Photo

Armageddon XVII: SoCal's Largest NIC War (2016)

armageddon war nic war nerf war diy class

53 replies to this topic

#1 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 12:39 AM

ARMAGEDDON XVII: 2016

Date:
Saturday, 11 June 2016

Time:
9:00 to 4:00+
(Arrive around nine; people like to chat before the war. We'll try and start running rounds by 9:45 at the latest.)

7vep7lR.jpg

(Courtesy of Zorn's Lemma, a 2016 group photo.)

725 S Vencino Dr
Glendora, CA 91740

Use this link for a custom map for the site, and possible backups.

Feel free to share this war around Facebook. People not registered on NH are welcome to join; the more, the merrier.

Remember, using these locations is a privilege, not a right. Use the golden rule: Don't Be A Dick.

FAQ

Where and when?
The war is 11 June 2016, from 9:00 to whenever (usually 4:00, but later is not impossible). Location data is available above.

Darts?
Slugs and safer darts only. No metal is preferred but I understand that to maximize attendance while keeping it safe I need to keep this restriction more open. If you do make slugs, use #6 washers and not #8 washers. Use Ryan McNumbers' excellent guide available here if you plan on making slugs. If you use larger ammo, like megas or similar, keep them soft-tipped by the same guidelines as above.

You are also free to use stock-style darts, obviously. China Darts as reviewed by Cheerios are fine. FVJ darts aren't ideal but feel free to use them.

Who?
Everyone is welcome to come, veterans and newcomers alike. I'm not going to outright ban people younger than 13, but if you plan on bringing someone who is, you are responsible for them all day and you are especially responsible for them remaining safe (hydrated and wearing eye protection). I will be running this war with the assistance of others (including, but not limited to, Zorn and Apollo256).

What isn't allowed?
With dart restrictions, there isn't as much of a need for blaster regulations. Don't bring Titans shooting micro darts because that's just ridiculous. I and other war council advisors will spot-ban things if you are lasering dudes from a million miles away.

Blaster rules:
HOMEMADE AIRGUNS: Case-by-case basis. It is highly recommended that you talk to me beforehand (send me a PM or something).

TITANS: You may use them if they fire missiles (stock or Draconis or whatever) or balls. They must not be firing darts, of any size.

LBB/4B/UMB/SIMILAR: You may use them if they have the functional stock OPRV.

SUPER SOAKERS/SIMILAR: Do not bring them. If they shoot darts, they're too powerful. If they shoot water, people get mad.

SCEPTORS: If you want to use a Sceptor, make it colorful. Make it look as little like a paintball gun as possible. Wrap the tank in denim or something. If you replace the tank or pump, the OPRV must be kept at the same pressure and the tank volume may not be made any larger (stock is about 800cc).

SUPERMAXX 2000/5000/9000: Do whatever. I hope you don't blow up your tank.

MELEE WEAPONS: Don't bring anything larger than these (Mashoongas).

SHIELDS: Hits on shields count as hits on you if you plan to use them. I'm nostalgic enough to say that Manta Rays count as actual shields against 1/2" darts, though.

Anything else?
1.) To stop a round for safety reasons, yell out the word "HOLD". If you hear someone call "HOLD", STOP PLAYING IMMEDIATELY. At any time during a round, anyone can call "Hold", which will temporarily stop that round. Players should repeat the call of Hold so that all other players hear, until the round stops completely. If a pedestrian is walking through the field, if a player is injured or if there is some other threat to personal safety, you are obligated to call hold. You can call a hold to pause the game and sort out some issue that is not a matter of personal safety, but do not abuse it.
2.) No barrel taps allowed. Barrel taps are how you absolutely gouge someone with a brass barrel and take out a chunk of skin. Barrel taps are how you break the barrel and bushing off your blaster. You can shoot them from point-blank, or you can ask them to take the hit. Don't touch them with your blaster.

What gametypes?
Expect to play some carpe testiculum and related gametypes. There will probably be some quick-run deathmatch as well, to suit those people like Gears with a bloodlust that knows no bounds. Last year, speed rounds and freeze tag were big hits, so those will make another appearance. There will be minimal team captain team picking to keep downtime short.

Anything else?
Bring lots of water. I'll probably end up picking up a pallet of water bottles as backup but it does get hot and you will probably be running around so expect to need to drink something.
Bring lots of sunscreen, because no one wants a sunburn now or skin cancer later.
There are a lot of places to eat nearby. Traditionally, people eat at The Hat for lunch, which is conveniently about four blocks away from the war site.
Bring comfortable shoes. You will be running around.

If you have specific questions or concerns, PM me, or post them here, or whatever.

Attending:
Ice Nine

Zorn's Lemma

Ryan201821

CaliforniaPants

Apollo256

JLego

Groove

Zaxbys

Daniel Beaver

Hoongfu

Koree

Mysterio

Cannonball

Cartaya

mrcool91

Number 1 Nerf Nut

KiritoNerf

Minislayer5000

Azrael

Hans

+ Several Others On Facebook Who Don't Have NH Accounts/Whose NH Accounts I Don't Know

Maybe:

Spoon

Sublimedom777

Gears

Doom

Edited by Ice Nine, 27 June 2016 - 02:22 PM.

