More longshot questions.

12 replies to this topic

#1 Shin Ryoku

Shin Ryoku

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • State:Massachusetts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 04:54 PM

Hello! I am posting again about longshot questions. I didn't want to post on my old post because I would  be asking a lot more questions so I thought I might just start a new one. Anyway, I have recently destroyed a apollo and took the internals that interested me. As I am still new to modding, here are my questions:

1) Can I put a apollo spring in a longshot? If so, should I replace the spring,spring addition or something else? The spring is 3 1/2 inches long.

2) I took the small springs out of the apollo, would any of those springs work for a upgraded catch spring for a 8 kg spring? I did mix up the springs though  :wacko:.

3) I broke a pen with a small spring in it which is two centimeters long and definitely stronger, will it work for a upgraded catch spring for a 8 kg spring?

Thanks, if I have more questions I will comment on this post.

Just incase you want to see my last post about this question http://nerfhaven.com...-mod-questions/

And finally this is a ZED longshot, but from what I heard, it changes nothing-just a reshell.

#2 charlie156

charlie156

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 05:08 PM

your best bet is just to test it. we dont know much about what springs youre using so we cannot say for certain, but should be relatively ok

#3 Shin Ryoku

Shin Ryoku

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 05:22 PM

The easiest thing might be just to buy a spring made for it from OMW. Is there a way to purchase a catch spring from a site like OMW or  oznerfnerd. I do not want to do a site like mcmaster. If you have a source, a link would be appreciated.

#4 Cartaya

Cartaya

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 06:21 PM

No, no and no.....

1. A Rival spring is 14 kg's, nice power but is too short for a Longshot and for the plunger to compress all the way to the head of the Plunger and the Rod catch to engage the trigger catch.  Aftermarket Longshot springs are typically 5.5" of free space and 1.3" of solid space, this one is 3.5".   However, a cutdown C-882 Century spring Company spring (7/8thsx8-1/2"x.072 wire gauge, 22 coils, I love this spring) works great cut down to 15 coils, squared and ends ground and has generally the same wire gauge, coil spacing and coil pitch as a rival spring.  Rival springs are good for other blasters however...like Firestrikes...

2. and 3.  I recently worked on my friends Singled longshot, where I used the C-882 spring as the center spring and a OMW 10Kg spring as the outer spring, but also used 5/8"ths of a Century C-528 spring (3/16thsx1"x.028" wire gauge).  A pen spring just isn't the right yield for a good longshot trigger catch spring.

--Cartaya

Edited by Cartaya, 06 April 2016 - 07:59 PM.

....Fear of a Nerf Planet!

#5 Shin Ryoku

Shin Ryoku

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 07:10 AM

No, no and no.....

1. A Rival spring is 14 kg's, nice power but is too short for a Longshot and for the plunger to compress all the way to the head of the Plunger and the Rod catch to engage the trigger catch.  Aftermarket Longshot springs are typically 5.5" of free space and 1.3" of solid space, this one is 3.5".   However, a cutdown C-882 Century spring Company spring (7/8thsx8-1/2"x.072 wire gauge, 22 coils, I love this spring) works great cut down to 15 coils, squared and ends ground and has generally the same wire gauge, coil spacing and coil pitch as a rival spring.  Rival springs are good for other blasters however...like Firestrikes...

2. and 3.  I recently worked on my friends Singled longshot, where I used the C-882 spring as the center spring and a OMW 10Kg spring as the outer spring, but also used 5/8"ths of a Century C-528 spring (3/16thsx1"x.028" wire gauge).  A pen spring just isn't the right yield for a good longshot trigger catch spring.

--Cartaya

Hmm thanks, what you said about throwing the rival spring in a firestrike, will it work in like a nitefinder?

#6 markeski

markeski

• Members
  • 94 posts
  • State:Illinois

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:07 AM

Orange Mod Works sells tested and proven springs that work and fit perfectly in the longshot.  If you go for the option to buy their kits (stage 1 and 2) they come with some high strength polycarbonate components.  The most vital components aside from a spring upgrade is a sled upgrade.  Stage 2 kits come with polycarbonate sleds which are much more rigid and impact resistant then the stock plastic (I have broke a stock sled on a 10kg springload after about 2 events using a pump action grip that evenly pulls the sled back on both sides.  The kits are great value for money and also come with the catch spring and main spring.  

