11 replies to this topic

#1 Aeromech

Aeromech

• Moderators
  • 434 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 03:24 AM

Preface:

20160124_020340_zps2gfs9rwo.jpg

The humble pullback, lightweight and balanced. But what if you wanted to fuck with that completely? What if you wanted to add a grip to the front or an underslung blaster of some sort? Because drilling into the plunger tube isn't possible, the solution hitherto was to dump a fuckload of hot glue on there and pray the grip/ nitefinder pistol didn't shear off mid-war. Come on guys, we're better than this.

20160124_020226_zpszafc1hje.jpg

Heheh

This post hopes to provide the abstract for an easy solution to mounting foregrips and underslungs to pullback/bow style tubular blasters such as rainbows and snap-bows. This is gonna be a short one.

Materials

~12" thinwall 1-1/2" PVC -OR- 1-1/2 PVC halfpipe a la ESLT (thanks MHA and blitz)

Cutting Board

Tape

Foregrip or blaster you intend to mount

#6 flat-head screws of various sizes (depending on the building materials you have available)

Tools

Saw

Drill with various bits

Long shank countersink

Long nose screwdriver

Let's hit this like a sack of bricks

20160124_020425_zpskqhjqv09.jpg

This is the parasite mounting system and pistol. It's a Rainbow pistol without a grip, and instead with two sideplates and an over-sized trigger, made of cutting board in this picture. The sideplates connect on the top to the thinwall PVC via screws sunk internally from the top into the sideplates themselves, evidenced by the three assembly holes an the top-front of the thinwall.

20160124_020438_zpsn23td4j3.jpg

The thinwall will rest against whatever handle you have on the blaster, so it is fairly stable. Now we just need to attach it...

20160124_020501_zpsntoc9e57.jpg

The only modification needed to the blaster is a couple of screw holes on each side, and a few wraps of E-tape to bridge the Diameter gap between the thinwall and the 1-1/4" plungertube PVC, which is pretty small to begin with. Then the whole assembly slides right on from the front!

20160124_020627_zps3f6rqpn7.jpg

The pullback bar in resting position. It's actually rather comfortable to prime, the space is just big enough for your fingers and actually pretty intuitive when you use it.

20160124_020649_zpsn2yj5jot.jpg

Parasite Pistol Primed. Plenty of room for fingers. You don't notice it at all. Also note the positioning of the pistol trigger, you actuate it with your palm, not your index finger. Takes some getting used to.

20160124_021228_zpsjxs49mdt.jpg

Very easy to cut out a small slot for your anti-vacuum holes. Also note the pullbar matches the curvature of the thinwall PVC, so this is actually a unidirectional catch! (an advantage, in my book)

Results

20160124_030213_zps2atyriub_edit_1453622

--The blaster, originally weighing in at 2 pounds with barrel and hopper, now weighs 3 pounds, 9 ounces. So this particular configuration adds ~1.5 pounds to your setup. Could shave off maybe an ounce by adding lightening holes. Also shifts the center of gravity from right at the trigger to about 6 inches AHEAD of the trigger. So it FEELS heavy because the weight's all the way out there hanging off the front. It FEELS cumbersome and strips away the advantage the pullback had, that was mobility, the ability to swing it around because of it's featherweight. Most of the mass comes from the pistol, so if you were just adding a foregrip, this may be a reasonable "mod" for your bow style blaster, and may only add like half a pound. As it stands, it's super solid.

--That's a lot of weight for one shot, so I run this as a SHOTGUN, BABY. Throw like five darts into the pistol and we be gucci, french toast. With half a [k26] in the there, it gets great range even shotgunned. My room is maybe 12 yards long, but it hits the wall with a nice spread and a good amount of force. Could also add a shorty barrel and hopper if you are insane and want to add even more weight to the front.

--Forward trigger is a little awkward, I need to re-shape it, but it's 2am and I want to get this up. Actually decently comfortable just to hold, the 1-1/4 inch plunger tube of the pistol is just the right DIA.

--Super easy to remove if you don't like it or want to change it out for a different attachment. Though keep in mind you need a lot of thinwall if you intend to swap out multiple types of underbarrel attachements

--Need to fine-tune the sideplates shape in my 3D files before I get this out to the community. They're currently really blocky but it's a prototype and it actually works fairly well. Can easily increase comfort and maybe shave off a couple ounces. If you make this yourself, cutting board would work just fine for pistol-mounting.

