Photo

Which and what to do for a super-stock springer?

5 replies to this topic

#1 VulcanGuy

VulcanGuy

• FNG1 
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 08:34 PM

Hi everyone

My local war starts up at the end of the month, and they have a hard cap on 130 FPS which I believe is what is referred to as super stock. Anyways, I have plans for a pretty neat stryfe mod and I'm running out to the hardware store to finally construct my own tool arsenal, which will be cool. Thing is, I don't want to rely solely on batteries, because while LiPos last a long time and all, there's still a chance for me to mess up, or anyone I bring with me to run outta juice on their weapon, or whatever may happen. So I'd like to have a low-tech gun that can still be competitive in this environment.

I currently own a decent candidate for the job ; the OG dark blue Longshot CS-6. Performance is roughly to be expected from an original N-strike series gun bought used from someone who seems likely to have left the spring pulled back. I've been told an air restrictor and a decent spring mod might bring me close to or maybe over the limit, so that's why I'm asking.

I've also been told that a longshot isn't an ideal modding platform, and a retaliator mod would serve me better for this performance bracket. The guy basically made it sound like the longshot is black and white, either N-strike or top tier.

Thing is, I don't have a retaliator on hand, but r/nerfexchange, the 2 thrift stores in town, or the fancy exclusive toys r us recolor while it still exists are all cheaper options to get my hands on one if it's really that much better.

But, if it's not really essential to go for a retaliator, what kind of springs am I looking for in a superstock longshot? I know absolutely nothing about mod springs, so any good explanations on any terms and factors are welcome.

Thanks all.

#2 Elithenerficorn

Elithenerficorn

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 09:09 AM

The longshot is a great modding platform.
Expirement. most real modding is trail and error.
A brass breach and a better seal are both good places to start
Can I get a large FUCK YOU with a side of nerf please.

#3 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 01:41 PM

I would ignore unicorn dude's advice. The stock seal is adequate and a brass breech is neither a good place to start nor keeping your blaster "super stock".

There are a variety of aftermarket springs available for the longshot. If you retain the stock priming set up (pulling a bolt handle and loading eccentrically) you will want to reinforce the bolt sled with pretty much any spring replacement. I've heard of stock sleds breaking at 9 kg from the high torsional stresses. If you install a pump grip, you can get away with higher spring loads without reinforcing the sled.

#4 Elithenerficorn

Elithenerficorn

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 04:03 PM

I’m not a dude:)
I didn’t mean the plungerhead seal, I meant the seal between the bolt and the end of the plunger tube. Even on new longshots, that seal is terrible, and it’s worse on older longshots. Same with the stock barrel. there is only a half-inch of seal. With brass breaches, you can expirement with barrel lengths to get the FPS you want. You could also forgo the sealed breach for just brassing the bolt. Tantum is completely right about reinforcing the boltsled. I didn’t even bother with it though and instead just bought an omw unleashed solid stage two kit, which comes with a reinforced boltsled, reinforced plunger rod/head assembly, and a metal trigger.

#5 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 04:25 PM

I have an OG blue longshot with the stock plunger AND lip seal. It's brassed, and when I plug the barrel and fire, the plunger STOPS midway through its travel. Again, unless the o-rings themselves are damaged, the seals are more than adequate. What do you mean by seal on the stock barrel? If you're referring to the hole in the bolt, then yes, obviously plug that.

Also, there's zero reason to bother with a brass breech if you need to stay under 130 FPS. It's also pretty clear the OP is a beginner, which is another reason to avoid a brass breech for now.

Just brassing the bolt is reasonable, but depends on the darts you use. You don't want to brass it to 9/16 as that's looser than stock barrel, but 17/32 is far too tight on most 3rd part full lengths that I've tried.

To reiterate, if your goal is 130 fps, then do the following: Reinforce the boltsled, upgrade your spring (let's say 9 kg) and if you are under performing you can brass the bolt. This entails buying a 17/32 drill bit, and drilling IN REVERSE and VERY SLOWLY through bolt so you can insert the brass. If these mods give >130, you can re-open the hole in the stock bolt that you've probably plugged with a bead of hot glue at this point.

As far as the exact spring to get, I kind of pulled 9 kg out of my ass. I've never ran a longshot that didn't have a [k26] plus stock spring. Someone else may have better FPS data for stock bolt, replaced spring.

Edited by TantumBull, 04 April 2018 - 04:27 PM.

#6 Elithenerficorn

Elithenerficorn

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 08:00 AM

For a spring get the omw 8 kilo spring

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users