Unholy Three: DUPLUM SCRTA, DUPLUM PROBLEMA (2009)

But Zeke guns tend to be like proofs by contradiction

Theoretically solid but actually non-constructive

Rnbw Cln

#2 Cartaya

Cartaya

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:32 AM

Going.

....Fear of a Nerf Planet!

#3 sublimedom777

sublimedom777

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 11:04 AM

I'm going to give it my best effort, but it is entirely going to depend on:

Getting off work

Getting to SoCal cheap
Crashing with a local

I'll for sure give an absolute notice as soon as I can.

Last of the Sex Dwarves, Head of Waifu Relations, Fetishizer of Blasters, The Far Warring, Mini-Van Driver, Possessor of Mattels, and Warden of the Manongahela

We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#4 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:59 AM

POPULAR

Good to know, Dom, thanks.

Big announcement:

The date of the war has changed from 18 June to 11 June because I have a wedding to attend on the 18th and I forgot about it until yesterday.

I hope this doesn't affect many people who were planning to attend; I've talked to a couple of the people traveling big distances and they're fine with it, so hopefully the locals are too.

Edited by Ice Nine, 12 February 2016 - 11:00 AM.

Rnbw Cln

#5 Number 1 nerf nut

Number 1 nerf nut

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 06:59 PM

Good to know, Dom, thanks.

Big announcement:

The date of the war has changed from 18 June to 11 June because I have a wedding to attend on the 18th and I forgot about it until yesterday.

I hope this doesn't affect many people who were planning to attend; I've talked to a couple of the people traveling big distances and they're fine with it, so hopefully the locals are too.

Thanks for the wedding, because our lease ends on the 18th and I might not have made it.  :D

1 Peter 2:24 "Who His own self bare our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed."

Get Ready for Jesus, He is coming soon!

#6 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 06:34 PM

POPULAR

I'll be there and so will Zaxbys.

(Obligatory 'Wonder Twin powers, activate' line)

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#7 mrcool91

mrcool91

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 11:12 AM

so where can i find the exact rules on darts? the darts i have are just the basic bulk Chinese ones you can get on amazon. 

#8 CaliforniaPants

CaliforniaPants

Futtbrustrated

• Moderators
  • 459 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 04:36 PM

so where can i find the exact rules on darts? the darts i have are just the basic bulk Chinese ones you can get on amazon. 

thats fine

trans as shit because fuck you

#9 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 02:59 PM

This is already one serious attendance list. Get hyped.

Darts?

Slugs and safer darts only. No metal is preferred but I understand that to maximize attendance while keeping it safe I need to keep this restriction more open. If you do make slugs, use #6 washers and not #8 washers. Use Ryan McNumbers' excellent guide available here if you plan on making slugs. If you use larger ammo, like megas or similar, keep them soft-tipped by the same guidelines as above.

You are also free to use stock-style darts, obviously. China Darts as reviewed by Cheerios are fine. FVJ darts aren't ideal but feel free to use them.

You can also ask more specific questions in here if the above lines aren't clear. As Pants said, those should be fine, as long as the tips aren't filled with hot glue or tacks or something.

Rnbw Cln

#10 apocalypticamerica

apocalypticamerica

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 03:31 PM

I'll be driving down from the bay area (Oakland) again for this one, if anyone wants to carpool. Looking forward to it.  

#11 mrcool91

mrcool91

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 04:55 PM

This is already one serious attendance list. Get hyped.

You can also ask more specific questions in here if the above lines aren't clear. As Pants said, those should be fine, as long as the tips aren't filled with hot glue or tacks or something.

Ok, thanks for the further clarification. I was trying to search up on the forums and youtube for a review by cheerios and saw that i did not have darts similar to that. 

So I'm interested in June and that would be my first nerf war. did you guys have any gameplay links on youtube i can watch? and also im not really sure about what tactical gear would be appropriate for this event, as well as an appropriate number of darts to bring. 

#12 CaliforniaPants

CaliforniaPants

Futtbrustrated

• Moderators
  • 459 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:29 PM

POPULAR

Ok, thanks for the further clarification. I was trying to search up on the forums and youtube for a review by cheerios and saw that i did not have darts similar to that. 

So I'm interested in June and that would be my first nerf war. did you guys have any gameplay links on youtube i can watch? and also im not really sure about what tactical gear would be appropriate for this event, as well as an appropriate number of darts to bring. 

bring as many darts as you can, mark them with an initial or something so you can pick them out of the pile after dart sweeps. painting all the backs a bright color so you can see them in the grass since they're black foam is a good idea.