Use this instead of hotglue, it looks horrible. You spent all that time and money making the thing look professional and then you're going to blast that shit all over it? Just... no. Use this. If you don't have the long-shank countersink tool to use on the thinwall, you can VERY CARFEULLY use a drill bit but I DO NOT RECC'D it. Expect to mess up several times. The take-away here is that you can use this thinwall PVC mounting method (which I dub "parasite") to mount your foregrip/ tac rail/ sack of potatoes to the front of pullback style blasters and not look like shit and actually stay on.

20160124_020742_zpsoxgrf3il.jpg

Money shot. Now with extra flailing appendages.

-Aeromech

Edited by Aeromech, 28 January 2016 - 01:14 AM.

Watch my shitty videos

This is so ghetto but so awesome.

#2 The2ndBluesBro

The2ndBluesBro

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 08:43 AM

Good work. So simple I don't know why no one has done it before. I would've underslung an airgun, but there's no nothing wrong with a RBPistol. Only issue I can see is sourcing the thinwall pipe, which from what I remember is difficult to find.

Edited by The2ndBluesBro, 24 January 2016 - 08:44 AM.

Nerf, Gaming, knives: https://www.youtube....FjcObRZTl2KReDQ

#3 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 09:52 AM

Good work. So simple I don't know why no one has done it before. I would've underslung an airgun, but there's no nothing wrong with a RBPistol. Only issue I can see is sourcing the thinwall pipe, which from what I remember is difficult to find.

Not sure if it'll help Canadians, but you can buy it here and pick up in store, if you're fortunate enough to live near a DoItBest.

Nice job on this Aeromech, I would be nervous about the thinwall cracking around the screws, but since it's holding up for you I guess I'm just underestimating PVC.

You said that the palm-trigger takes some getting used to, and it looks like it. I'm not a fan of vertical foregrips, but maybe you could have the pistol's priming grip return forward after priming. Reshape it into a vertical foregrip and then you could put a more "normal" trigger on the pistol.

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#4 skullface44

skullface44

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 10:30 AM

Thin wall is pretty easy to get, garden stores sell it sometimes, jjdowns has it and flex pvc ships to canada 

#5 Snoop Doggy doge

Snoop Doggy doge

Fig you, Van

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 12:24 PM

5 shots by stuffing the entire barrel? This is pretty cool. Would want to see it hopped because why the fuck not, lmao. I think you can attatch a similar system to a rainbow pump, and I'm tempted to try now. Also, how do you plan on solving the hand ergonomics? I guess this is great for a gross motor skill under the stress when the finger no do the working. 

#6 Aeromech

Aeromech

• Moderators
  • 434 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 01:58 PM

Everyone seems to find it in their local hardware stores, but I just buy it online because it's never available in my vicinity.

Not sure if it'll help Canadians, but you can buy it here and pick up in store, if you're fortunate enough to live near a DoItBest.

Nice job on this Aeromech, I would be nervous about the thinwall cracking around the screws, but since it's holding up for you I guess I'm just underestimating PVC.

You said that the palm-trigger takes some getting used to, and it looks like it. I'm not a fan of vertical foregrips, but maybe you could have the pistol's priming grip return forward after priming. Reshape it into a vertical foregrip and then you could put a more "normal" trigger on the pistol.

The screws on the thinwall actually don't take too much force. You have a snug fit with the electrical tape against the plunger tube, the back of the parasite is supported by the pistol grip itself, and the screws are really only to make sure the thing doesn't fly off the front and also prevents rotation. Plus I have four total, two on each side, so the force is fairly well distributed.

The palm trigger is only weird because it's not shaped very well. I need to make it a little bigger and then it will be fine. I was working on this for like five hours into the dark hours of the night and just wanted it done, so ergonomics was not sitting at the head of the class at the time.

5 shots by stuffing the entire barrel? This is pretty cool. Would want to see it hopped because why the fuck not, lmao. I think you can attatch a similar system to a rainbow pump, and I'm tempted to try now. Also, how do you plan on solving the hand ergonomics? I guess this is great for a gross motor skill under the stress when the finger no do the working. 

I've hoppered rainbow pistols before, they get like slightly better than stock nitefinder ranges. The shotgun is where it's at for me. I just love shotguns. Future double barrel, anyone?