If you're a complete newbie and have no idea how to install a kit, they sell premodified longshots as well that are only about $10-20 above the cost of the parts/blaster they're made of for a service fee to install them. 

#7 The2ndBluesBro

The2ndBluesBro

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • State:Ontario
  • MKC on Youtube

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:30 AM

Also, don't count on pump action grips "evenly distributing the load" as a replacement for reinforcement. While it is good that they work that way, the actual mechanical deficiency isn't fixed. Reinforcement is absolutely necessary.

Nerf, Gaming, knives: https://www.youtube....FjcObRZTl2KReDQ

#8 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts
  • State:Pennsylvania

Posted 07 April 2016 - 10:11 PM

C-882 Century spring Company spring (7/8thsx8-1/2"x.072 wire gauge, 22 coils,

Cartaya, it seems like Century spring company has their own item/stock number on their website, and then another number that they give when selling in stores. Based on those specs, though, it seems like it's CSC Stock #377. Does that look right to you?

Edited by jwasko, 07 April 2016 - 10:11 PM.

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#9 Cartaya

Cartaya

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 10:33 PM

Cartaya, it seems like Century spring company has their own item/stock number on their website, and then another number that they give when selling in stores. Based on those specs, though, it seems like it's CSC Stock #377. Does that look right to you?

Oh why do they do that? Yea that's the spring, good eye man.  The number I was using is the one Orchard Supply and Hardware uses. 

Also thanks for the official stats, It's hard drawn...Good to know....

...As for the Nitefinder, standard draw sure, expanded draw by moving up the PT head (recommended) probably no.  Find this spring we're talking about and learn to cut springs.  If you need help, message me.

Edited by Cartaya, 07 April 2016 - 10:45 PM.

#10 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 11:19 PM

Oh why do they do that? Yea that's the spring, good eye man.  The number I was using is the one Orchard Supply and Hardware uses.

Yeah they're apparently really weird. A little while ago I ordered a "C-836" (7/8x4x0.080, ~15coils) off Amazon. It's the spring that a lot of people put in Sledgefires, and I think it's the same as the "Handyman" and Primeline 9713 that you can get from Home Depot.

Anyway I got a pair of springs in a sealed bag with CSC's logo and website printed on it. The bag says C-836. But if I look up 836 on CSC's website I get this which isn't even close.

Looking up the dimensions it seems to be CSC Stock#891...#2711 and 2808 are similar dimensions but the number of coils seems wrong.

So either they renumbered everything recently, or they just have two IDs for everything and don't cross-reference.

Edited by jwasko, 07 April 2016 - 11:21 PM.

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves

#11 Cartaya

Cartaya

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 11:38 PM

I wonder How we could find any method to this madness?  I recently got a 8"x1"x.091 gauge spring 25 coils at it was called a C-884 I believe (edit: corrected).  Now this I would throw in a sledge if I could....

Edited by Cartaya, 08 April 2016 - 01:22 AM.

#12 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 12:38 AM

I wonder How we could find any method to this madness?  I recently got a 8"x1"x.091 gauge spring 25 coils at it was called a C-810 I believe.  Now this I would throw in a sledge if I could....

884? :wacko:

But yeah I think 1" is too wide of an OD for a sledgefire.

By the way a [k26] is just a little too wide to replace a stock Dualstrike spring. It sticks in the "cup" of the plunger head. I left the spring ends open and cut it so that there's just a bit of precompression. Need to find a spring that fits over the outside of that cup (preferably without paying full OMW price for their longshot spring) but for now I threw a stock LS spring on there.

Haven't done any actual tests with those springs yet other than "yes it will catch."

Edited by jwasko, 08 April 2016 - 12:45 AM.

#13 Cartaya

Cartaya

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 01:21 AM

884, ahh thank you again. Yea that's it, I knew I was wrong.

Lets see, I wonder if I could make a spring guide for a [k26] to fit in there. Sounds like I need to get my hands on a [k26].  I do it all the time on my pistols.  Right now I have a Thunderbow Spring and a OMW 8 Kg longshot spring and I improvised by taping duct tape on the outer guide the OMW spring rests on and took the excess to center the spring.  Very similar to a #377 spring but .068 gauge.  

A [k26] and a stock longshot would be great for a Dual-Strike.

Edited by Cartaya, 08 April 2016 - 01:31 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users