.

I found the deoderant stick mag here and figured a way to change the design to make it cheaper. Also I don't live near a thrift store and don't have any money to get one. And with the pusher mech do you think if I made the mag I could still use the blowgun design.

#5 Spud Spudoni

Spud Spudoni

• Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:03 PM

I found the deoderant stick mag here and figured a way to change the design to make it cheaper. Also I don't live near a thrift store and don't have any money to get one. And with the pusher mech do you think if I made the mag I could still use the blowgun design.

Yeah probably. If you make the deodorant stick mag gravity fed, and glue it directly to the open pipe, then use the deodorant cap as the top of the mag that seals it off, I'd imagine it would work.

Also, MAD props for the amount of quality ideas you are able to come out with, with what you are given. This is definite proof that you do not need the best tools or materials to create something in this hobby.

industrial designer

#6 DjOnslaught

DjOnslaught

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • State:Maryland

Posted 10 May 2016 - 04:47 AM

I like what you have so far. Keep in mind the primary purpose of the flywheel cage is to help with the dart entering and exiting the flywheel area as well as stabilizing the flywheels themselves. That should make it easier to adapt with that in mind.

#7 Cheefman45

Cheefman45

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 05:11 PM

I like what you have so far. Keep in mind the primary purpose of the flywheel cage is to help with the dart entering and exiting the flywheel area as well as stabilizing the flywheels themselves. That should make it easier to adapt with that in mind.

I decided to do the blow gun design because it is easier to do and I have the materials for it but thanks for the suggestion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users