How do I connect CPVC to PVC?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Maniacal Coyote

Maniacal Coyote

On Increasingly Thin Ice

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 07:06 PM

I'm not sure whether this belongs here or in homemades. Anyway, I'm trying to figure out how to get a 1/2" CPVC barrel to fit in a socket for 1/2" PVC; it's a little too large to just wedge into a stub of SCH40, and I have no bloody clue how to get thinwall.

Also, why are so many modded blasters couplered? Wouldn't it be better to put a stub of pipe in the front? That way you wouldn't have as much deadspace.

I know how to help you because I have broken every rule in the book.

#2 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 07:54 PM

You can find some Magic PVC or just ream out the inside of sched 80 PVC with a knife, dremel, file, lathe, or piece of sandpaper wrapped around something cylindrical.

Many modded blasters with a coupler are probably either pre-hopper or not powerful enough to hopper.  On some blasters, you can't put the wye right up against the blaster anyway, because the shell would be in the way of a hopper, so there's no reason not to just stick a coupler on there in case you want to use some other barrel arrangement. 

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#3 Buffdaddy

Buffdaddy

Do not buy from this member

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 824 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 07:55 PM

Couplers get used mainly because they're easy for everyone to get, and simple to use. If you're worried about the dead space, you can always use some kind of bushing so that the barrel sits closer to the plunger tube.

As long as you chamfer the inside of a stub of 1/2" S40 PVC, you can hammer 1/2" CPVC into it.

#4 Remzak

Remzak

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 01:32 AM

A 1/2" CPVC coupler has the same outer diameter as a piece of 1/2" schedule 40 PVC. You can also use a heat gun on the PVC, then jam in the CPVC once the PVC is more pliable.
Unnoficial "Drone" Expert

#5 Maniacal Coyote

Maniacal Coyote

On Increasingly Thin Ice

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 10:33 PM

Thx, need to hit my local ACE on Wednesday.

I know how to help you because I have broken every rule in the book.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users