Photo

In Need of Help with Setting Up Wars

5 replies to this topic

#1 HatBlasterandKazoo

HatBlasterandKazoo

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 09:55 PM

I'm relatively new to Nerf, but I'd like to start some wars in my local community (try taking that last bit out of context, heh). I do frequent the Rochester Foam Dart League (for those in the Rochester, NY area), however I do find the soccer field play-area, and the 110FPS limit unfortunately limiting. I'd like to set something up for people in my town on days that the RFDL isn't going, but I don't know where to start, or what to be concerned about legally. I recall seeing a thread that covers how to SET UP wars, but my problem is more regarding the legal stuff. I know the RFDL has velocity limits, and no melees/shields and even waivers to be signed for a reason, but I'd like to know if there is a reasonable way around that.

EDIT: [I'm out of posts for the day, I won't be able to reply until tomorrow, that shouldn't be too big of a problem though, I wouldn't be able to anyways due to school and other conflicts]

Edited by HatBlasterandKazoo, 20 January 2016 - 09:55 PM.

#2 laser

laser

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 03:16 AM

i dont think you need waivers so long as everybody agrees your not held responsible for any injury that may (very rarely) occur the fps limits are just choice as are dart types and blaster bans. Melees and shields are also personal preference.

#3 shandsgator8

shandsgator8

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 06:08 AM

There is no right answer to your question. Given the US legal system, someone can file a lawsuit against you for any reason, no matter how stupid, illogical or unfair. Sure, they may not win, but you have to deal with the lawsuit either way.

There's talk about waivers, but that doesn't guarantee anything, except maybe you'll sleep better at night. Common sense and making sure those "too young" have parental supervision at your Nerf wars seems to be the norm.

#4 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:03 AM

I've understood waivers to only really be necessary if you're a part of a larger organization setting up the wars (School, church, for-profit, etc.). If you're just some guy on the internet asking a bunch of people to come play with you in a park, you're not nearly as likely to be held liable for anything. Making eye protection mandatory settles most of the issues either way.

Langley would probably have better advice as a regular large-war host, so hopefully he'll chime in.

#5 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:55 AM

POPULAR

We had a thread on waivers not that long ago.  This is what I said there:

I'm not a lawyer.

If you're having the event on public property, like a park, I wouldn't bother with waivers. Waivers signed by minors or their parents are rarely enforced in criminal cases. If a bunch of people show up in a park with their own blasters, and someone gets shot in the eye, you're just the guy who told everyone the time and the date to show up. But if you hand out waivers you're automatically the person in charge, and on some level you're taking responsibility for what goes on.

As far as safety, I typically require eye protection for all players and anyone under 13 must be accompanied by an adult.  I require slug style darts with no exposed metal, and ask people not to use poorly made darts if I see them.  I don't allow homemade air guns, modified water guns, singled titans or anything else that's too overpowered.  If you encounter the police, tell everyone to stop playing, and put your blasters down on the ground.  Act friendly and polite, and have a brightly colored stock dart in your pocket to show them.  Stay the hell away from bystanders and stop the game if someone gets too close.  I think that pretty much covers it.

Good luck with your war!

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#6 HatBlasterandKazoo

HatBlasterandKazoo

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 08:30 PM

We had a thread on waivers not that long ago.  This is what I said there:

As far as safety, I typically require eye protection for all players and anyone under 13 must be accompanied by an adult.  I require slug style darts with no exposed metal, and ask people not to use poorly made darts if I see them.  I don't allow homemade air guns, modified water guns, singled titans or anything else that's too overpowered.  If you encounter the police, tell everyone to stop playing, and put your blasters down on the ground.  Act friendly and polite, and have a brightly colored stock dart in your pocket to show them.  Stay the hell away from bystanders and stop the game if someone gets too close.  I think that pretty much covers it.

Good luck with your war!

Alright, thanks a ton for your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users