And this begs the question of, why hopper the thing at all? You already have a more than capable primary that has a relatively high ROF and hopper clip, what do you gain by adding a hopper to the parasite? The range wouldn't be as good, the ROF wouldn't be as good (assuming you're shouldering the blaster) and you don't gain anything the pullback doesn't already give you. I'd never run this as a single-shot. I run it as a shotgun because in the event you are reloading the main blaster, you have one more trick up your sleeve, you can panic-fire the parasite while reloading or rushing a capture point or something like that, and you get about a second of disorientation and a good spread to boot, so precise aiming isn't necessary. From ten yards my spread is about four feet with three darts, so it's hard to actually dodge. Add more darts and it becomes even more difficult.

The ergonomics are easy to solve, this was more of a proof of concept than anything else. A simple chamfer operation on the edges around the bottom would solve all the problems, and shaving off 1/8" or so from each side would take off some weight and make it easier to hold. Right now, you actually hold it from the tube, and slide your hand backwards, almost like a pump, when you want to fire. And as admitted previously, the palm trigger is a bit too small, Just need to shape a new one when I feel like it and it'll solve most of the problems I already mentioned. Still, it works and I'm happy with it, though I think the added weight as a secondary blaster will delegate this to the wall, This mounting method is better used for maybe panther tanks or foregrips on snap-bows or rainbow-bows.

Edited by Aeromech, 24 January 2016 - 02:31 PM.

Watch my shitty videos

#7 Snoop Doggy doge

Snoop Doggy doge

Fig you, Van

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 05:58 PM

Hopper because lel why not. Just to see. Shotgun is probably best for this, I'm just really curious how t's 5 shot, rammed barrel? Also why not speedload it too lmao. 

#8 DICE134

DICE134

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 09:51 PM

I think you can attatch a similar system to a rainbow pump, and I'm tempted to try now

This could probably be done if you make the attachment pull to prime (like seen in this creation http://nerfhaven.com...4-the-new-firm/). If you don't do that, then you couldn't have the attachment primed, and pump back the rainbow.

Also, good work Aeromech, I'm surprised I haven't seen this mounting before, it really is a good idea.

#9 Aeromech

Aeromech

• Moderators
  • 434 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:16 AM

Also why not speedload it too lmao. 

Read: 3AM, tired as fuck

This could probably be done if you make the attachment pull to prime (like seen in this creation http://nerfhaven.com...4-the-new-firm/). If you don't do that, then you couldn't have the attachment primed, and pump back the rainbow.

Also, good work Aeromech, I'm surprised I haven't seen this mounting before, it really is a good idea.

Shit I forgot how insane SNAP/pre-hopper technology looked.

Thanks, me too. The thinwall pump has been around for a long time, this simply makes your pump immobile. The thinwall itself is pretty lightweight, so if this was used to foregrip something, it would do so much better than hotglue.

Watch my shitty videos

#10 blitz

blitz

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:00 AM

I like it, but why the thinwall pipe? Seems like it would be better to use regular, stronger thickwall 1.5" and then just snap it on the blaster. If you had a halfpipe-attached "parasite" that could be trapped between the handle and a screw/bushing on the front, it could be snapped on and off without screws. I suppose that it might add weight, but I don't feel like it'd be much.

Just a thought, given that this is a prototype and you are in the process of redesign. I'll have to build one!

Blitz, member of the FNBS
"sexual innuendo no intendo"

#11 Aeromech

Aeromech

• Moderators
  • 434 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:14 PM

I like it, but why the thinwall pipe? Seems like it would be better to use regular, stronger thickwall 1.5" and then just snap it on the blaster. If you had a halfpipe-attached "parasite" that could be trapped between the handle and a screw/bushing on the front, it could be snapped on and off without screws. I suppose that it might add weight, but I don't feel like it'd be much.

That's a great idea using the half pipe method. May steal that. Only problem is the weight, 1.5 PVC is heavy as all hell, I may add some holes to it to lighten it up if I do that. Would still probably throw a zip tie on the front for good measure.

Edited by Aeromech, 25 January 2016 - 02:16 PM.

Watch my shitty videos

#12 laser

laser

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:37 AM

so its been a bit more than a month sorry mods :( but i just wanted to say, please make a double barrel it would be amazing 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: underbarrel, attachment, secondary, spring, pistol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users