"tactical gear" is up to you and what blasters you use. if you love magazine fed blasters you might want a way to carry extras, if you dont then a mesh back with a clip onto your belt loop for darts is a good way to go. remember: its summer and you will be moving at least at a walking pace for a lot of the day. i recommend shorts, they're comfy and easy to wear. 

#13 mrcool91

mrcool91

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:33 PM

ok, i think i can finally confirm that I will be at this event! woohoo :D and i might bring some other people with me too. how many people usually attend? 

#14 Cartaya

Cartaya

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:05 AM

40-50, sometimes more.  It's a pretty bitching war.

....Fear of a Nerf Planet!

#15 mrcool91

mrcool91

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:03 PM

would only bringing stock blasters put me at a disadvantage?

#16 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:33 PM

NOTE TO EVERYONE:

Last Saturday, I had a discussion with the janitor of the school that we're using. He reminded us to be a little bit better about cleaning up after ourselves, since he was still finding dart remnants on the field and that he could easily get us kicked out if he wanted. It wasn't very nice to hear but this is a great site so please make sure to clean up after yourself and to dart sweep thoroughly when we set that up.

would only bringing stock blasters put me at a disadvantage?

There's enough cover and enough variety in gametypes that it won't be a huge disadvantage, but you will almost certainly be outranged. There are people who play using Vortex disc blasters and stock or mildly-modded electronic blasters and they do fine, though, and people are usually willing to lend out extra blasters if they have them sitting around (so feel free to ask around).

If you want to get a sense of what people were using, you can glance at the group photo from last year.

Rnbw Cln

#17 apocalypticamerica

apocalypticamerica

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:08 PM

please make sure to clean up after yourself and to dart sweep thoroughly when we set that up.

I had a little trouble finding some of my darts at Christmastravaganza, but I'm sure that was partially due to a lot of fallen leaves on the ground.  Do you expect this to be less of a problem in the summer?  Regardless, maybe it's a good idea to bring a rake?  I certainly don't mind volunteering to do some more in-depth dart sweeping.  

Edited by apocalypticamerica, 24 February 2016 - 06:09 PM.

#18 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 05:21 PM

I had a little trouble finding some of my darts at Christmastravaganza, but I'm sure that was partially due to a lot of fallen leaves on the ground.  Do you expect this to be less of a problem in the summer?  Regardless, maybe it's a good idea to bring a rake?  I certainly don't mind volunteering to do some more in-depth dart sweeping.  

That's a very good point. During the summer, there isn't really any kind of foliage obstacle, and last year we didn't have a lot of problems cleaning up (big ups to the people who stayed late to help, and especially big ups to Apollo, who I believe went back the next day to make sure that everything got taken care of).

Bringing a rake is a really good suggestion, though, thanks. I mostly wanted to put it out there to remind people that using this excellent site is a privilege and losing it would be a huge shame.

Rnbw Cln

#19 hoongfu

hoongfu

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 01:12 PM

I'm in.   I'll see if I can bring my giant magnet on a stick. 

#20 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 02:12 PM

A little more than two months to go and the attendance list is looking pretty. We have people coming from the Midwest, from the East coast, from the South, and from all over California; a rough count puts us at thirty or so people at the moment, which is a great start. Please feel free to ask any questions if you're not clear on the rules or logistics or anything else, or if there's anything in particular you'd like to say about or suggest for the war.

Rnbw Cln

#21 KiritoNerf

KiritoNerf

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 11:34 AM

Two question

1.Do u have to be a certain age to go?

Ex I am 12 years old and I want to go

2 is there a form I have to fill out? if so is it online or here on NH?

#22 CaliforniaPants

CaliforniaPants

Futtbrustrated

• Moderators
  • 459 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 02:49 PM

Two question

1.Do u have to be a certain age to go?

Ex I am 12 years old and I want to go

2 is there a form I have to fill out? if so is it online or here on NH?

if you are under 13 you must be accompanied by an adult or someone older that will be responsible for you.

there is no form to fill out, just follow the rules and be a good person. 

Edited by CaliforniaPants, 08 April 2016 - 02:51 PM.

#23 NetherMax1

NetherMax1

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 05:30 PM

Is anyone going to film some of this?

I wanna know because:

A) There's no way in heck I can attend

b)I want to see the glory....

Edited by NetherMax1, 10 April 2016 - 05:30 PM.

Talio:"Negative points for no pirate monkey."

Who needs silence when you have full-auto?

#24 CaliforniaPants

CaliforniaPants

Futtbrustrated

• Moderators
  • 459 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 01:16 AM

Is anyone going to film some of this?

I wanna know because:

A) There's no way in heck I can attend

b)I want to see the glory....

the past few geddons have been filmed by multiple people in multiple ways, but the videos never really get posted like they used to. this year im going to try to encourage people that are filming to post them on their own in addition to giving the footage to someone that wants to edit everyone's together. 

#25 hoongfu

hoongfu

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 08:36 AM

I'll be bringing my gopro.   As always, raw/lightly edited footage uploaded way late on my youtube channel. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: armageddon, war, nic war, nerf war, diy class

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users